Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite an odd clunk sound coming from the rear of the vehicle when turning corners, and entering parking lots on an incline. It almost sounded like the spare tire was not secured, but upon checking I am unable to move it so there must be something else. Is it possible there's something I should check in my suspension?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Just had that last year. Rear axle assembly! Whenever I was leaving a parking lot and the road leveled out from a decline it came from my right rear hand side. I also heard it if I went over a speed bump a little faster than a crawl that made the rear lift and drop quickly. I replaced the rear shock absorbers and bushings just so I won’t need to have any worries back there for awhile. She rides better now. Partsgeek is my favorite place to keep everything good priced and upgrading to higher than OEM level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my 2006 it was the upper shock bolts. These are shoulder bolts (not threaded the full length). The bolts tightened down on the shoulder and not the shock sleeve. It allowed the top of the shock to shift when going over bumps. Drove me nuts. I had people ride in the back trying to find the noise. I couldn't see it from the outside as I couldn't move the top of the shock by hand. I replaced the rear shocks and the noise was still there. I finally found it when the welded nut on the frame sheared off and I could really see the movement. I stacked up a few fender washers between the bolt head and the shock sleeve and it's now solid as a rock, not a sound on even the roughest roads.

On mine the clunk was very "sided". You could tell it was coming from the wheel well area when driving and not the center spare/fuel tank/rear diff area.

Andy

·
Registered
485 Posts
Check if your spare tire is loose. The lift cord might have stretched a little and/or the spare might have lost some air. Just reach under and push on the tire. If it's loose, check the air pressure and tighten the lift cord with your jack wrench.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I agree with LOP - I replaced my shocks chasing a similar clunk only to find out it was the spare tire. Easy enough to put a half-turn on the adjuster (below the pop-up panel near the rear bumper) to make sure it's snug enough.

Otherwise, there are lots of bushings back there that could cause noises. Sway bar bushings and links, control arm bushings, etc. You might be able to find something loose if you crawl under the rear of the car with a pry bar and give everything a healthy tweak to see if it moves more than it should.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I will certainly give the spare tire another look. Maybe just lower it, and then bring it all the way back up again. It really does sound like something is easily sliding around freely. Will report back shortly. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire pressure appears good, and I made sure it was tight up there. The issue still occurs. It most often happens when turning left, and especially when turning left into a parking lot where the entrance is at an incline. Going over bumps while going straight or turning right does not reproduce the issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Last winter I had a similar sound while turning on my 2004 MDX and it ended up being the left rear stabilizer link. One end of the link was completely broken off. It was pretty easy to replace with no special tools required.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Check the obvious start with the rear sway bar bushings and sway links... Then shock absorbers.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I agree that the sway bar bushings and links are the most obvious culprits, based on the symptom (since the bar is under little stress when both rear wheels move the same direction, but the whole system is stressed when they move independently).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quite an odd clunk sound coming from the rear of the vehicle when turning corners, and entering parking lots on an incline. It almost sounded like the spare tire was not secured, but upon checking I am unable to move it so there must be something else. Is it possible there's something I should check in my suspension?
Be sure to tighten the lift cord for your spare tire. My spare seemed to be fairly snug but when I had it at the dealer service department, they tightened the lift wire with a lug wrench and it corrected to problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts