Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Well I've had my X for 1yr and 5mos and have enjoyed it immensely during that time but I'm seriously considering trading it in for the 2002 Odyssey. I initially bought the MDX as a spur of the moment thing and now I need something bit more geared towards the family. With the 2nd child on the way, I think the Ody will probably better serve our purpose for a family vehicle in regards to practicality and space. One limitation(if you can call it that) that I find about the X is that it when the 3rd seat is used, there's hardly any room in the back for any storage. Heck you can't even fit a stroller back there let alone one of those double ones. For example, when going out with the parents or any visotors I will need to use 3rd row seats. Another reason being the cost issue. I recently purchased a 2k2 Maxima(my 95 max beginning to show its signs of age) and need to balance out my finances. I've checked out edmunds TMV and it shows $35k if I sell it to a private party and $33 for trade in. I'm expecting around $35-36K for trade-in. Any thoughts on what I should expect? Mine is a touring with 8K mi on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
33k for Trade in would be very good, more like 32k, 32.5k. They will mark it up 3k and remake their commission all over again. Sell it private and it'll be awhile but someone will pick it up for 35k, forget about 36k. This is all in areas other than Cali or NY/NJ where you'll do better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
WOW only 8k miles in a 1 1/2 yrs. You don't drive it very much.
You could have kept the MDX for yourself and traded the old max in for a ODY. Too late now!!

Since a Touring MDX msrp is 37,780, I think you are expecting too much for your MDX. Also keep in mind that the 03 will be coming out in 6mths and Pilots are coming out in June. Your MDX is considered almost 3 years old in Oct. 02 for trade in/resale. Just MHO!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah..its my wife's and she is a stay at home mom so the mileage. One advantage of trading in the the X is the savings on the sales tax for the Ody. If I get the EXL, for around $28K that means savings of nearly $2k at 7% here in FL. OTOH, my 95 max book value is only 6k. I could keep the MDX but then again, I will mainly use the Max for commuting and I think a smaller car will be more practical than the X. Besides, with its 255hp v6 its a blast to drive.:D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Make sure you offset the loss of the MDX by getting the Ody with Navi:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to the Honda dealer to check out the Odyssey. Its a full foot longer than the X and with the 3rd seat up, its cavernous back there compared to the X. Given its longer size, it maybe bit more difficult to navigate but that is a minor issue in FL. So we went down to business and the used car manager appraised the X. The salesman came back with a figure that P*SSED me off. Get this, they were going to start at $27,000 for the X on top of $1000 premium for the Ody. I got so PO'd that I almost got up and left. From what little we discussed after that point, it maybe likely that they would have given me around $32K for the X and MSRP for the Ody. I'm thinking that if I want to trade in the X, I should do it before the Pilot hits the market. By then, the trade in on the X will probably drop. Also might have a tougher time trying to sell it myself. On the one hand I like my X but on the other I kinda wonder if I jumped on the X too soon ....decisions...decisions....

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
VAT?????? 27K????????? Sheesh at least get them to 31 at the least.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Warzau,

Dealers try to "do it right" = Sell High, Buy Low!! All kidding aside, their attitude seems to be "gee, this guy just might be stupid, let's find out how bad we can #%@&* him".

Regarding your observation about doing this before the Pilot hits the dealers, I think that this would be smart. A loaded Pilot is only supposed to sell for $32,000 [that includes Nav or DVD]. I suspect that the Honda dealer will become less interested in paying you big bucks when they have their own new units that they can sell.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Car salesmen... Hate um!

I like the Odyessy, but has anybody considered this:

MDX cargo capacity advantage over Odyessy-
MDX can sit 5 and have a large amount of cargo space (third row seats down). Odyessy needs to have the third row seat up to sit 5. In fact the MDX can sit 6 and still have plenty of room (half of the third row seats folded).

Be happy with what you got! It's doesn't get much better!

·
Registered
266 Posts
sidewinder said:
....decisions...decisions....
27k! for 8k mileage . .is that the only local dealer in your area? If that is the case, keep the MDX.....your ROI on it will balance off in the next few years when the kids grow up....
I was in your shoes too when I was deciding on a new fam vehicle. The Oddy was high on my list and still is . .but being young, under 35, with a lot of energy and have a family that is always on the go.......I had to go with the MDX (well other reasons too!)
IF you find a dealer that can get you close to 35K and MSRP on the Oddy, then you got something. But, right now I hope you don't feel like you made a wrong decision with the MDX.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Emerald01 is correct. You have many options at your disposal with the X. I have two kids also. I took the youngest with me (three years old) to get a Foton and I didn't realize how much space those critters require. Anyway, I was able to get the foton and the mattress that goes with it in the X and still able to use the right middle seat for him to use (no front seat-air bag).

You can also only fold down one of the third row seats and still seat six, but still have plenty of room for just about anything but packing for vacation.

You have to do what's right for you, but it may not be as bad as you think. We wanted the extra space ourselves, which is why we traded in one of our cars, but we felt like we had more than enough space with the X.

BTW, I live in Louisville, but my two current Acuras have come from Lexington, 75 miles away. It was more than worth it for me. The Lexington dealership gave me a great deal on my X. From my personal experience (4 of last 6 cars purchased out-of-town) anytime a dealership has a chance to make a deal with an out-of-towner, they usually try hard to get the deal. And I was able to do it all over the phone. If your trading in an MDX with 8,000 miles on it, they do not need to see it to make an offer on it. Just something else to consider. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts