Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone did not think this through when then designed the "Maintenance Journal" that comes in the package of owner booklets for the glove compartment. Page 1, which is the "Quality Inspection" (PDI) checklist has both the radio code and key code for the car entered on it!!

Anyone (such as a valet, car wash person, etc--or a radio thief) who knows this can just write down the number. That would mean a stolen radio could be used. I would hope that Acura would ask for personal ID when selling a key even if someone has the code. I have deleted that info from my booklet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
BMWs had a similar problem. A lot of BMW were being sold with the valet key stil attached inside the owner manual/binder. As many owner do not read the manual the key is never removed. That will really help the thief, literally leave the key in the car for the thief. The sad thing was a newpaper wrote about this so all the thief out there will most likely be flipping through owners manuals for the key.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
norcalchuck said:
Someone did not think this through when then designed the "Maintenance Journal" that comes in the package of owner booklets for the glove compartment. Page 1, which is the "Quality Inspection" (PDI) checklist has both the radio code and key code for the car entered on it!!

Anyone (such as a valet, car wash person, etc--or a radio thief) who knows this can just write down the number. That would mean a stolen radio could be used. I would hope that Acura would ask for personal ID when selling a key even if someone has the code. I have deleted that info from my booklet.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts