Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving the same route the past week and was a bit curious as to why my gas mileage varied rather inconsistently when I came across the following. My AC was on even though the AC indicator on the navigation screen said it was off. The LCD temperature setting display said I was in the 'auto' mode verses 'fully auto' mode. After playing around with the various climate controls I found out the following on my vehicle. If the climate control is off (hard button) and I proceed to turn on the fan (soft button) via the navigation screen the AC is turned on. This AC (soft button) shows the AC to be off and the temperature LCD shows the climate control to be in the 'auto' mode. In my mind I may have been driving with the AC on without knowing it. I plan to call my dealer tomorrow. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah...It's confusing as heck. I believe the AC On/Off is the opposite of 'common sense'....mine anyway. When you see A/C ON it means it's really OFF and if you want it ON you need to press it. Of course it then displays A/C OFF while it's really ON. Go figure. I guess this is a "button question"...like want A/C "ON"?...*press here*. We were trying to figure this thing out while blasting toward San Francisco last weekend. The A/C option is only displayed when you're in AUTO. In FULL AUTO...it has a mind of it's own and runs according to your set temp and the rear Passenger control panel does not operate. However, in AUTO the rear controls do operate. From our car trip...all I remember is one setting creates "yelling" from the backseat...and the other setting acts as a "mute" button :). I am still not 100% sure how to get outside air...other than roll down the window. Or, I suppose you could turn off the temp control and use the fan...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Outside air

I've noticed if turn off the climate control using the "off" button, air is still freely flowing from the vents. This is outside air. Now, if you turn on "Recirculation", the outside air is blocked and no air enters. Overall, I think the climate control in the mdx has a long improvement path to follow. One of my biggest problems is it always just jumps into super-heavy_powerful full fan speed when you set a temperature higher/lower than the outside temperature. I think it should do it gradually, not with immediate full power. Should the user need immediate full power, there should be a button for 'Max A/C or heat' like the Ford Expl has! Maybe I like that feature from my ford and that's why I'm biased this climate control on the mdx!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I keep it simple

I found just putting it on full auto and setting the temp keeps me the most comfy. However, I did notice the vent air when the system is shut off which is most unintuitive. As to the back seat issues, no complaints from the dog when he is in the cargo area.

Dmor,
I am surprised that the full auto doesn't produce the same temp (comfort) in the middle seat as up front. Acura has been tauting their HVAC system design as being so sophisticated. Do you need to talk to Acura customer service on this one or family counselling?:D:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have found that if I leave it on Full Auto, the system is fully auto as it should be. If I touch the fan speed, it will indicate auto and I will control only the fan speed leaving the A/C and Mode (where air comes out)still in auto mode. If I touch the A/C button, I now have taken maunal control of A/C on/off function and the same goes for Mode button. If there isn't an indicator on the NAVI screen, that portion of the control is in auto mode. Not sure if I made any sense explaining this.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Re: I keep it simple

remery said:
[B
Dmor,
I am surprised that the full auto doesn't produce the same temp (comfort) in the middle seat as up front. Acura has been tauting their HVAC system design as being so sophisticated. Do you need to talk to Acura customer service on this one or family counselling?:D:D [/B]
Actually FULL AUTO does keep things in an even keel throughout the "chariot"...but you can't use the rear seat controls and this produces weird 'squawking" noises from the rear chambers. :)

As far as OUTSIDE AIR...if I could just figure out a way to let all that buffetting "wind noise" inside the vehicle as opposed to running around the outside windshield seal...I'd have the "outside air" issue licked! :D:D

I AM correct about the "opposite effect" of the AC/ON and OFF buttons...right? :confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: I keep it simple

remery said:
I am surprised that the full auto doesn't produce the same temp (comfort) in the middle seat as up front. Acura has been tauting their HVAC system design as being so sophisticated.
It's sophisticated alright... so much so, nobody understand how to use it.

My wife has been in the 2nd row with the baby and I had it on full auto, which she didn't like because the blower was too high. Once she had control, she found it to be fine. Of course, that requires you take it off full auto.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, the climate control to me is confusing. It would be helpful if there is a FAQ of all climate possiblities (I think Touring = Base in terms of climate functionailities). BTW, what is the difference between a "hard" and "soft" button.

·
Registered
928 Posts
mm... as usual, my non-owner's questions... :) is there an option FULL MANUAL? i dont want the computer to make the 'climate control' decissions for me - well call me old-fasioned - yeah right, this comes after seating for 15-20 hours infront of one!...

about the A/C being ON without any notice, it must be working very quit if you cannot sense the difference or you must be listening to the music very loud! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks all for clarifying the difference between soft and hard buttons. Now if I can figure the climate system out then I'll be set!

·
Registered
162 Posts
With the base (non-nav) climate system, it seems that you can get very close to "full manual" if that's what you want. You can: (i) independently of the "system" determine if A/C should be on or off; (ii) contol where the air comes from -- outside or recirc; (iii) control where the air goes -- mode; (iv) control the temperature. As for the "full blast" feature of the system, I have found that when there is a large change to be made (such as getting into a hot car which needs to be cooled down, or vice versa) the fan really kick in for a few minutes until the temperature is adjusted. Then it cuts back to a quieter operation. The owners' manual explains that the algorithm is designed to accomplish the temperature change as quickly as possible. I agree that a choice in the matter ("max" or "normal") would be nice. All in all, though, I have gotten used to the Full Auto system and rather like it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Re: Re: I keep it simple

DMor said:
[BI AM correct about the "opposite effect" of the AC/ON and OFF buttons...right? :confused: [/B]
Just went to Acura Owner Link and brought up the online manual. According to it, your system is not doing what it is supposed to. Another curious thing, is it states that the system should not be turned off or the air will get stale. The is counter to what I and skspgh have observed unless doing this puts the system into some type of phantom recirculation mode. Again, this is why I just leave it in auto and adjust the temp up or down as needed.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
AC/ON - OFF

My original question...

When in AUTO...(not to be confused with FULL AUTO where this option is not avail.)...and the Nav screen reads AC/ON this actually means the AC is OFF and it is giving me the option to override the setting by turning it ON, correct? As in, if I touch the screen when it says AC/ON...I will turn it ON. If I touch the screen when it says AC OFF...I will turn it OFF. Is this correct?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: AC/ON - OFF

DMor said:
My original question...

When in AUTO...(not to be confused with FULL AUTO where this option is not avail.)...and the Nav screen reads AC/ON this actually means the AC is OFF and it is giving me the option to override the setting by turning it ON, correct? As in, if I touch the screen when it says AC/ON...I will turn it ON. If I touch the screen when it says AC OFF...I will turn it OFF. Is this correct?
I don't believe that's correct, DMor. It indicates the CURRENT STATUS as opposed to the function, as I recall.

When you press the ACOn/ACOff indicator on the screen, you should easily be able to hear the compressor engaging or disengaging to confirm that it's the current AC status on-screen, just like the MODE and FAN indicators show the current status.

Hope that's clear as mud.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: AC/ON - OFF

DMor said:
My original question...

Here's how I see it - let's say the system is in "full auto". For some reason (say X - increased fan speed, pressed re-circ, defrost, whatever) I put the system into Auto. Now, the system is full auto for everything except the atrribute I just pressed X. Similarly, if I press A/C (navi button) and it show's A/C off - I have noticed that it means the A/C is not OFF.
How do I support his logic? Well, let's say I'm in FULL AUTO and I'm cooling the car, for that, we're going to assume the A/C is on! If you now press the A/C (navi) button ONCE, it's displays A/C OFF. That means, it just switched off the A/C. Implying - the button dispalys the current state, not the opposite.
But now I'm going to have to go home, boil in my hot car at the end of the day, and try the two options!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Re: AC/ON - OFF

TheWorm said:
DMor said:
My original question...

I don't believe that's correct, DMor. It indicates the CURRENT STATUS as opposed to the function, as I recall.

When you press the ACOn/ACOff indicator on the screen, you should easily be able to hear the compressor engaging or disengaging to confirm that it's the current AC status on-screen, just like the MODE and FAN indicators show the current status.

Hope that's clear as mud.
I just spoke to my Acura service rep. When you press the "soft" button labelled "A/C ON" it will turn the A/C on and vice versa. Not very intuitive.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Re: Re: AC/ON - OFF

skspgh said:

Here's how I see it - let's say the system is in "full auto". For some reason (say X - increased fan speed, pressed re-circ, defrost, whatever) I put the system into Auto. Now, the system is full auto for everything except the atrribute I just pressed X. Similarly, if I press A/C (navi button) and it show's A/C off - I have noticed that it means the A/C is not OFF.
How do I support his logic? Well, let's say I'm in FULL AUTO and I'm cooling the car, for that, we're going to assume the A/C is on! If you now press the A/C (navi) button ONCE, it's displays A/C OFF. That means, it just switched off the A/C. Implying - the button dispalys the current state, not the opposite.
But now I'm going to have to go home, boil in my hot car at the end of the day, and try the two options!
This is my exact question/confusion. I was trying to turn the AC OFF and couldn't do it, even though it SAID OFF it was still ON. Reason we were monkeying with it was in an effort to gauge our gas mileage on a trip. Then we decided that it might be OFF but was still pumping cold air from the compressor since the outside air was not warm enough to give us a good enough comparison...but if it WAS...it sure pumped for a long time on OFF! I will try to figure this thing out on a warmer day. Manual is little help. Report your findings! :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts