Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently looking into an 07+ MDX. We originally were looking at the 09+ Pilot but the VCM and oil consumption issues scared us away.

Started looking at MDX's and I really like them. I'll be selling my 08 WRX after we purchase a new vehicle (WRX is not car seat friendly).

Looking at the MDX as the SH-AWD appeals to the driver in me. The roominess and comfort appeal to the wife.

Going to look at an 09 MDX tomorrow. Base model I believe - no Navi or backup camera.

It's an original owner vehicle with 85k miles. All service records from new. Made it 70k on stock brakes if that's a good indication.

Talking with them the only thing out of the normal was an ecm flash done at the dealer to prevent transmission issues. Did some reading and it seems the torque converters on these vehicles can cause grief for some. Anything to look for while test driving?

What should I specifically look out for before forking over the cash?

Timing belt will need done soon I presume. I have a friend who works on imports who has done them on my other vehicles for fairly cheap.

I appreciate any info.

Cheers,
Logan

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Torque converter issue is easy to spot.. Drive in the hwy at the top gear (5th) and set cruise control +50mph, look for RPM fluctuation at a constant speed it should look like a little +-200RPM flutter.. This will tell you there is an issue with the TC.

Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
lj,

other potential problems are: the Bluetooth module failure, it drains the battery dead in a no driving weekend; the A/C compressor clutch relay contacts get welded because are not the right rating, this problem also drains the battery because the A/C clutch remains engaged. The A/C relay problem might also get freon to be drained by the high pressure protection valve at the compressor.

In both cases, the Bluetooth module needs to be replaced with new part number and A/C compressor clutch relay needs to be replaced with new part number, new relay has proper rating contacts.

I have an 08 and I am very happy with the car. I am not aware of other potential problems. Timing belt replacement is around 100K miles.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thabk you very much for the replies. THe relay and Bluetooth modules are easy fixes, however the bluetooth module is a bit pricy but not too bad. If these are the only real issues to worry about it sure beats the Pilot's issue where it can burn up to 1qt of oil every 1000miles and be considered "normal" by Honda.

I do my own oil changes, brakes, cv axle, and suspension work myself generally. HOw hard is this vehicle to wrench on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Easy vehicle to wrench on. I do all my maintenance myself, except for timing belt and valve ajustement ( every 110 000kms )

Beware of the famous vibration issue when crusing at 110-120kms/h. lots of people have this issue and acura never admited the issue. Some MDX owners claimed that the issue was present on brand new mdx.

I have a canadian 2009 Elite model. For me is not the weels, because i just swapped my 18' sport model weels for 18' steel weels with winter nokian tires and the vibration is still there. My drive shaft have been re-balanced, swaped both rear cv boot drive shaft, issue still present. I know for a fact that my rear alignment is not on par presently, because we cant adjust the camber angle with the stock camber kit. I will buy an adjustable rear camber kit and do a alignment. I will report then.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I also do my own maintenance and last year I replaced the timing belt myself. For me, it was a six hour job done with care and love. At the same time, I replaced spark plugs, serpentine belt, timing belt and serpentine tensioners, and water pump. Used two gallons of Honda coolant. Engine bay has good space to work on.

Another possible issue is lots of carbon built-up in exhaust system that might prevent EGR valve to properly close. This happened to me and the engine was handling very poorly until I removed and cleaned the EGR. After that, engine operated again as brand new.

I have not had any mechanical or electronic issues with transmission, suspension, or steering.

By the way, there is a Honda recall on the steering pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all, thanks for the info all...

It was an extremely clean vehicle. I couldn't find a fluid leak on the vehicle if I tried.

Test drive went well, very tight car overall and drove beautifully. Quicker than I thought, too.

Climbed all over/under it, drove the heck out of it. Everything works, nothing broken.

They were asking 16K and it has 80k miles.

Shot low at 14.5k, settled on 15k and a handshake.

Pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Congrats. You will def like the wide interior for the car seats. We have had 3 seats back there and still drive around friends in the 3rd row if we need to.

One time I bought a adult bicycle from a store. Managed to fold one side of the third row seat. Had 2 kids in 2nd row and 1 kid in 3rd and the bike somewhere in between. Lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
My MDX is also a 2009 at 90k. I just have my Timing Belt, Water Pump (whatever belts and stuff that usually done together), tune up and all fluids changed in a local store. Costed me $1400 that I asked them to use all OEM parts. The service manual said it should be done every 105k mile or 7 year. That's why it was due even there are still some miles to it.

My 09 got similar problems as people mentioned already.

1. The battery drain problem: The Hand Free Link (Bluetooth) problem that costed me around $200 to have the dealer to have it unplugged after it has drained my battery for a few times in 2015 March. I guess it would be free if I saw the video on youtube earlier. The battery was died last winter, and I hope I would not need a new battery this winter.

2. The "Gas Cap" light came up from time to time. There was once it turned to a Emission Warning. I went to autozone to read the code, they told me it is Gas Cap again. The code went away by itself later. Well... This problem caused me to have 3 gas caps on my MDX... But I found someone mentioned resolving the problem by a bottle of STP gas treatment. I also put in a bottle of STP thing, it seems it really help that I don't need to my 4th gas cap anymore.

3. The TPMS error came up about 2 weeks ago. It was quite scarely that a big error message pop-up all the sudden in the middle of driving. Then, I recognize it was the stupid Tire Pressure Monitor.... so, I just ignore it. The TPMS error went away after a few hours, and it came up again next day.... Then, it is gone again. My tire threads of the car are almost GONE (to the thread wearing mark), so I plan to have them changed... including the tires, it would be around 1000-1100 bucks again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Shot low at 14.5k, settled on 15k and a handshake.
Pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday.
These cars do have their problems, start by disconnecting the bluetooth module, I made a video about it here:

Other than that common bug these are pretty awesome cars, in terms of reliably at high mileage. I'm at 170K now on my 2007, very little has gone wrong. Just remember to replace that timing belt in the next few years and make sure the trans fluid/diff fluid/transfer case fluid has been replaced recently, otherwise swap it out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
you wont find a better reliable solid vehicle like the Acura MDX..

Infinity makes strong reliable vehicles too, i think the infinity suvs are cheaper too used- but i like the interior design / feel of the honda products more i think... im not a fan of the nissan genes of the infinity cars..

·
Registered
656 Posts
If I remember well, when the BlueTooth module is disconnected we loose the voice commands for radio, A/C, etc.

What I did to keep the module connected, use voice commands, and avoid the battery drain, I installed a micro-relay that disconnects the power from the module when the car is OFF. The relay is powered by the AUX power and the Normally Open (NO) contact interrupts the permanent power wire. I used this wiring for several years without any problems. Even after I replaced the BT module years later, I still have this wiring configuration in place. If the new module goes bad ever, I will not have a battery drain.

The factory wiring keeps the BT module powered 24x7, that is part of the problem in the electronics failing. This relay wiring switches the module ON only when the car is used, therefore it should extend its life.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi All,

Planning to do the tranny fluid in the next couple of weeks myself.

I did read up on the HFL BT unit as well as the AC Relay Issue. I'll replace the relay as a preventative measure if it isn't the higher rated one already.

No sport suspension here, I did some reading about how expensive it was to replace - no thanks.

I'll do the timing belt soon, I doubt it'll break after 7 years with 20K less miles than it should have on it.

So far loving the MDX

·
Registered
656 Posts
The new part number I got for the AC relay is Honda #39794-SDA-A05. I bought it from Amazon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.