Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm new here and realize this is a highly subjective question, but I'm working on buying a new MDX and the deal is coming along ok so far and I may make it official soon. I'm set on black interior (99%). But I can't seem to land on the right exterior color. Thought I was going Lunar Silver but borrowed a Modern Steel and it looks good. Wish the Modern Steel were darker and wish the silver were brighter. Would go with black but my current TL has a lot of swirls on it. Any opinions out there? Already have a white Pilot Elite in the garage so won't go with white. (As a side note, I started this journey thinking hybrid but the deal on the gas powered just seems too good. Dealer says hybrids will go at sticker and will get 2 per month for 6 months or so. AWD Tech will land below invoice.) Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Our 2016 Civic is Lunar Steel and our '17 MDX is Modern Steel. Both are really nice colours but for me, the MDX looks better with a bit of a darker colour.

I had originally planned on gettîng a white MDX until I took a Modern Steel one for a test drive. I was sold at that point.

As you said, it's subjective. See if there's any way you could park the two next to each other at the dealer and see if that helps with your decision.

Good luck!

Reactions: quest4mdx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Andre. The confusion continues. Dropped the borrowed car off last night and had the two colors next to each other like you suggested. Both look great. While walking around, the "best" one seemed to change at various angles of sunlight...direct sun makes them both look great.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lunar Silver here. I shopped it against the Modern Steel and the LS won. The low light effects of the LS are quite eye catching. Comes off with a touch of light blue tint with diminishing light. We've really come to love it...we always have preferred dark vehicles. The LS also hides dirt quite well in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lunar Silver here. I shopped it against the Modern Steel and the LS won. The low light effects of the LS are quite eye catching. Comes off with a touch of light blue tint with diminishing light. We've really come to love it...we always have preferred dark vehicles. The LS also hides dirt quite well in my opinion.
Thanks for those photos. Really shows the full sun and low light. We noted the light blue when studying colors for the Pilot. Going to be a tough call. Thanks for the samples!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Modern steel vote here, it's an interesting color that is much nicer than just 'gray', it has a subtle purple tone to it. Our last two MDX's have been black but they show too much wear and tear over the years even though I know how to maintain black properly. Modern Steel is a nice balance between a dark color and one that hides dust and inevitable blemishes. MS also responds well to sealants and spray detailers, really glows when it's clean, you don't get that with silver. Silver looks good on the MDX and is probably a better choice if you don't maintain your paint very often (or well).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Modern steel vote here, it's an interesting color that is much nicer than just 'gray', it has a subtle purple tone to it. Our last two MDX's have been black but they show too much wear and tear over the years even though I know how to maintain black properly. Modern Steel is a nice balance between a dark color and one that hides dust and inevitable blemishes. MS also responds well to sealants and spray detailers, really glows when it's clean, you don't get that with silver. Silver looks good on the MDX and is probably a better choice if you don't maintain your paint very often (or well).
Thanks for the info. How do you like the ebony interior on the modern steel? Part of the silver thought was the contrast with the ebony. While the gray interior looks good with the modern steel, I am set on black interior coming from my black TL with gray inside. Ready for a change. As far as maintenance, I'll keep it up fairly well but don't want to drive myself too crazy taking care of the black exterior. Although always nervous about applying anything to these factory finishes. Thanks again!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for the info. How do you like the ebony interior on the modern steel? Part of the silver thought was the contrast with the ebony. While the gray interior looks good with the modern steel, I am set on black interior coming from my black TL with gray inside. Ready for a change. As far as maintenance, I'll keep it up fairly well but don't want to drive myself too crazy taking care of the black exterior. Although always nervous about applying anything to these factory finishes. Thanks again!
We looked carefully at both interior options but the gray is really much too light and the wood is a different species that has an orange tone to it. I've had a light interior before and it hard to keep the light leather clean and since we have kids, black was the choice. I think black looks a bit more luxurious, hides some of the plastic feel of the dash. You probably know what color you want, just trust your instincts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lunar Silver here with SH-AWD and Tech package and Ebony interior. I love the Lunar Silver overall. It's a lustrous, metallic, rich silver and looks stunning in all conditions. In bright daylight it looks very light in color, which I like because I was thinking about the Pearl White before ultimately deciding on Lunar Silver. Lunar Silver also turns much darker at night, closer to Modern Steel. Also hides dust, dirt, and swirl marks quite well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I agree with all of them! Had to finally make a decision and we are going with Modern Steel with Ebony. Was a tough choice but we are happy with it. Thanks all!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congratulations! I think you made an excellent choice. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Notice the violet hue to the LS as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts