Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
THANK YOU! :smile2: Our 2002 MDX went to 0:00 on 8/16/17. I tried the obvious things; went into the diagnostic menu, redownloaded the software, etc. Nothing worked. I googled around but didn't find the TL thread. Talked with an Alpine service tech yesterday who had never heard of the problem. His recommendation was to take it to the dealer. I then thought, well, how about a stick-on digital clock. Didn't like that solution because you can't read it at night. Was getting ready to pull the display and the DVD drive today to send them to Alpine for repair. So, your post has hopefully saved me the cost of having Alpine refurb the unit. Let's hope that the system resets itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Problem is local

When I went into the diagnostic menu it shows the correct GMT time, but just does not display it. So, I think the satellites and the GPS unit are working OK. But something is amiss in the GPS unit's software.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You May Want To Register Your Vehicle with Honda Customer Service

I called Honda Customer Service yesterday (888-528-7876) to register our 2002 MXD. Talked with a nice guy who said that they were aware of the problem and that it was affecting thousands of vehicles. I gave him our VIN, mailing address and e-mail address and he gave me a case number.

He said Acura was working on a solution and that they would contact me when a fix was available. I asked about the 1024 weeks theory and he said no, the problem was created by something sent in the satellite signal. In fact, he said one possible solution may be to fix the problem remotely via satellite. Interesting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Help is on the Way?

I called Acura customer service today to follow up on the clock issue. The rep said that they did have a fix and that I would be receiving a recall notice in the mail to take our 2002 MDX to the dealer for a no charge repair. He said that the reason that this is taking so long is that it is a national recall issue that has to be worked through NHTSA and that they needed to prep the dealers on the fix. He didn't know when the notices would be sent out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No Happiness Yet

Since I had not received a call from Acura I called tech support to follow up. The guy looked up my case number and told me that they did not have a fix for my 0:00 issue as yet. He said that there are two different problems with the same symptom of 0:00 and that they are still working on it. Depending on model and build date the electronics are different. Our 2002 MDX was an early 2002 unit. We took delivery around Thanksgiving of 2001.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fix Disc Didn't Work

We received the fix disc yesterday and tried to do the install. It did not update the unit but just kept cycling back to the globe splash screen. I called customer care and the guy said that maybe it was a bad disc and they are sending me another one. The only other odd thing is that printed on the repair disc is "Clock Displays 00:00". Our unit displays 0:00.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Second Fix Disc Didn't Work

We received the second fix disc after the first one didn't work. This one got a little further, to the point where it said uploading software. However, it would hang when it got to bar 4 and then display a Check Disc message. I tried this a couple of times and then cleaned the disc and tried again. Same result.:frown2: Talked with Customer Care who is sending a third disc. If that one doesn't work the guy said that I will be referred to "Complex Cases".

·
Registered
63 Posts
178 Days Later, Success!

After the second fix disc didn't work, I wondered if perhaps the problem could be with the drive. So, I used a DVD lens cleaner disc (it has small brushes on the down side) and ran two cycles of cleaning. Then inserted fix disc 2 which operated as promised and voilà, the clock is back.:smile2: In the end, not too surprising; the drive has been sitting under the passenger seat for 16 years collecting dust and dog hair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.