Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start the car when it's cold I get a whiring noise, once it starts and I release the key. Only last a couple of seconds. Warm starts it doesn't happen.

Is this the starter being slow to retract when cold?

·
Registered
62 Posts
yes exactly. I have the same thing on my 06 mdx, will be replacing hte starter at some point in near future, when i feel like doing it. I think there is a way to grease it, without having to replace it. Here is a video from habbyguy

·
Registered
758 Posts
Regreasing is definitely worth a try.

Eventually replaced ours since for the first 7 yrs, our 06 X was a kid taxi with a lot of daily starts, howling, and I was also getting concerned that the solenoid contacts would wear out at an inconvenient place or time. (At the time, checked for solenoid by itself and they cost as much as a starter). Went with a TYC unit for about $85 - have had no issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's kind of reassuring that it's what I thought it was.

I had added the TYC to my Amazon list. Just trying to decide if I should pull it a grease it or just swap it. It's likely the factory starter so it would be 14 years old.

Looks like it requires draining the coolant as well to gain access. If only it had started this before I replaced the water pump.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well it's kind of reassuring that it's what I thought it was.

I had added the TYC to my Amazon list. Just trying to decide if I should pull it a grease it or just swap it. It's likely the factory starter so it would be 14 years old.

Looks like it requires draining the coolant as well to gain access. If only it had started this before I replaced the water pump.
I had a similar issue on my 2004 MDX. I ended up replacing it 5 or so years ago with a new one (I think it was a TYC replacement) and have not had any issues since.

One thing that I am certain about is that I did not need to disconnect anything from my cooling system to get access to the starter. I did need to remove the battery and battery tray. It was a relatively easy job overall and bolted right up.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't recall needing to drain the coolant (06 model). You might have to bungie cord the coolant hoses out of the way to get to solenoid connections with a combo wrench or combo gear wrench. Worst case, get some towels, disconnect the upper hose at the radiator and bungie or wedge it up to minimize coolant loss. Disconnect the battery for sure.

You can probably unbolt it (after battery disconnect) and pull it back far enough to apply a little grease on the pinion shaft with your finger or toothbrush. Reinstall and start it a few times to spread the grease to see if the squeal/howl goes away.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Just to clarify - the starter really does come out easily enough with the battery tray out of the way. Yes, you have to work it around a couple hoses / cables, but it's a whole lot easier (and more effective) to have the starter out of the car so you can really go after it with some degreaser / cleaner and new grease. You won't have to disconnect any hoses or cables (other than those attached to the starter, of course). I actually had a new starter (came with the car) when I pulled mine out, but decided that it was an easy enough job to get it out that I would risk the clean / regrease of the old starter rather than replacing it. So far, so good. If the starter DID start making noise again, I'd plan to drill a hole through the accessible side of the starter housing, so I could lube and (sort of...) clean the shaft without pulling it out. That actually would have been a nice feature to have on the starter in the first place!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.