Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the process to color match the mud flaps? is there a technical name for it? did you order the factory paint and use it or did the shop match the color w/ their own paints?

thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Color Matching

You can't order matching paint from Acura [except touch-up paint]. If you want to do the painting yourself, you go to an automotive paint supplier who then mixes the color using "base colors" [called toners]. All major auto paint manufacturers [e.g. Dupont, Sherwin Williams, BASF, etc] provide users of their "paint systems" the formulas for mixing paint for virtually all colors from all auto manufacturers.

If you have parts painted by a dealer or independant body shop, they will mix "your color" with whatever paint system they use. Some do not even bother, they simply order paint from an automotive paint supplier just like you would [see para above].

Note: Vehicle color is documented as vehicle color code, not color "name". Reason: GM may use same color [identical color code] for Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, etc but each brand will give it "their name" [e.g. Firetruck Red, Firemist Red, Friggin Red, etc.].
Same goes for Honda [Honda Accord white is same as MDX white].

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i saw that post. it was mentioned that they had to do something special to make the paint stick to the rubber(plastic) but did not go into details about it. i pmed the person, but they never got back to me so i thought if someone else had it done... :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Color Matching Flexible Vinyl/Plastic

I have a little knowlege. May not be sufficient to warrant the following, but hopefully, any errors will be pointed out by others:

Flex parts can be colored. If you have a non-metallic color, you can use Vinyl Dye or Automotive Paint. If you have a metallic/pearl color, you are "sorta stuck" with paint:

Prep: This is key for either vinyl dye or paint. Must remove ALL traces of silicone, wax, yada yada. Then create a very good preparation [sanding and primer with FLEX AGENT].

Vinyl Dye [for non-metallic/non-pearl]: Just thin and spray ONCE prepped.

Automotive Paint: MUST add flex agent to paint base coat and clear coat or PAINT WILL CRACK when flexing occurs.

Tim's "concern": Prep must be right on or paint will not adhear [read this troublesome = some % will fail]. Even with flex agents, sufficient flexing will cause paint to crack [read this = more failure]. Thus, I suspect, Tim is shying away from a process that will generate a % of problems. Additionally, I would suspect that Tim's dealership would do the work IF THE CUSTOMER UNDERSTOOD the risks [e.g. no warranty; if you bend the splash guard far enough, it will fail; etc.].

Tim -- If you see this, please do not hesitate to correct me ... I am trying to help, I do not want to create any misinformation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wanted a set of color matched flaps

How does Lexus do it for RX300? Their rear mud flops were
upper half painted to match the bumper.

Don't you think the black mud flop look bad on a beautiful colored bumper?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm not sure how Lexus does theirs (maybe from factory), but I did mine at a local mechanic who had a body shop for $10 a piece. They had the paint they used for painting other Acuras. They painted a total of 4 coats. I'm not sure what they are but they've sticked up to now. I don't think you can go wrong with $40. I think it makes a big difference in the looks.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
You are right, srpbep. Flexible parts like fender flares are made of high-impact ABS plastic, which by design takes well to paint if proper flex agents are used. Mudflaps, however, are made of polypropylene, which is much more flexible and "slippery" by nature. Besides which, they are placed low on the vehicle with the primary purpose of attracting rocks and debris. A couple of good kicks in the wintertime to get mounds of snow out of the wheelwells might be all the paint needs to crack off=unhappy customer.

While I agree that they look great, I just don't have confidence in the paint holding up over the long run, especially in climates like mine that can be described as "harsh" (as evidenced in my photos from this past winter!). I may be wrong on this, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Acura dealers probably won't do it for the exact reasons that Tim mentioned, since they have a specific standard to adhere to. But if you go with some of the smaller body shops, they'd be willing to do it. They also charge much less. As long as you know the possible implications, including chipping and cracking. But for $40 or $50 for me it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Painting Flexible Parts

Tim,

Thanks for the clarification. Since some people are painting their flaps I hope they do understand that "failure of the paint" has to be expected.

MDXtrous is obviously informed [thus making informed decisions] -- cool.

Others may "assume that it works" by simply seeing colored flaps in some of the pics -- not cool [in my book]. This should be a concern for all of us. Certainly your dealership should not have to defend your position about why you won't do this when "other paint shops are willing to do it with no problem".

..... Steven

1 - 10 of 10 Posts