Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a guy who had one avc-rgb1 left. I made the modifications right away and it works great. Before I finish up the install, I wanted to wire it up for a backup camera. Firstly, I haven't tested the wire yet, but I assume that the backup wire going to the nav unit that is for backup light is +12VDC. (I can check that out. I want to hook this up so that that backup camera will come up automatically. In order to do that I will need a relay to control the switching of the composite video going into the avc-rgb1 between entertainment and camera. I could wire this relay up so that it is activated by the backup light signal. But in order for this to work the relay for switching between nav and avc-rgb1 must also be switched so that the avc-rgb1 is active. right now I have the avc-rgb1 relay hooked up to a switch. I think that I could have the backup light signal energize both of the relays, but I am not sure if this is safe since I would still need my switch connected to switch between navi and avc-rgb1. Has anyone else hooked this up. Can you give me some hints. I think that I could add a third relay that controls the ground connection and put my mind at ease, but I have to have more relays that needed. Please take a look at the attached diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your wiring looks good and will work just fine for backup camera switching. It's safe and as recommended with most relays place a 1N4001 diode across the relay coil (one for each relay). The silver band side of the diode to + side of the coil. This prevents reverse current. I also take it that your AVC-RGB1 is turned ON all the time. If not you might it might take a second to turn on after the relay is switched.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this setup doesn't see to work right. If I hook up either the switch or the backup signal by themselves, the relay works as expected. However, if I hook both the backup signal and the switch together the relay wont engage.:confused: To be clear, I hook up one side of the relay's coil to ground and the other to both the +12vdc from the switch and the +12vdc from the backup signal. The relay doesn't engage in either switch position. (I don't think I tried puting it in reverse, though) Does anyone know why this might be?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recheck your connections. First remove the +12vdc connection to the backup camera relay and test your video/navigation relay as that was probably working before with the switch. After that test the backup relay stand alone by applying +12vdc. Now connect both the + leads of the relays together.

A problem with this design will be that when turning on your video navigation relay you will also turn on your reverse lights. You can probably elminate this by placing a 1N4001 diode (sold at Radio Shack) between the two + side of the relay coil. I'd put the silver band end of the diode on the backup relay. It's also a good idea to 1N4001 diodes between GND and + lead of each relay too. Silver band side of the diode to +12vdc side of relay and other side to relay GND. This prevents reverse current draw. So that is a total of 3 diodes in your project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts