Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
'Prestigious'? I've never thought of any vehicle as prestigious and certainly not a beast like the Navigator. It may be over-priced expensive and loaded with leather and doo-dads but it's just a big box of a vehicle IMO - a Ford with a cosmetic makeover.
The guy was just stating his opinion. You don’t have to tear him down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Funny post I guess I could’ve used different wording. How about Loud American Excessive box on wheels. Wait is t the MDX a Honda Odyssey with a shaved back end, big hops and AWD? Lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Funny post I guess I could’ve used different wording. How about Loud American Excessive box on wheels. Wait isnt the MDX a Honda Odyssey with a shaved back end, big hips and AWD? Lol.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
MDX is not that good with 2 kids in the 2nd row capts and 3rd kid in the back. Depending on if you're using infant carseats still or front facing convertibles or boosters, you have some limitations on the movement of the 2nd row. For example, if you have [rear facing] infant seats in the 2nd row, you can't really even move the 2nd row forward to access the 3rd row. If you have front facing seats it's better, but with the center console between the capts and the lack of forward lean because of the mounted car seat, entering the 3rd really sucks. Also, like others have said, HVAC to the 3rd is abysmal. In order to get them comfy, the 2nd row needs to become frozen.

I would recommend hunting for a boxy SUV if you don't want a van (because seriously, vans are the best for more than 2 kids) since you'll have some more cargo volume in most cases for things like a wagon and all their gear. Not really sure what your priorities are though, OP. Just sounds like you want something that won't give you headaches with repairs. That's a very limited field and the current champions in those are either going to get you a Highlander (way too small), a Palisade (dealership experience really depends on your specific dealer), a Telluride (all their dealers suck), an Atlas (but it's a sloth and drives like a whale), or you could consider getting something like a Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe, or similar. For utility, the key here is really just the length of the vehicle to be honest. If you need to add driving spunk, then your field gets very limited.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone!

I've had a terrible streak with cars lately and unfortunately am already on the market again. I am looking at a 2020 MDX with AWD, Tech, trailer hitch, and Advanced packages. I am coming from a 2019 and 2020 Subaru Ascent Touring. The 2019 was plagued with issues since day one and I owned it for a little over a year and got about 33,000 miles on it. The 2020 I bought 8/20 and have possessed less than two weeks or so, the rest of the time it's been in the shop for problems that any new car shouldn't have. Broken seat frames, transmission issues, all kinds of badly made trim pieces, dealer inflicted damage, etc.

I am in the need of a three row SUV with captains chairs so that the third row is accessible. All three of my kiddos are either in car seats (2) or a booster. I know this doesn't have "true" captains chairs but as I understand it, I can slide the second row forward without needing to tilt to provide access to the third row. Has anyone found this type of second/third row to be too much hassle for dealing with kids getting back there?

Otherwise, is there anything I should know to help with my decision or be aware of? I am also considering a few other options but so far I believe this is at the top of my list. What real world mileage do people see?

Thanks in advance!
I currently drive an ‘11 advance w/ent. Navi is garbage even on my wife’s ‘18 TLX advance. Only nice thing about getting the Navi is car play. I’m really digging the Hyundai Palisade. Lots of better tech for a lot less.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The only complaint I have for the 3rd row is too low, it's like sitting on the floor, but I can always add a cushion to make it more comfortable. For our Chinese traditional culture, we always bring a whole roasted pig when we visit our ancestor in the cemetery, so last time, I was able carry 7 adults, a whole roasted pig and all other stuff, plenty leg room for the third row while only scarified a little on the second row.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I currently drive an ‘11 advance w/ent. Navi is garbage even on my wife’s ‘18 TLX advance. Only nice thing about getting the Navi is car play. I’m really digging the Hyundai Palisade. Lots of better tech for a lot less.
I am looking at the Telluride, but the news just reported that Hyundai and kia settled a claim for the engine that might caught in fire which makes me worry about the quality.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am looking at the Telluride, but the news just reported that Hyundai and kia settled a claim for the engine that might caught in fire which makes me worry about the quality.
Hyundai/Kia has the 10yr/100k mile warranty thing from factory, so go for the Telluride or Hyundai version of the Telluride. Both of them have weird looks to them, but at least they stand out from the overcrowded boring styles of the 3row Crossover relm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The guy was just stating his opinion. You don’t have to tear him down.
I wasn't tearing him down, I was just stating my opinion, so quit tearing me down for it. ;)

I just stated that I don't think there's anything 'prestigious' about any vehicle - they're all just vehicles that different people have different views of. The word prestigious implies some sort of escalation in status due to owning the vehicle, and no doubt some people view vehicles from this perspective, but I don't because the cost of a vehicle a person drives states little about that person's station in life. There are many people driving cars they can't reasonably afford and many people driving vehicles that cost well below what they can afford.

