Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new 17 MDX owner. In Canada I got the Elite trim which is Adv + Ent equivalent in the US. We do not have the option of skipping entertainment at the highest trim. I wish we can do that.

Anyway, coming from the 14 RDX (Tech) is now very different. These are the reasons and pros of why I am switching:

1) Much more comfortable ride in MDX. This is #1, the RDX is rougher with more obvious body rolls. With family in the car I feel that ride comfort is high priority
2) More safety techs. After some driving I do not find the safety techs that helpful, but I guess they're there just to keep things safer.
3) More spaces. Keeping the same # of seats (that means 3rd row down), now I can move bigger objects more easily.
4) Much more comfortable seats
5) Much more quiet cabin
6) Features that exist in the MDX but not my RDX: nav traffic, folding side mirror, auto dimming side mirror, rear entertainment system (ya i know i don't really need it), SH-AWD(yes!), heated windshield, heated steering wheel, rear vent, and parking sensors

I know some of the features are now available on the newer RDX. That's very nice and RDX definitely serves my needs, if and only if it can improve on #1, #4 and $5 above.

Overall the MDX feels slower. Changing the IDS mode to Sports does help to react more like an RDX. Otherwise, the throttle is slow in normal mode.

One thing I notice also is the MDX seems to require more distance on braking, maybe because it's heavier?

Talking about the 17 MDX, i am still in discovery mode. However I like some of the gimmicks it provides. Lighting when you walk near the car, auto walk-away door lock (didn't get it to work yet), auto heated seat (!), blind spot monitoring, cross traffic monitor.. i like them all.

The RDX is a much faster car though.

Hopefully my MDX will not have many quality issues.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We have a 2015 RDX and a 2014 MDX.

The MDX can mask your actual speed due to its quieter cabin and road noise muffling. With the RDX you feel the road more and the engine noise gets through more to the cabin. Also the RDX gas and brake pedals are more sensitive to inputs. I prefer to drive the RDX around town but the MDX is my choice for roadtrips and long drives.

Unfortunately, both can transmits alot of noise when going over bumps. I think I have learned to accept that Acuras are really made that way. Stiffer suspensions than the others. Only positive is it's more stable on winding roads and turns. I wish the RDX has the IDS selection too. The steering can feel really light when you're accelerating hard and going over 75 mph.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got instant throttle response from stop to going. With the MDX, I felt like I am stepping on the void. Sports mode helps a lot though . With comfort mode, it's even worse than normal.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I got instant throttle response from stop to going. With the MDX, I felt like I am stepping on the void. Sports mode helps a lot though . With comfort mode, it's even worse than normal.
Yes, that's what IDS does in 3rd-gen MDX. "Sport mode" sharpens "drive-by-wire" throttle response and reduces ( electric ) steering assist for more of a German sports sedan feel vs plushy domestic cruiser. "Comfort mode" goes the other way. No difference in suspension unlike some 2nd-gen MDXs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase and upgrade! I'm new to the '17 MDX and agree with a lot of your observations - I too am loving the auto heated/ventilated seats!

I feel like the MDX requires more braking distance too (coming from a '14 Nissan Pathfinder which to me seems just as large of a vehicle). The acceleration in Normal is definitely something I'm still getting used to. Seems like quite a pause between the first few gears when accelerating normally. When putting my foot down though and accelerating quicker, it seems a lot smoother.

Coming from a 4x4 vehicle, I'm interested to see how the SH-AWD will handle in the snow!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that's what IDS does in 3rd-gen MDX. "Sport mode" sharpens "drive-by-wire" throttle response and reduces ( electric ) steering assist for more of a German sports sedan feel vs plushy domestic cruiser. "Comfort mode" goes the other way. No difference in suspension unlike some 2nd-gen MDXs.
I tried IDS Sports and also S mode. It doesn't feel that good though. The gears are too close that on a stop-go traffic, I can get sick of it jerking a lot.

Congratulations on the new purchase and upgrade! I'm new to the '17 MDX and agree with a lot of your observations - I too am loving the auto heated/ventilated seats!

I feel like the MDX requires more braking distance too (coming from a '14 Nissan Pathfinder which to me seems just as large of a vehicle). The acceleration in Normal is definitely something I'm still getting used to. Seems like quite a pause between the first few gears when accelerating normally. When putting my foot down though and accelerating quicker, it seems a lot smoother.

Coming from a 4x4 vehicle, I'm interested to see how the SH-AWD will handle in the snow!
Try putting IDS in Sports and see if you would agree with me that it's better. I think SH-AWD is good for active acceleration only but I am also looking forward to experience something positive in the winter too!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing, the Engine Idle feature is a mixed love-hate feature. It is good for normal city driving but it can turn off and on so often like during drive-thru. it should have some timing feature for not doing it within like 15 secs of last switch.

also the weather/noise sealing is probably much better than my previous rdx. i see frost on the windows these days while i've never seen so much before on my old cars.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I tried IDS Sports and also S mode. It doesn't feel that good though. The gears are too close that on a stop-go traffic, I can get sick of it jerking a lot.

Try putting IDS in Sports and see if you would agree with me that it's better. I think SH-AWD is good for active acceleration only but I am also looking forward to experience something positive in the winter too!
S-mode on the transmission is a completely separate issue from IDS, but I agree transmission S-mode is too aggressive for routine driving, especially with the 9-speed tranny.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am on the 2nd tank gas and this time the throttle response is better in normal IDS mode. I think this is because the dealer gave me a tank of 87. I added 91 for the 2nd tank.

My conclusion: Normal mode is usable for daily driving and premium gas is definitely recommended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts