Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed some condensation in one of my headlight units. Approx 500 miles on 'X. The weather was hot and slightly humid. Some light rain.

Any others experienced this problem? I will have dealer check it out during first oil change.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ive noticed it too after I wash the 'X lately. Passenger side only. Will talk to the dealer too.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Ms. Mdx said:
Noticed some condensation in one of my headlight units. Approx 500 miles on 'X. The weather was hot and slightly humid. Some light rain.

Any others experienced this problem? I will have dealer check it out during first oil change.
Be sure the bulbs are screwed in tight. Did you replace the bulbs recently?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had this happen the 1st time we washed the car - was also passenger side. Dried out very quickly (I'm in the desert - no moisture out here lasts long!) and have had no problems with the headlight. We'll see what happens over time...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem is also the passenger side. I have not touched the headlight housing at all, so it isn't something I might have done by replacing bulbs,etc. I've only had the car for about 3 weeks.

Interesting that we all seem to have the problem on the passenger side only! Will get it checked out during next service.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got my X, but not anymore. I run my headlights always, and I feel that was a big factor in eliminating any condensation and helped to create a better seal. I've had my X for eight months now, and it has been condensation-free since my first few weeks of ownership.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That is encouraging. Hopefully, we'll have no more problems with it as well. It's going to be due for a wash in a week or so anyway. We've been trying to hold off washing it as much as possible with drought conditions here in AZ, but...

Rain is supposed to be on the way...which means more washings ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same condensation problem, I don't remember which side, could have been driver's side. Dealer replaced headlight assembly under warranty. 43,000 mi.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Same problem. 25k. Passenger side.

dealer claimed it would dry out "in a day or so"

I told him it had condensation in it for over a week. He replaced it.

No repeat, despite thorough car washings...

Ard

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
GRRR!!! This reminds me of...

...why I both want and fear new cars. The dealer ALWAYS says the stupid "they all do that" or "It'll dry out in few days" or some other thing.

FORTUNATELY they got you the new housing, did it require a "trip back"???

You were smart/lucky to get is solved, I have had a few thngs "slip through the cracks" on previous cars and then they HAUNT you until get rid of the vehicle!

ardvarkus said:
Same problem. 25k. Passenger side.

dealer claimed it would dry out "in a day or so"

I told him it had condensation in it for over a week. He replaced it.

No repeat, despite thorough car washings...

Ard

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just took my two week old X to the dealer with the same condensation problem(driver's side). Fwiw, service advisor said it's the first he's seen or heard of the problem. Under warranty, should be no problem to replace.

·
Registered
191 Posts
head lamp condensation

I noticed this problem soon after I got my X and finally called the dealer as it progressively got worse. The service manager immediately acknowledged that this was a problem, said the units are sealed and that there should not be any condensation and although I told him the problem was on the driver's side he said he would replace both head lamps as a precaution. I was called today and told the parts were in, it would take a couple of hours but they would give me a loaner while they fixed it.

2002 SS Touring w/Navi. other add ons and loving it.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
It was and still is a common problem. And yes, it always seemed to be on the passenger side. I must have replaced over a dozen. Crappy job to do since you have to take the bumper cover off to do it.

Rob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: head lamp condensation

bomo said:
I noticed this problem soon after I got my X and finally called the dealer as it progressively got worse. The service manager immediately acknowledged that this was a problem, said the units are sealed and that there should not be any condensation and although I told him the problem was on the driver's side he said he would replace both head lamps as a precaution. I was called today and told the parts were in, it would take a couple of hours but they would give me a loaner while they fixed it.

I've had the problem on the driver's side for several months. Service manager acknowledged that this was not unusual and I decided to wait until the 7500 service which was scheduled for this morning. At about 4 P.M., a service person (not the manager) calls me to tell me that they need permission from Acura to make the change because it is an expensive item. This BS, is followed by a question of whether the MDX can sleepover at the dealership while permission is obtained. (What is this all about?) I reminded the service guy that this is a common problem (thanks guys) and I went along with the game because I have a 2002 RSX loaner that I am having fun with. Love the semi-automatic sequential shifter on that thing. If they don't get permission soon, I going to return the RSX,with one of those BIG cheap noisey after-market exhaust systems.:2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Headlamp condensation

Case1906,

I was supposed to take my X in today for the headlamp replacement but was too busy and had to reschedule. The dealer told me he was out of loaners and I couldn't leave the car. They want you to leave it is because, according to the service person, they have to take the entire front bumper off. Pretty labor intensive to change a couple of headlamp unitsunits. Again. no issue on whether or not they should be changed this service guy practically insisted.

·
Registered
259 Posts
After reading this thread, looked at my passenger side housing yesterday and saw condensation. Washed the car myself on Thanksgiving, never noticed it before, but I take it to a car wash most of the time. Like Sonshine said , desert air maybe has dryed it out real quick before, that's why I didn't notice. Weather the last few days has been overcast and rain today....taking it in on Monday for dealer to check...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have to see how mine responds during the winter here in AZ as well. I haven't seen the condensation recently, but it's been awhile between washes now - we've actually had some rain!:p

·
Registered
259 Posts
Went in for my 7,500 maintenance today and luckily the dealer had the headlight unit, so it was replaced. Took about 2 hours for everything, the hours of work for the headlight unit was .7 hours, so I don't think they had to take off the bumper...

RobSJ, if you're around, do you think they took the bumper off? I had them wash the car afterwards, and did not see any water/condensation in the headlight assembly...

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
You HAVE to take the bumper cover off! There's some bolts that hold the headlight housing to the frame that you just can't get at unless you take the bumper off. You can get at the two upper bolts in the top crossbar no sweat, but if I remember right, there's three more underneath.

Rob

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks, Rob....I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but if I see condensation again, then I'll know something is fishy about the fix.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts