Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm about to embark on the trans fluid change via the 3x3 method of drain and refill.

i think i've read every post about this, but that created a confusion as i read more and more.

i've seen the TRANSFER CASE mentioned - is this the name for the place where i am draining the old transmission fluid in the 3x3 fill and flush manner?

here is a quote from an older post that got me confused:

• Last monday i just did all of those oil change on my 07 that has about 60 000 miles, all of these at the same time:

[*]Tranny new oil ATF-Z1
    [*]Transfer case new oil 80W90 gear oil

here is 2nd quote that made me equally confused too:

• Well i finally looked underthe car and yes there is no pan, i drained the fluid fron the tranny drain bolt and then from the output hose going to radiator. i got 7 quarts of dirty tranny fluid and i also drained the transfer case fluid which is called gear oil 85-90, it uses less than a quart.

i am confused because there are two different types of oil mentioned.

i thought i am pouring in the same stuff up top as i am draining out the bottom (if the bottom is the transfer case?)

ultimately, i think my problem is that i don't know where the transfer case is/where the transfer case drain bolt is or the fill location? can't seem to find pics on the transfer case or diy on the transfer case drain and fill.

i have a 2011 X.

i have changed the oil many times, but never embarked on this DIY.

hopefully my question is clear. thank you for the help

·
Registered
401 Posts
Reactions: Michele222

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transfer case is in the rear.

Transmission fluid is changed in the front.

Both require different fluids.
thanks for that. keeping it simple. i like that.

now i am off to find the transfer case....

thank you again princelybug.

i just wish i could find a diy for trans case. searched youtube and mdxers but no pics or vids found.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Transfer case is in the rear.

Transmission fluid is changed in the front.

Both require different fluids.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007-2013-acura-mdx/39327-front-atf-transfer-case-fluid-change.html
Sorry, that is incorrect. The transfer case is located next to the transmission and uses hypoid gear oil. The differential is located in the rear.
Using c3uo picture from his previous thread, i circled the transfer case fluid fill plug yellow, transmission fluid drain plug red. Please note, this angle shot is from underneath the front of the vehicle looking towards the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, that is incorrect. The transfer case is located next to the transmission and uses hypoid gear oil. The differential is located in the rear.
Using c3uo picture from his previous thread, i circled the transfer case fluid drain plug yellow, transmission fluid drain plug red. Please note, this angle shot is from underneath the front of the vehicle looking towards the rear.
forgive me if i am wrong, but isn't the transfer case fill plug circled in yellow?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Using c3uo picture from his previous thread, i circled the transfer case fluid fill plug yellow, transmission fluid drain plug red. Please note, this angle shot is from underneath the front of the vehicle looking towards the rear.
My mistake, I mistook the transfer case for the rear differential.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My mistake, I mistook the transfer case for the rear differential.
I always thought when people referred to the transfer case they were referring to the rear differential. It wasn't untill I looked at the manual that I found the tansfer case was something completely different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
glad this is cleared up for all of us now.

my last wish is to find the transmission fluid line that i would unhook to do a flush via the running car method/poolpartysrule youtube method

anybody got a pic with a red or yellow circle on that fluid line?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one last question...i hope...

if i do the 3x3 drain and fill atf method, is there any benefit to having the car raised up on one side or the other? front or back elevated?

i believe i have seen a video with the drivers side, front tire elevated for this method.

any advice is much appreciated

thanks again for all the help today

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did both ATF and Transfer assembly fluid replacements last month. I followed the instructions directly from the Acura service manual pages 14-266 through 14-268. Definitely did not do whats on the video. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
212 Posts
glad this is cleared up for all of us now.

my last wish is to find the transmission fluid line that i would unhook to do a flush via the running car method/poolpartysrule youtube method 2008 Acura MDX Transmission Fluid Change 1080P - YouTube

anybody got a pic with a red or yellow circle on that fluid line?
That would be one of the transmission cooler lines. They should be running out of probably the left front of the transmission and into a small radiator tube mounted in front of the main radiator /AC condenser.

To figure out which one is the supply and which is the return line, with everything still connected, run the engine and crawl under the car (taking safety precautions of course). The supply line will be hotter than the return line.

But anyway, disconnect whichever one would be easier to stick in a bucket and there you go.

Doing a flush and fill is not an absolute requirement but is recommended if the fluid is especially dirty or you don't know the fluid history. You can also just drain and fill three times, but draining and filling results in more clean fluid mixing with dirty fluid, so it is not quite as efficient. With the flush and fill method, fluid leaving the transmission has to circulate through the various parts of the transmission.

Otherwise, if you change the fluid regularly as you should be, it's sufficient to just do a single drain and fill. The transmission holds around 12 quarts in total, so you would be essentially replacing all of the fluid every 3-4 changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did both ATF and Transfer assembly fluid replacements last month. I followed the instructions directly from the Acura service manual pages 14-266 through 14-268. Definitely did not do whats on the video. Am I missing something?
from what i've read, you are not missing something. you did the more traditional way, and probably easier in some respects.

did you jack up one side of the car for better drainage?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.