Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2017 last friday. Got a good deal on a car with 15500 miles on it. Been playing with the settings and learning what I can, but simply can not figure out the clock at all. It never keeps track of time while the car is shut off. So if it says 730pm when I park it in the garage for the night, it will read 730pm in the morning. While running and after setting it, it works fine until the ignition is shut off.

The clock seems to be the only issue. It saves all others presets and settings. Overall this is a minor annoyance, but I’m hoping for an easy fix that I somehow overlooked before taking it to the dealer and possibly getting charged a diagnostic fee for something that they determine to be user error.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
32 Posts
The clock relies on GPS signal to sync/update. How is your navigation signal in the garage?

Have you tried leaving the clock alone and just driving around having the Nav screen on? Does the clock sync up then?

Also do you have the Auto Time Zone setting on or off?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Auto time zone is off. But it does this whether it’s on or off. The clock never syncs up at all. While driving, sitting stationary in a wide open area, or when using nav.

I had a feeling the clock is synced with gps, so that leads me to the other issue that I sort of fixed. I got the car on Friday. Until yesterday morning, I could not get the nav gps to work at all. I live in southern AZ, and no matter what the nav screen always showed me as being in Vegas. The diagnostic screen showed an error for the GPS antenna, and shows that it doesn’t have any satellites tracked at all. What’s strange is I manually selected my location, and the nav works great. It automatically updates my position and and routes me to chosen destinations just fine. However, the diagnostic screen for GPS still shows an error with no satellites tracked at all.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
32 Posts
I don’t know about Acura but on the Ford if I select my start position it uses the “compass” and VSS to simulate vehicle position when GPS signal is not available.

I would guess the MDX would use the same to track the vehicle in a tunnel.

If the Diagnostic Screen is telling you there is a problem with the GPS antenna than I would put money on that being the cause of your clock issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn’t considered the possibility of the navigation working without gps.

Also, from what I read it sounds like some acura nav systems are inoperable without a working dvd player and a nav dvd in it. Mine has no DVD player, only the cd slot in the entertainment center, which may or may not read dvd’s for update. It would seem odd that a dvd is always required for functional gps, as it means you would have to pick between playing a cd (primitive, I know) or using gps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I believe all 2014+ MDX uses a hard drive-based GPS system, the DVDs are used for map database updates.
Previous DVD-based MDXs had a separate nav DVD drive under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Diagnostic doesnt show any issues with the hdd. Guess I will find out tomorrow at the dealer

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
657 Posts
My guess a blown fuse or a wirw disconnected. Clocks should have mili volts feeding them all the time to maintain time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts