Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 MDX.
So I have some engine knocking. I heard it right after I purchased it and told the guy I bought it from (good friend that is a broker).
He set me up to take it to a smaller shop, so I did. I turned it on and popped the hood, to which he said, "sounds like clogged fuel injectors, but I'd take it to an Acura shop because they have better equipment to check it out."
My broker picked it up at my work, took it in, and told me, "They say that is something that effects a good potion of MDX's and there really isn't a remedy."

It seems to be getting louder, but maybe I'm just getting more annoyed with it. I've tried one of the better cleaners to no avail. I'm taking it in this week myself to the dealer, because frankly, it shouldn't sound like this. And I can't imagine that if I had the dealer turn on a few of the ones they have on the lot that they will all sound like this.

A) Is this a common issue?
B) Are any other owners experiencing this?
C) Should I just take it to another shop?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
What Octane are you using, where do you get your gas, have you checked out the spark plug conditions for each cylinder, and how is your engine power/acceleration/mpgs?

Seems like knocking would come from:
- low octane fuel
- issue with the spark plugs
- from carbon/oil build-up in cylinder(s) retaining enough heat to burn fuel mixture before spark plug can

I would think a clogged direct injector would lessen engine power and effect mpgs since the fuel isn't getting atomized as much and mix/burn completely? Maybe the extra un-burnt fuel is causing carbon build-up in the cylinders and knocking. You might just have carbon build-up common in direct injection engines instead of from clogged fuel injectors.

·
Registered
391 Posts
might be the fuel injectors at work here.

go back to the dealer and listen to the other MDXs there. they should sound the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although using Premium, it's Colorado Premium, so it's 91. Not bad, but not great.
My plan is to take it to the dealership Friday and leave it running and have them come listen to it so I don't get the "We didn't hear anything when we had it" line. And if they say it's normal to go around and listen to as many as I can to find one with the same issue.

Basically I'm going to be pissed off either way that this turns out.
If it's deemed normal, I have to live with this noise for the duration (Although I'll still probably take it to a different shop)
Or I'll be upset if the do say it needs worked on because I told them that the first time.

In the end, I just want it fixed though because I really dig this vehicle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My brand new MDX got noisy knocking from the valve too. The noise is still there after switching to Mobil oil. Fortunately, the noise is gone after switching to Penzoil Platinum.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've been active on this site since the 3rd gen MDX came out (I have a 2014) and don;t recall seeing 'any' posts about clogged fuel injectors so I highly doubt it's a chronic problem with this vehicle and I think there's a very good change yours doesn't actually have clogged injectors.

There have been some posts regarding 'noisy' injectors due to this being a direct injection engine where they tend to be noisier than non-DI engines. Mine isn't noisy and most people say they can't really hear it from inside the cabin. Do you?

I think you're doing the right thing with the plan to take it to the dealer but when you do, don't talk about 'clogged injectors', talk about 'noisy engine' and see what they have to say.

Manera's point of listening to other MDXs at the dealership for comparison is a good one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts