Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having trouble with condensation on inside windows in cold weather (anything below about -5 celsius)?

Honestly, this is currently about my only significant complaint with my MDX. No matter what I do, settings or wiping off condensation, the MDX just seems terrible with this. If really cold, the front windshield can get condensation / fogging that is just on the limits of acceptable, and that's with the front defrost/fog on either full or at an annoyingly high level, i.e. with fog just coming low enough to make me have to slouch to see clearly. The corners to the side mirrors (same settings) are just about acceptable, but the rest of the windows fogged.

If I switch to 'auto', the windscreen will tend to fog up again. A/C on seems to do nothing of use (and not clear if it's running while on auto).

The 2nd row passenger windows are just a disaster - not just fogged but actual condensation/water appearing as dew on the windows - nothing seems to help except wiping them, and even that doesn't work for any length of time. Even the back window is a little annoying, as the setting to defrost the rear window works well - mostly - but then turns off automatically and the rear window fogs up again. The moonroof is always fogged or with visible condensation when cold.

This is close to the worst car I have owned for this particular issue. My 1992 saab 9000 was the best (2nd row passenger windows had air outlets in doors that got the door windows clear of fog quickly and kept them there).

And yes, I've driven lots of other cars in cold climates, and this is the biggest challenge, but the MDX is worse (and totally unacceptable for a car of its level). I drive the car enough - including frequent hour-long drives - that should be enough to warm the car up and allow it to remove internal moisture. Difference between parking the car in a heated garage vs outside is relatively minor (surprisingly), when warm and driven into cold the windscreen fogs up quickly (as opposed to starting fogged and beating it back, barely).

Is this the experience of others? Something I should ask the dealer about? Honestly I'm surprised I haven't read of others complaining about this (but I do live in a cold and damp climate).

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I don´t live in a Freezing state but have you tried one of those products to fight Condensation? I believe Rain X had something of the sorts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like a something is wrong. You shouldn't have that much moisture building up in the car. Check and make sure the carpet is dry in all the foot wells. I'd look under the rear cargo bin liner too. If everything is dry then maybe your HVAC is malfunctioning and has the AC stuck off or is stuck on recirculate. I would expect the front defrost button to automatically set those appropriately though... I'd take it to the dealer if you can't figure it out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is anyone else having trouble with condensation on inside windows in cold weather (anything below about -5 celsius)?

Honestly, this is currently about my only significant complaint with my MDX. No matter what I do, settings or wiping off condensation, the MDX just seems terrible with this. If really cold, the front windshield can get condensation / fogging that is just on the limits of acceptable, and that's with the front defrost/fog on either full or at an annoyingly high level, i.e. with fog just coming low enough to make me have to slouch to see clearly. The corners to the side mirrors (same settings) are just about acceptable, but the rest of the windows fogged.

If I switch to 'auto', the windscreen will tend to fog up again. A/C on seems to do nothing of use (and not clear if it's running while on auto).

The 2nd row passenger windows are just a disaster - not just fogged but actual condensation/water appearing as dew on the windows - nothing seems to help except wiping them, and even that doesn't work for any length of time. Even the back window is a little annoying, as the setting to defrost the rear window works well - mostly - but then turns off automatically and the rear window fogs up again. The moonroof is always fogged or with visible condensation when cold.

This is close to the worst car I have owned for this particular issue. My 1992 saab 9000 was the best (2nd row passenger windows had air outlets in doors that got the door windows clear of fog quickly and kept them there).

And yes, I've driven lots of other cars in cold climates, and this is the biggest challenge, but the MDX is worse (and totally unacceptable for a car of its level). I drive the car enough - including frequent hour-long drives - that should be enough to warm the car up and allow it to remove internal moisture. Difference between parking the car in a heated garage vs outside is relatively minor (surprisingly), when warm and driven into cold the windscreen fogs up quickly (as opposed to starting fogged and beating it back, barely).

