Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

What code readers and / or software bits are popular with this community to communicate with and modify settings on these cars please?

I'm coming from the Volvo world; we have our DiCE tools (hardware) and our VIDA software (Volvo Information and Diagnostics for Aftersales) to do all sorts of troubleshooting and editing of values (turning up and down seat heater temps, calibrating headlights, etc). Does such a thing exist for the MDX's / Acura / Honda world?

Edit for sake of clarity: My girlfriend has a beautiful 2006 Acura MDX that I am trying to learn.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

-Steve

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Yes, we have the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) - it's basically the same software the Honda dealership garages were using some years ago. Works great. A LOT (!!!!!) easier that configuring that VIDA / Dice system for a Volvo (at least it was for me). I ended up having to run a virtualbox installation on a "newer" laptop, which is a royal pain.

There are a host of people selling HDS clones - I got mine off eBay, IIRC, for around $100. They'll generally include the software, and it's a LOT easier to install than the VIDA / Dice (much less picky about operating system, etc.).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some options for HDS:

I recently purchased a cheap knockoff cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-ONDA-HDS-Cable-OBD2-Diagnostic-Cable-Supports-Diagnostics-and-Active-tests/264325902767

It requires Windows XP 32-bit though, so I did go the virtual machine route which does suck.
I haven't done anything other than check that it connects to the car, so I don't know which systems it can actually access. I mostly got it to (hopefully) reset the throttle position sensor after I clean the throttle body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, that cable and CD are less than $30; it's worth it just to try and see if it'll work. Fstrife, you said you confirmed that that software on the CD was able to load on your VM, connect to your Acura via the cable, and talk? That's awesome!!

...If you knew the nightmare it is to get VIDA and DiCE to work, and the $$$ to actually get a knockoff set, oh my gosh...

-Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, they actually accepted an offer for $19 (and aliexpress has it even cheaper), but it does take a couple weeks to arrive from China.

It was able to load the DataList that looked like this (example from ebay listing):

This post makes me think I'll probably run into problems if I ever need to access other systems like ABS and SRS:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
ANYTHING is easier than doing the VIDA / Dice thing!!! ;-)

FWIW, I have an XP laptop for my "car laptop". That's fine since it's dirt cheap, and I don't have to set up a VM (that alone is worth the cost of an XP laptop). Seems that nearly all my diagnostics want an XP machine, so it works out well for me.

This looks more or less like the clone I bought about four years ago. Claims to work on Windows 7 too (nice option). https://www.ebay.com/itm/V3-102-004-HDS-HIM-OBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-With-Double-Board-Z-TEK-USB1-1-To-RS232-/223447586525

1 - 7 of 7 Posts