Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've searched and not had any luck on this one. I've installed a replacement DVD player to the MDX 03 model. It had a DVD player roof mounted previously. Unfortunately I popped the fuse No 11 10A whilst installing, which has been replaced. Auto dimming of the interior lights works; dvd player auto dim of LED's works and DVD player works fine. Issue is that on each time of getting back into the car and turning to charge the clock and trip computer are reset.

Have since gone back and disconnected the LEDs in the DVD player to see if this is causing the issue and the drop out still appears to be there.

Battery is showing at 12.5volts; drops to 10 volts under cranking. Does also drop a bit when central locking kicks in too.

Wondering if this is battery related rather than being wiring related.

Next test is to remove DVD player and see if the issue is still present.

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Ive now pulled the new DVD player back out and fitted the old one back in.

Issue is still the same - no clock; fuel usage resets as well - seems like the back up power (constant 12 v to information display has gone out)

Cleaned battery terminals as well and nothing different

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You might also check fuse #10 (passenger's side fusebox) and #54 (engine compartment, though I suspect other things would be out if this one was bad).

I wonder if whatever blew the #11 fuse took out the display unit. Unless the short was directly to the power lead going into the display unit, it means whatever you shorted out drew more than 10 amps through "something"... my guess is that you're probably going to have to replace the display unit. I believe (without much backup) that it's not a hard "fix", though I suspect they're not really cheap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the fuses - all okay; got a new battery for the car - fault is still there.

Further investigation to be done this weekend

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the trip computer and radio out to see if there was another fuse as the original DVD player was a dealer fit option rather than factory.

Turns out the DVD was a eurovox system and that they have put in place a 'power converter' which was basically a box with connector at one end to the car and the other to the wiring loom to the DVD player. This had just a simple re-routing PCB in it and one of the circuits was a brown colour. Stuck the multimeter onto it and no continuity on the circuit - problem found!

Have now put a fuse in line to the constant power, one to the accessories and a further one that was connected to the new DVD player in the roof.

Clock now holds power and memory functions; DVD player works and interior lights are all happy.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Good job! Apparently the "re-routing box" was designed with printed circuit board lines that would take less current than the fuse protecting them... a really bad idea. But it's great that the problem didn't end up being your display unit!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts