Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading internet posts for days but don't see anything that is quite on point with my issue. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 2004 MDX with Navi and entertainment system. The Navi DVD unit went out over a year ago, so I lost my navi and touchscreen controls. Despite this, my heat and A/C still worked fine by simply setting it to auto and adjusting the temp.

About a week ago, the heat and A/C quit. I have power to the LCD screen showing the temp reading and I have lights to the control buttons.

When I first turn on the system, the A/C light comes on, the compressor starts, and a couple seconds later turns off. That's it. The blower never comes on. I can run the temp all the way up and all the way down and I don't get heat or A/C.

My local mechanic didn't even want to look at it, thinking it was the computer controls in the navi unit. I just don't think this is the case as it has worked independently from the navi system for a year.

I am not a mechanic by any stretch, but I have done many repairs myself and find it very rewarding. Can anyone please offer some advice?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It's very likely that you could receive a DTC code from the system that will be very helpful in diagnosing your problem. Here is how that's done...

It's a pretty complicated system, and other than suggesting you check any fuse related to any relevant system, getting the DTC codes would be the best first step.

Also, having an HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) on a laptop would likely be VERY helpful as well - they're pretty cheap, though you do have to do a fair amount of research to make sure you get one that works with the laptop you'll be using. With it, you can drill down into the guts of the system, and do useful troubleshooting like turn on and off the A/C compressor clutch independent of any other system or switch setting (or see the "set condition" of everything else in the system). I'm not super-familiar with that section of the HDS, never having used it to look at my own climate control system (happily!).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts