Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 MDX Hybrid. I experience three recurring issues. First, and most worrisome, is that the vehicle's CMS will engage at Level 3 driving through a circular curve on a two lane road when there is a car in the opposing lane. It's really a safety issue that the car engages the brakes when it is not necessary. Second, the Lane Keep indicates a lane shift when I am in the middle of the lane. Third, while I am actively steering the vehicle, the warning system flashes "steering required". My dealership indicates that they have never heard of these problems, but have any of you experienced them. Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
474 Posts
This unfortunately is the problem with AI and inserting it into vehicles when it is not ready to be installed! You are correct it is a safety issue and will be until the dealer fix's it! I am presently researching a new vehicles that have no AI or those that can be disabled for reasons such as this and others that have been mentioned in the forums.

·
Registered
901 Posts
This sounds like a sensor aiming issue. While I have not had an Ody with this tech, I did have a 2016 Ford Explorer with it. Had a bumper tap incident and the sensor that was behind the bumper cover was damaged and a mount tab broken causing the sensor to shift left and then it started picking up cars in the oncoming lane. I replaced it myself, but still needed the Ford dealer to program the PCM to recognize the new sensor and aim it properly.

This is a fairly sensitive aiming issue with very little margin for error in order to only sense the proper lane. In addition I would think there would need to be a steering angle sensor that is capable of telling the sensor to ignore certain quadrants of the sensor information when dealing with turns assuming the sensor itself isn't designed to pivot following the steering direction. Having seen Ford's sensor I know that one was not designed to pivot so there would almost have to be technology that breaks down the data by quadrant to account for turns. Either try another dealer or go back to the previous dealer and insist on seeking a solution.

·
Registered
901 Posts
This unfortunately is the problem with AI and inserting it into vehicles when it is not ready to be installed! You are correct it is a safety issue and will be until the dealer fix's it! I am presently researching a new vehicles that have no AI or those that can be disabled for reasons such as this and others that have been mentioned in the forums.
I understand your position and I am personally torn on the issue. My biggest worry is very high repair costs as these vehicles age, though I have been around long enough now to see things like ABS, TPMS, and air bags that early on presented some reliability issues, but very shortly became very reliable. Having driven over 100K miles with the collision avoidance technology with the only issue self inflicted I can honestly say it saved my bacon a couple of times, but the bigger question is does the existence of the technology lead to some drivers relaxing and being less than 100% engaged with the driving task? I plead guilty to that as covering 6 states lead to lots of windshield time that was wasted unless I utilized that time on the phone, etc. Quite frankly I am looking forward to self-driving cars. I know they make headlines when something goes wrong and there is an accident, but once they come to market with it the bottom line is it will offer better safety than human drivers much the same way that airplanes are safer than cars per mile traveled.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quite frankly I am looking forward to self-driving cars. I know they make headlines when something goes wrong and there is an accident, but once they come to market with it the bottom line is it will offer better safety

In the mean time i will allow you and others to be the guinea pig's for the car manufacturers and the Woop's moments. I frankly prefer to enjoy my vehicle and not have to be concerned that road, weather, electrical ,or mechanical conditions can and do interfere with these AI devices causing potential injury to the occupants and others on the road.

·
Registered
901 Posts
In the mean time i will allow you and others to be the guinea pig's for the car manufacturers and the Woop's moments. I frankly prefer to enjoy my vehicle and not have to be concerned that road, weather, electrical ,or mechanical conditions can and do interfere with these AI devices causing potential injury to the occupants and others on the road.
I get that and you are certainly welcome to your opinion. I am far from being the guinea pig on this as it is already on the road. Google, Uber, etc., are already doing it. Of the 38 incidents in California with the cars on the road currently that were in full autonomous mode only 1 was not due to human error. Granted the sample size is still very small. The day is coming though when the infrastructure is fully in place and car accident deaths will be greatly reduced because AI won't be drunk, sleepy, or otherwise operating in a reduced capacity because the driver chooses to text, read, smoke, apply make-up, etc. Averaging 50K miles per year on the road over the last 20+ years means I've seen just about everything other drivers do while driving and I've been guilty of some of it as well. My wife hates using interstates and the speed and volume scares her despite the statistical safety in comparison to 2 lane side roads. This won't be any different.

Humans Are Leading Cause of Self-Driving Car Accidents in California | Fortune

Reactions: Wilsoncc
1 - 6 of 6 Posts