Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a used vehicle for commuting that is reliable and has 4wd. I saw an MDX on craigslist for sale by owner. It's a 2006 with 126000 miles. I know they don't have the best gas mileage but I can afford the loss there. My main concern is purchasing a reliable vehicle that will last until I finish college in 2 years and that can handle winter driving conditions.

I'm going to meet the owner today. I know it's over price but here is the vehicle.

boise(dot)craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-acura-mdx/6247711085(dot)html

Sorry this was the only way around the spam filter.

Are there any common problems with the MDX I should be aware of? I did some quick searches on Google and found a thread stating there are transmission problems and another asking if it's possible to purchase a reliable first generation MDX. What do you guys think?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The 2006 does not have transmission issues like the early ones..
It could have an issue with the Torque Converter but its not widespread.

Other possible issues.
1.- HFL unit defective depleting the battery = Solution is to disconnect it
2.- Radiator Failure could lead to ATF and Anti Freeze mixture = Solution is to replace it as preventive maintenance or bypass the ATF Warmer which is not recommended if you live in Freezing States.

With that low mileage I would first ask if the Timing Belt procedure has been done to the car as its meant to be done at 105K and its relatively expensive maintenance. If everything else is sound then go for it! VTM4 System is very good in the snow and should provide enough AWD Action and Ground Clearance to best pretty much anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks we looked at it today and the oil was leaking and two of the tires are worn due to not being rotated properly. We will likely not go with this one but we're waiting back on the seller to contact us after taking it to the mechanic to look at the oil leak.

What do you think of the 2007 Acura RDX 5-Spd AT? Is it better to stay away from this model because of the turbo?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Woahh If you can the RDX is a completely different Animal....
SH-AWD is vastly superior to VTM4 and the RDX packs a hell of a punch in that Turbo 4.

There are differences in problems though, The transmission luckily is not one of them.

1.- The Turbo K23 is not a bad Engine but its known to have some issues specially in the Turbo Waste Gate vacuum actuator getting stuck, Leading to some lean running conditions.. Solution is to remove the actuator and grease it as the Actuator is not sold separately.. You either grease the actuator or get an entire new turbo which is $$$$.. Being a Turbo 4 means that Engine Oil changes are of a Higher Importance so it will ask you for early changes and use of high quality oil so Maintenance is higher than a V6.

2.- MPGs are BAD for a 4 cyl Turbo but you have to remember that this small engine is trying to pull a 4000lb SUV so MPGs is not something you might look for in a RDX. The upside is that the RDX is FASTER than even a 2G MDX.. So 0 to 60 is done with ease and the smaller wheelbase and weight combined with SH-AWD makes it one of the most capable handling SUVs in the World, Up there with the likes of BMW X5 xDrive and Audi Q7 with Quattro.

On a side note: The RDX is a Small 5 Seat Crossover so it does not cross-shop between the bigger MDX.. There are 2 less seats, less inside space for cargo and room and less ground clearance..
I would probably look into a 2G Honda Pilot instead if you want to keep the SPACE/Capacity combo of the 1G MDX but avoid the Transmission issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had an 06 MDX for a few years and did suffer they the radiator failure, needed up with coolant in my tranny. Now I have an 11 and the biggest difference I'd say is the handling, the SH is far superior and I'd recommend going 07 or newer. When I was shopping for my 21 I was told to stay away from the turbo RDX by an Acura sales person. I didn't really look into it because size wife it didn't work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts