Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill start by stating that i have searched extensively, and this is a last resort.

I have a clunk in the left front while driving at slow speeds (under 40-50 km/h)

it seems to be getting worse these last few weeks.

i have replaced, front sway bar bushings and links, both made no difference.

i also inspected the entire front end, no play in any joint.

i removed the left front wheel, and tightened the motor mount and ensured all other bolts in the vicinity are tight. after road testing, it did seem slightly better (could have been in my head) i did this tonight, so haven't had a chance to really test it out.

it seems that people point towards the compliance bushings, how do i test those prior to replacing.

as well, the strut, whats the best way to inspect / check to ensure its it.

i don't want to get into throwing parts at it.

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I removed and dissembled the left front strut. The mount appears to be worn. As indicated in the pictures.

The strut itself appears to be normal , no signs of leaking or excessive play.

I greased the strut mount and reassembled (I didn't have a new one). The noise seems ever so slightly better. But given the amount of wear on the mount vs the amount of stress that part takes, I think it's possible that the grease would do nothing.

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Did you check for vertical play w/ strut disconnected from lower arm? This should show any loose parts in strut mount.

good luck

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did, as well as I fully inspected the whole unit once out of the vehicle.

a new mount is $75, and if I do need a new strut, I will need to replace it anyway. but I'm still not certain its the mount, despite the visual wear.

I used to be a mechanic, at Acura for 6 years, I know my stuff. it honestly sounds like sway bar bushings/ links (these were replaced with quality parts (MOOG)).

I had my wife drive the car while I sat in the passenger seat to ensure no noises from the right side, its quiet. just the drivers side.

my list of possibilities are : motor mount, strut (I did inspect it dissembled, and seems fine), strut mount.

wish there was a better way to inspect the lower control arm bushings.

·
Registered
286 Posts
In my case during the certification process my vehicle had the same clunking noise symptoms. Acura dealer said it was the ADS shocks which they replaced under the extension warranty program that supposedly goes till end of 2016 but the dealer covered it when it was done this past March (2017). Glad they did as each ADS shock is something like $1600.00 CDN each. Once replaced clunking noise resolved. Until 3 or so years from now and at that point I will be putting in regular shocks and the resistor to cancel out the ADS warning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
it seems that people point towards the compliance bushings, how do i test those prior to replacing.

You were an Acura tech for 6 years and you "know your stuff." Seems like you would know the answers to these basic questions or could easily get the answer from Honda.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You were an Acura tech for 6 years and you "know your stuff." Seems like you would know the answers to these basic questions or could easily get the answer from Honda.
That was ten years ago dude. And I am no longer living close to a dealer.

These forums are for people to help others, not for cheap shots from the peanut gallery.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I removed and dissembled the left front strut. The mount appears to be worn. As indicated in the pictures.

The strut itself appears to be normal , no signs of leaking or excessive play.

I greased the strut mount and reassembled (I didn't have a new one). The noise seems ever so slightly better. But given the amount of wear on the mount vs the amount of stress that part takes, I think it's possible that the grease would do nothing.

Any input is appreciated.
I have the same issue as you when I did my overhaul suspension and I didn't get OEM part #11, 13, 14 on the site below.
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-...ngine/chassis-cat/front-shock-absorber-1-scat
I took it to a mechanic and he think it is one of those parts that I mention above.
I use KYB parts got it from Rockauto, so I will be switching those parts out to see if it solved the issue. I must have defected parts I will call RockAuto to get an exchange.
I also thought it was the stabilizer bush and will be replacing that too, still waiting for the parts to come by next weekend.
Let me know if you issue has been solved before my does.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the same issue as you when I did my overhaul suspension and I didn't get OEM part #11, 13, 14 on the site below.
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-...ngine/chassis-cat/front-shock-absorber-1-scat
I took it to a mechanic and he think it is one of those parts that I mention above.
I use KYB parts got it from Rockauto, so I will be switching those parts out to see if it solved the issue. I must have defected parts I will call RockAuto to get an exchange.
I also thought it was the stabilizer bush and will be replacing that too, still waiting for the parts to come by next weekend.
Cluncking has been solved my issue is the bearing was broken it was the #13.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cluncking has been solved my issue is the bearing was broken it was the #13.
Any chance you have a picture of the parts removed that we're the cause of the clunk? I'd like to compare it to mine in my picture.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Part #13 is the bearing inside of the strut mount. Just get a strut mount kit, its the entire mount with a new bearing. It fixed my issue. Mine is none Sport. I needed struts and shocks regardless. The Noise Did not go away after the new struts and shocks. They said my mounts were fine. Recently, a strut mount totally failed on me. I had it replaced. The noised has reduced a great deal, but I can still hear it at times. I'm going to replace the other mount as its just as old as the other that failed. I'm pretty sure I need new motor mounts as well. I have 130k miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any chance you have a picture of the parts removed that we're the cause of the clunk? I'd like to compare it to mine in my picture.
Here is the photo #13 Bearing.
When you remove your struct out inspect your struct I can see my clearly, I also put in new stabilizer bushing.
My car has 160k original suspensions, just replace everything don't try to re-use old parts even if it look good.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.