Is this the experience of others? Something I should ask the dealer about? Honestly I'm surprised I haven't read of others complaining about this (but I do live in a cold and damp climate).

been mentioned here before:

[URL="http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/120689-condensation-inside-winshield.html?highlight=condensation"]http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/120689-condensation-inside-winshield.html
[/URL]

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/58946-water-leaking-driver-side-rear-door.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/71257-condensation-inside-front-windshield.html

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a something is wrong. You shouldn't have that much moisture building up in the car. Check and make sure the carpet is dry in all the foot wells. I'd look under the rear cargo bin liner too. If everything is dry then maybe your HVAC is malfunctioning and has the AC stuck off or is stuck on recirculate. I would expect the front defrost button to automatically set those appropriately though... I'd take it to the dealer if you can't figure it out.
There doesn't seem to be any moisture of significance, although there's always a bit on the rubber footliners from snow, and of course 3-4 people give off a fair bit just from breathing.

try bring in fresh air and turn up the air volume. does the condensation go away if you open the window?
Yesterday was minus 25-30 celsius and it was handling it fine on front windscreen and front side windows with fresh air being brought in, although rear windows and moon roof have condensation which will freeze inside at that temperature, but modest. I'll see how it handles when things warm up in a few days. Of course the air is drier at this temperature too. When recirc air was put on, it would start to fog a bit fairly quickly.

In most other cars I've had, it's been more than manageable with recirc on. I prefer recirc especially because the smell of windscreen fluid floods the car - but fortunately yesterday for 4 hours in car there was little need as things are dry at really cold temperatures.

Have to say, otherwise was comfortable (of course needed a bit of time to get to warmed up inside) and I'm loving the heated steering wheel.

Handles well in snow and ice. Minus 25 is a test for a lot of things - electric gate motor into yard is frozen too but now I know how to open manually,

·
Registered
186 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any moisture of significance, although there's always a bit on the rubber footliners from snow, and of course 3-4 people give off a fair bit just from breathing.

Yesterday was minus 25-30 celsius and it was handling it fine on front windscreen and front side windows with fresh air being brought in, although rear windows and moon roof have condensation which will freeze inside at that temperature, but modest. I'll see how it handles when things warm up in a few days. Of course the air is drier at this temperature too. When recirc air was put on, it would start to fog a bit fairly quickly.

In most other cars I've had, it's been more than manageable with recirc on. I prefer recirc especially because the smell of windscreen fluid floods the car - but fortunately yesterday for 4 hours in car there was little need as things are dry at really cold temperatures.

Have to say, otherwise was comfortable (of course needed a bit of time to get to warmed up inside) and I'm loving the heated steering wheel.

Handles well in snow and ice. Minus 25 is a test for a lot of things - electric gate motor into yard is frozen too but now I know how to open manually,
I know recirc would always fog the windows. If you don't want it then you have to use one of those glass cleaner to wipe them and they may help. Otherwise, there's just too much moisture inside with recirc air, even more with more passengers. I have always pulled air from outside and it never really is a problem. Only with more passengers, I need to turn up the fan so there's enough fresh air in the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know recirc would always fog the windows. If you don't want it then you have to use one of those glass cleaner to wipe them and they may help. Otherwise, there's just too much moisture inside with recirc air, even more with more passengers. I have always pulled air from outside and it never really is a problem. Only with more passengers, I need to turn up the fan so there's enough fresh air in the car.
Thanks - weather has changed so it's perhaps early to declare victory but much better. For the most part, I guess in fact it is the recirc/fresh air thing. I'm sure I had tried the recirc/fresh air switch with little luck before, but at any rate, fewer problems now.

To me it's strange - most cars I've had before worked quite well on recirc mode. With one condition: that a/c was not turned off, even in winter.

Thanks for input. It was quite challenging conditions here for a bit, and my first full winter with the car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks - weather has changed so it's perhaps early to declare victory but much better. For the most part, I guess in fact it is the recirc/fresh air thing. I'm sure I had tried the recirc/fresh air switch with little luck before, but at any rate, fewer problems now.

