Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but could not find the specific procedure for performing a compression test on an 07-13 MDX. I found a few non-MDX instructions that stated to pull the ignition and fuel pump fuses, but the the starter wouldn't crank, not even when I put the ignition fuse back in, only when they were both in.

Also, is it true that holding the throttle pedal to the floor disables the injectors? If so, then I suppose I could just pull all the coil connectors and crank with the pedal floored.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a new Gen 2 owner, I'm also dissapointed at the lack of robust DIY articles available. I guess we'll have to write them ourselves. I would feel more comfortable disabling the fuel pump by removing a fuse.

I requested a compression test from an independent shop as part of a pre-purchase inspection. The mechanic looked at me like I was nuts, but I insisted. His report later was that both banks were about the same. Wha? He didn't even record the compression for each cylinder; maybe he didn't do it at all. Perhaps the average Acura owner isn't too particular about maintenance details?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just like any other compression test but unplug all 6 ignition coil connectors. You don't need to worry about the fuel pump unless you are planning on cranking it several times.

·
Registered
721 Posts
As a new Gen 2 owner, I'm also dissapointed at the lack of robust DIY articles available. I guess we'll have to write them ourselves. I would feel more comfortable disabling the fuel pump by removing a fuse.

I requested a compression test from an independent shop as part of a pre-purchase inspection. The mechanic looked at me like I was nuts, but I insisted. His report later was that both banks were about the same. Wha? He didn't even record the compression for each cylinder; maybe he didn't do it at all. Perhaps the average Acura owner isn't too particular about maintenance details?
I've figured this one out...

We older folks don't like bending over and crawling under our cars anymore.

The MDX crowd is older than my Integra group, although they are getting older too. Just look at their ITRCA annual photos.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too believe in a cylinder compression test or a cylinder leak down test!

These days they teach the new kids to do cylinder balance checks that involve just removing the coil plug wire at each cylinder one at a time and noting the parameter changes

If you have the Honda HDS/HIM or a clone you can turn off each fuel injector nozzle one at a time thus accomplishing the modern day version of a compression check.

Scannerdanner and EricTheCarGuy over at YouTube both have videos on these modern day compression checks.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts