Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the posts here at acuramdx.org for the past 3-4 months religiously waiting for my X to arrive and when the car finally came, I felt I had no need to read the owners manual!! For the past few days, I’ve been looking for flaws that have been posted on this site and I have mixed reactions towards them. Here are my thoughts so far about the 2003 Navi MDX.
Negative Feedback:
•Radio reception sucks the big one.
•Gas mileage is not as good as I thought. (Only driven 275 miles, been getting less than 16 miles per gallon)
•Wind noise a lot worse than I thought it would be. Drive past 70 mph, and the wind noise is unbearable, have to crank up the stereo to drown out the wind noise.
•Garage door opener’s reach is not as strong as other cars (bmw and lexus has a broader range from their automatic door opener)
•Don’t like the dash board. Seems way too simple for a 45k car.
•I think I was way too excited to get this car because of this website. =)

Positive Feedback:
•Love the navigation unit! I can’t imagine every buying a car without a navi unit ever again. People who have plans to buy the X, you should strongly think about getting one with the navigation unit. The voice commands have to be the best feature Acura thought of! So intuitive and easy to use!
•Stereo sounds great! Besides the radio reception being so bad, playing a CD on the Bose system sounds great! All my life, I’ve always replaced the stock stereo system with a customized system, but I feel that the Bose systems for my needs are perfect. (too old to be booming around town anymore)
•Love the extra outlet in the armrest for your cell phone and how there’s a hole for the cord to come out from the bottom to the top of the armrest.
•3rd row seating has to be the best design of all SUVs. Last week, I was strongly thinking of getting the GX470, but after seeing awkwardness’ of the 3rd seating, the X got huge extra points.
•Love the Sage Brush Pearl color with Quartz interior. The color gets better the more you look at it! (pretty sure it’s because it’s mine)
•Rear camera has to be the “show stopper” when people get in the car. Everyone who sees it can’t get enough of it.
•Haven’t heard any noise from the gas tank.
•Overall, I LOVE THIS CAR! I can’t get myself not to offer rides, make excuses to go to the store, tell my navigation unit to “go home” even though I’m like 2 miles away and waiting for my first 1000k so I can really step on the peddle!

More feedback to come….

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! We look forward to hearing more of your impressions, and don't forget to include pix!:4:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Conratulations as well on your new X. I am surprised to hear about the high wind noise in the 03. I remember a little while ago a member "bashing" the 01-02 saying wind and road noise is non existant in the 03 but "wary" loud in the 02.Hmmmmm. I guess one shoud test drive on freeway rather then the parking lot and side streets if wind noise is an issue. I find wind noise acceptable for such a high vehicle. I am surprised to hear that the turning point in your decision is the 3rd row seating. I would take the Lexus in a second if it was available and I could afford it. Do you use your 3rd row seating often? I have never lifted the seat. And I do mean never.The MDX is no slouch though. I smile every time I drive it. Of course I don't have the voice and camera but the Navigation is an option I will have in any vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Congratulations!

jkim357,

Thanks for your review. I look forward seeing your pics, and seeing you at the next Bay Area meet!:4:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Congratulations ! I am so envious right now. This forum is making it tough, as I patiently wait for my X ! :2:

2003 SS MDX

·
Registered
58 Posts
I guess I am having a hard time figuring out all this uproar about "wind noise"...I have a 2002 and don't feel that the wind noise is out of line. You have to bear in mind that this is not a vehicle with a 0.3 drag number...this is a big barn door being pushed through the air. I just got back from a 1200 mile Christmas trip and most of it at 70 to 75 on freeways. Wife and I had good conversations at all times with no need to raise our voices. Actually, if I was to complain about anything it would be the road noise on some highways but that seems to be a fact of life on most cars. I have a '99 Cad STS and that suspension and wide profile tires make as much noise as any car I have had at half the price. I agree about the Navi unit with everyone however...best $2000 I have ever spent. In the few months we have owned the MDX it has saved us numerous times from frustration. Did have some fun the other day with a pouring rainstorm. I went out on a deserted road and gave the brakes and ABS a good workout. They do work!! Even with the very wet pavement, that braking system hauled the MDX to a stop in fine style. Also tried out the 4WD system and was impressed there as well. Put the right side of the car just off the pavement onto some very gooey mud and stomped on the throttle...off we went with nary a wheel spin! Great vehicle...well worth the money and wait.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Congrats! Welcome aboard (glad to see another SBP convert :D )

Interesting comment about the garage opener - I found the opposite compared to my Explorer. I just took the Explorer out today to warm it back up (leased; goes back tomorrow, figured I should make sure it runs since I haven't touched it since I got my X), when I brought it back it would not open the door until I reached my driveway. Had gotten used to my 'X working from the beginning of the street I am on. Maybe the Ford's just that much worse than others...
:confused:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Presten,

Thanks for the comments. You sound like a very down to Earth and honest person, so given what you said, I expect GREAT things from my 03 'X when it arrives. In due time...oh in due time... ;)

People just forget sometimes how good a value it is. For the price, you are comparing it to Ford, GM, Jeep, and Nissan SUVs. MDX blows them all away, even in terms of quietness (drag coeff. by the way is .36 which is very good for SUV).

·
Registered
26 Posts
jkim357, congrats on your X. I am thoroughly enjoying mine. I've only had it for a week now and have approximately 650 miles on it!
Best buy I ever made!

hammerX, it's most definitely worth the wait. We put in our order at the end of August and took delivery 12/19/02.:4:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts