Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2012 MDX advance with 22,000 miles and reading a lot about the 3.7 engine oil consumption. Is it a given that at some point most or all of these will have this issue or is there a fair chance that it may not. Is there a better oil to use to avoid it. Was almost set on buying it because of the deal it appears to be but this seems like it could be an expensive issue with no sure solution. Would love to hear a bunch of stories about high mileage ones without the issue!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
At 22K I would not worry... Seems that the oil consumption issues stick its nose at a higher mileage (60-80K?).
Oil brands or quality does not have an effect on this issue. You can also give Honda/Acura a call for news on the Extended Warranty for this issue.

And in any case its not applicable for warranty you can theoretically just add oil for as long as you keep the car.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My 2011 with 115k or so miles uses ZERO oil.....it's at the shop now for service, was down to 10% oil life, and no oil usage during that time.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I've had my used 11 MDX since Jan/14 with 30,000 miles on the odo and I just turned over 100,000 miles last month (Sept/17). I've always used between 1/2 to 2/3 quart of oil between my 7500-8500 miles oil change intervals. It hasn't changed the entire time I've had the MDX. I've always purchased my oil from Walmart (Mobil 1 5w-20). I don't know how Mobil 1 compares to other brands syn, blends, or Acura/Honda version of 5w-20?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Burning oil at this speed is not a big deal. In fact, I think burning oil is better than leaking oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.