To me it's strange - most cars I've had before worked quite well on recirc mode. With one condition: that a/c was not turned off, even in winter.

Thanks for input. It was quite challenging conditions here for a bit, and my first full winter with the car.
If A/C is on it does help to keep the fog away. It's one of the quickest ways to defog your windows.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My 17 is doing it also. I just mentioned it today to the dealer. Mine happens AFTER I park the car and return to it more than half hour later, and I see it has formed on all windows on the inside. I have seen it happen at temperatures of 30 degrees F to low 40's. It can happen if it's raining, or if there's a drizzle, and outside humidity is higher than "normal". I turn on the car and also press the rear defog button, but the fogging is severe enough that I have to wait until it clears a bit before heading out. My climate setting is on "Auto", and I'm on outside air mode. I checked the recirc/outside button today to see if I could determine if flapper door was working and it is, as I saw an increase in fan noise when I put it on recirc. I've never had a car act like this before, unless there was a windshield or heater core leak. It ain't heater core as I cannot smell anti-freeze...and I have a real good nose. Please note that it does not happen while I'm driving, only after returning to car after it's been parked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 Acura MDX Condensation

We have the same issue with our 2019 Acura MDX. The condensation on the interior windows is terrible. In addition, on cold mornings, the condensation freezes and you literally have to scrape the inside windows. We purchased our 2019 in December 2018 so we have only had it during the winter. It started immediately after purchasing and we currently have 2,500 miles on the vehicle.

Probably some sort of design flaw. We are hoping that it doesn't occur during the the spring and summer. Ideally it should be fixed by Acura

·
Registered
3 Posts
We figured out the issue and I feel that many other Acura vehicles are experiencing the same issue. It seems that the sunroofs collect water and there are drain tubes that take the water and disperse it out of the vehicle. However; this weekend we had an all day rain and when we got into the vehicle the floors were totally soaked. It turns out that one of the sunroof drain tubes (right side) was never connected properly when the car was built. The water would drain right into the car. We reported the condensation issue to the dealer immediately however; there was no real follow-through. This past winter, it would get so condensated inside that you had to use an ice scraper on the inside.

Now we have a huge amount of water and they are going to strip the interior to let it dry out. Not sure I want this vehicle back.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Now we have a huge amount of water and they are going to strip the interior to let it dry out. Not sure I want this vehicle back.
I assume that really means just removing the seats and carpet. Did you check with them on that point? If so I wouldn't be that concerned about it and it shouldn't be that hard for them to put it back together correctly. I've removed/installed seats and carpet in cars multiple times and there's not all that much to it.

What about the drain tubes though? Do you know what they needed to do to determine it wasn't installed correctly and fix it - i.e. what needed to be taken apart to determine this - ex: maybe the headliner?

·
Registered
608 Posts
We figured out the issue and I feel that many other Acura vehicles are experiencing the same issue. It seems that the sunroofs collect water and there are drain tubes that take the water and disperse it out of the vehicle. However; this weekend we had an all day rain and when we got into the vehicle the floors were totally soaked. It turns out that one of the sunroof drain tubes (right side) was never connected properly when the car was built. The water would drain right into the car. We reported the condensation issue to the dealer immediately however; there was no real follow-through. This past winter, it would get so condensated inside that you had to use an ice scraper on the inside.

This makes sense as to the cause of the condensation. My 2019 has never had condensation problem, only mild "fogging" of windows and only then when I have 3+ people (including one person who is rather large and gives off a lot of heat). When it's just me and my wife or me alone I never have the windows fog up. This is in MN (which this past winter we had several -30F days). I have my climate control always set to "Auto" and typically just adjust the temp and/or turn on the defrost.

Wasn't there something about the sunroof drains not working properly previously on the MDX? It sounds familiar

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi. Yes the same thing happens with my 2018 Acura TLX. Sometimes there is so much condensation on my inside windshield that I need to scrap it off and than it looks like it snowed on my dashboard.

Very annoying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts