Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between D4 and D5? What should I be driving in to get the best gas mileage? What are you guys driving in?

·
Registered
617 Posts
july31990 said:
What is the difference between D4 and D5? What should I be driving in to get the best gas mileage? What are you guys driving in?
If you are doing all in town driving your best bet is D4. If you do a combination of city/highway or all highway driving stay with D5.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The only diffs between D4 and D5 is that when in D4 the transmission stops up-shift at 4th gear and 5th in D5. The best advice is that if you are in Big City USA with stop-n-go traffic, D4 is the way to go; doin some highway cruisin' or in a city that is spread out like the one I'm in, then pick o' D5.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Please splain your advice to stay in 4 in the city?

When would you not want equivalent of overdrive when trying to maximize mileage in any situation? You can talk about stoplight to stoplight driving or needing to punch through an intersection but that is what a kickdown is for and then again, you are not trying to save gas which was the question. I have only ran into one situation for keeping it in 4 and it was related to towing and using compression braking.

cd

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
The MDX has an automatic transmission. In the case of automobiles "automatic transmission" means that it has a transmission that automatically selects the correct time to shift up or down to the next gear and automatically accomplished this task.

This transmission is sufficiently "smart" to work by itself except in limited situations such as the towing mentioned above.

Leave your transmissionis D5 and it will happily work as designed.

G

·
Registered
163 Posts
Am I the only one who think that Honda should have designed a detent between D4 and D5? My shifter always goes from park to D4 when I am in a hurry and then have to bring it back to D5. Very anoying! especially when you forget about it and you wonder why your hwy mileage sucks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: Re: confused about the gears

Echo2625 said:

If you are doing all in town driving your best bet is D4. If you do a combination of city/highway or all highway driving stay with D5.
why/how would it help to drive in D4 in town ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Re: Re: Re: confused about the gears

mdxforever said:

why/how would it help to drive in D4 in town ?
I use D4 in town to keep the tranny from "hunting" for 5th gear. 5th gear is a highway cruising gear and I don't do much "cruising" in the city.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used D4 after over one year of using my X. It is apparent that the acceleration from a dead stop is better than if the gear is on D5. My only concern is I don't know the maximum speed I can drive at D4. Is it solely based on feel or does Acura set some limit?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've left it in D4 before. No too big a deal, but it seems silly. I doubt you'd find redline at any reasonable highway speed in D4, but why waste the gas? The only time I use the gear setting other than D5 is in slippery conditions where I want the engine to slow the car rather than the brakes. And then I'm down in 2 or 1. I do that a lot going downhill in the snow. Last winter I managed to put the X into a skid by shifting from 2 to 1 before I'd mounted my snow tires. I put the snows on a few days later.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
D4 is simply to prevent the transmission from "hunting" when you're going along a road at 50 with some rolling hills for instance. There is no reason to select in city traffic, in fact there's probably a small disadvantage in that scenario.

·
Registered
36 Posts
RSM said:
It is apparent that the acceleration from a dead stop is better than if the gear is on D5.
I think that apparent better acceleration in D4 is in your head. From a dead stop the X starts in first gear, regardless of what position the indiactor is in.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can we change gears from D4 to D5 and back when the car is in motion. Will it affect the transamission in the long run. I like to use D4 when there is bumber to bumber traffic and then shift to D5 when the road clears up. Iam thinking this should be okay . Right ?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
kunB said:
Can we change gears from D4 to D5 and back when the car is in motion. Will it affect the transamission in the long run. I like to use D4 when there is bumber to bumber traffic and then shift to D5 when the road clears up. Iam thinking this should be okay . Right ?
Yeah but why waste the arm motion ? If you're in bumper to bumper traffic, you're not going to be in 5th gear anyway.

By shifting, the range of gears used by the tranny changes...that's it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts