Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day while getting a large coffee with cream at Dunkin drive thru, the lid popped off while she was handing it to me and a substantial amount went all over me and the outside/inside of car. I'm not worried about me or the outside of the car, but quite a bit got into the power window switches/door lock buttons on drivers side. I cleaned it up as best as I could, but I know some went down into the switches. No issues for a few days, then today I notice the rear window button is sticking. How difficult is it to remove these switches in order to clean them, or what suggestions does anyone have? I'm about ready to take it to a detailer or maybe a dealer but I'm worried that will cost an arm and a leg. It's a 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD if that info is needed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would suggest just replacing the whole window switch assembly. A quick ebay search gave me plenty of results for less than $50, but a brand new set might cost more. You can remove the door panel with some plastic pry tools and a screwdriver. I removed the door panel and replaced the window switches on my previous Volvo before and I would imagine the process would be very similar for the MDX. The switch unit itself just plugs into a harness so there's no complicated wires to deal with.

Post #42 of this thread has detailed instructions on removing the door panel:
Link

eBay window switches for 2014+ Acura

If you remove the switch unit it wouldn't hurt to try cleaning them with some isopropyl and a Q-tip before replacing it. I don't know what a detailer or the dealer would do to clean it but you can save yourself a bill from them by trying it yourself first. Cheers!

·
Registered
492 Posts
My father-in-law swears by DexoIT. Its an electronics cleaner made for sensitive parts and is safe on plastic. If its just a sticky button, spray it in the cracks and everywhere the coffee might have gone and call it good. The design of most door switches in my experience shield themselves pretty well from moisture. I think the manufacturers account for a certain amount of moisture getting on that part of the door...summer in Florida can create some impressive rainfall and MDX owners have to get in and out of their car or load stuff in with the door open for a spell in that weather (for instance)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
any electronics cleaner should do the trick! I'd unplug the battery and use some cleaner on the switch after you have it taken out! CRC makes some good and cheap electronics cleaning spray!

Reactions: golfdriver83

·
Registered
791 Posts
+1 for trying an electronics cleaner that WON'T harm plastics or other door panel materials as a FIRST try. You can always replace the switch in the future if that method doesn't work, but to replace the switch panel as the first move would be excessive IMO. Plus if you buy a "used" switch who's to say that one hadn't suffered a similar event?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have replaced the switches in several cars, trucks and suvs and I just replace the drivers power mirror in my accord. Honda’s door panels are usually only held in by 4 or 5 screws, and then you lift them off. the multi button switches are usually pretty cheap. I follow the advise of cleaning first with soapy water on a cleaning towel, microfiber or cotton. Don’t worry about getting it a little wet, the water will loosen the buttons. And hopefully break up the sticky. If it fails you can take off door panel and try again with soapy water you might need to spray the soapy water directly into the switch, let it dry before you hook it back up. And then if that fails put in a new one on. The switch is probably fine you just have to get the sticky off. IMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have replaced the switches in several cars, trucks and suvs and I just replace the drivers power mirror in my accord. Honda’s door panels are usually only held in by 4 or 5 screws, and then you lift them off. the multi button switches are usually pretty cheap. I follow the advise of cleaning first with soapy water on a cleaning towel, microfiber or cotton. Don’t worry about getting it a little wet, the water will loosen the buttons. And hopefully break up the sticky. If it fails you can take off door panel and try again with soapy water you might need to spray the soapy water directly into the switch, let it dry before you hook it back up. And then if that fails put in a new one on. The switch is probably fine you just have to get the sticky off. IMO
(y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 for trying an electronics cleaner that WON'T harm plastics or other door panel materials as a FIRST try. You can always replace the switch in the future if that method doesn't work, but to replace the switch panel as the first move would be excessive IMO. Plus if you buy a "used" switch who's to say that one hadn't suffered a similar event?
(y)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I used soapy water and compressed air to clean the sticky cola mess on my 02 mdx. I just moisten the buttons and let sit for a few minute(without drying), should seep into the same areas as the cola did. Lightly blasted with some air into the crevices. Some electronics cleaner afterwards won't hurt either.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tell us how it works, I’ve only replaced them if they quit working but I’ve cleaned a bunch with soapy water of simple green. Always had food luck I guess they’re made to get wet (on occasion).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used 91% alcohol in past to clean electronics; liquid picks up the dirt with tissue and evaporates fast so not to damage circuits. Although, with the current pandemic that alcohol would probably be put to better use to keep yourself healthy instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts