Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday evening snow/ice hit the Dallas Ft. Worth area. Only the third or forth time in the past 20 years that I can remember. Being a Brooklyn, NY boy this light powder wasn’t going to stop me from picking up my son’s cat from the vet and returning it to him. Besides I had been envious of others and wanted an opportunity to try out the X under these conditions.

My bottom line is that I almost could not tell the difference in handling between the icy roads and normal dry or rain driving. I was very impressed. Of course this is the first vehicle that I have driven w/ the all wheel (or whatever it technically is) drive.

On straight runs, no amount of gas peddle could entice the X off its straight path. From a stop, I could not spin the wheels. Around turns, the slightest slide was corrected with minimum effort. Don’t jump on me now. Most of my experimentation was on a empty road or parking lot and I must admit, I was a bit more gentle with the gas and breaks then I might have been back when I was in my 20s.

One interesting problem did come up with the Navi. While on the highway doing about 10-20 MPH in 25 degrees F, I noticed the Acura symbol flip 90 degrees to the roadway. It looked like I was pointing perpendicular to the road. At one point it turned 180 degrees and looked like I was driving backwards. All this time the Navi showed 3 green bars on the signal meter. Once I got off the highway and away from the slow traffic, all returned to normal.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
wow.. 25 degrees F in DFW? It is hard to believe!!!!!!!!! :p

It is great that you get the chance to test out your MDX in such condition.

I don't have Navi in my X, but shouldn't the Acura Symbol means which direction you are going in the Navi? Whatever it is pointing should be toward North? If the symbol is pointing upside down (180 degree), this means you are going SOUTH.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Navi did weird things too!

How weird! I am also in the DFW area and was out last night picking up my mom at the airport. I also noticed the Navi doing a couple of weird things and I was getting 3 green bars the whole time. The Acura symbol was pointed the wrong way several times and it showed me way off the roadway going at an angle away from road that I was driving on. It also didn't 'snap' to the road several times and would show me driving parallel to the road I was on. Maybe snow/ice on the receiver?

Wade

·
Registered
306 Posts
I live just north of Tom-Tx, just outside Tulsa, OK. We got around 10-12" of the white stuff. Our MDX plowed right thru with no problems. I would not even think of taking my TL out of the garage. The MDX seemed to have no problems whatsoever. I think it passed the test.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: My Navi did weird things too!

wamiller said:
How weird! I am also in the DFW area and was out last night picking up my mom at the airport. I also noticed the Navi doing a couple of weird things and I was getting 3 green bars the whole time. The Acura symbol was pointed the wrong way several times and it showed me way off the roadway going at an angle away from road that I was driving on. It also didn't 'snap' to the road several times and would show me driving parallel to the road I was on. Maybe snow/ice on the receiver?

Wade
That's exacytly what my Navi was doing while driving past DFW airport on 121/114. You don't happen to have a SS MDX do you? I saw one pass me around 5:30 yesterday evening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Re: My Navi did weird things too!

Tom-TX said:

That's exacytly what my Navi was doing while driving past DFW airport on 121/114. You don't happen to have a SS MDX do you? I saw one pass me around 5:30 yesterday evening.
No, I have an '01 MBP and was at the airport around 7pm. I was going from Southlake to the airport and back. I usually don't need the Navi to get from SL to DFW!! I only had it on to try to find a shortcut to Airline Drive and avoid the traffic on 114/121 which was a parking lot in the ice. I was out again last night for dinner and it seemed fine. Not sure what was going on the other night...

Wade

1 - 7 of 7 Posts