As to the Lincoln itself, it'll appeal to some people, which is fine. I'm not knocking the poster from having had one - there's a reason there are hundreds of models of vehicles made and sold - because they each appeal to some segment of the market.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Funny how Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac and others are really trying to jump onboard the overpriced suv craze. A fully loaded Aviator pushes $80k (more expensive then Audi Q7), about the same as a fully loaded Cadillac XT6. A fully loaded Explorer as was mentioned is close to $65k. What's also funny is reading online some people who shelled out $80k for an Aviator said they did so because they wanted an "American" luxury vehicle. The MDX (and most Acura's for that matter) are actually MORE American then most "American" brands that use foreign parts and have them built in foreign factories. Acura uses largely US sourced parts and assembles their vehicles right here in the US.

Meanwhile, I purchased my fully loaded 19 MDX (AWD Advance with Entertainment) last year for "only" $57k. Although I suspect the next gen MDX (2021) will likely see a bump in price (question is how much). That was the reason I really liked the Acura, it's a great overall value for the money.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Funny how Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac and others are really trying to jump onboard the overpriced suv craze. A fully loaded Aviator pushes $80k (more expensive then Audi Q7), about the same as a fully loaded Cadillac XT6. A fully loaded Explorer as was mentioned is close to $65k. What's also funny is reading online some people who shelled out $80k for an Aviator said they did so because they wanted an "American" luxury vehicle. The MDX (and most Acura's for that matter) are actually MORE American then most "American" brands that use foreign parts and have them built in foreign factories. Acura uses largely US sourced parts and assembles their vehicles right here in the US.

Meanwhile, I purchased my fully loaded 19 MDX (AWD Advance with Entertainment) last year for "only" $57k. Although I suspect the next gen MDX (2021) will likely see a bump in price (question is how much). That was the reason I really liked the Acura, it's a great overall value for the money.
Amen

·
Registered
349 Posts

Totally agreed, Cadillac is just a BS, only the price increased, reliability remains the same.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Totally agreed, Cadillac is just a BS, only the price increased, reliability remains the same.
Ford and Lincoln are doing mass recalls on the new Explorer and the new Aviator is a hot mess, which isn't surprising considering it's completely new with a lot of new fancy unproven tech, That in addition to Ford/Lincoln's questionable history with reliability.

Even though Acura isn't perfect from reliability (Especially the brand new RDX which has it's host of problems, which is why anyone would be wise to hold off and not purchase the 4th gen MDX for a year or 2 first), the 3rd gen MDX right now (2019, 2020) is actually pretty good from a reliability perspective as after 6-7 years they've worked out most of the kinks.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Tell that to a person driving a Rolls or a Bentley.
The fact that someone's driving one of those doesn't mean a thing to me although some of those owners may buy them in an attempt to impress others. I could readily buy those myself but simply don't because I don't think they're worth the money, regardless of how much money I might have and aren't the type of vehicle I'd buy anyway. If someone wants to drive a Rolls I don't really care one way or the other but it certainly doesn't impress me nor do I consider it 'prestigious'.

The impression the MDX (or any vehicle) might make on 'someone other than me' isn't a variable in my decision as to whether to buy a vehicle.

I've purchased American brand vehicles in the past and may do so again in the future - I don't have anything against American brands. I do like the idea that the vehicle I purchased was assembled/made in the USA and that was a variable in my selection of the MDX but mostly I selected the MDX because of how all its attributes fit what I was looking for. If I needed to haul 8 people, wanted a convertible, wanted higher gas mileage, etc. I'd have selected something else.

It really is surprising though how expensive some of the 'average vehicles' like an Exploder (sic - I had one once - wasn't a good experience) can get when loaded up with the leather and doo-dads and extensive profit markup.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts