Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm disappointed to see there's so many problems with this. My 2001 touring model has 1400 miles on it, and the ticking was heard on the test drive. I bought it anyway. Dumb.

The dealer hears it too, and automatically replaced the axle leading to the transmission, and now want to give me a rebuilt transmission. I'm speaking with the service manager tomorrow. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Sis!

(Forum gremlins for me tonight. This is my third attempt...sorry if this is a triplicate!)

I will fill in the details for the inevitable questions.

My sister bought her MDX a few weeks ago based on my glowing recommendation. She just dumped her well maintained Mercedes E320 wagon because the transmission failed just beyond the mileage warranty (still under the 4 year time frame though.) Mercedes "generously" split the $7000 repair bill with her...so much for Mercedes reliability and customer service.

The ticking noise is coming from the front of the MDX - it happens whenever the vehicle is in motion. She uses premium fuel and it also ticks when the engine is not under load, so it is not a "pinging" problem. The service department determined that the noise was coming from the outside, ruling out speedo cable, glove box, etc. The drive shaft was replaced today and did not silence the ticking. The service advisor is working with the technicians in California, who told him something to the effect that this is a common problem and replacing the transmission would fix the noise. It will be replaced with a rebuilt transmission. My sister is understandably concerned about this because of her recent Mercedes experience. Her salesman refused her request for an extended warranty and referred her to the service manager. I advised her to ask for an extended warranty on at least the transmission, so that the warranty matches the miles she will put on the MDX before her lease is up.

I am concerned that the technicians in California have termed this a "common" problem, as well as the fact that there are rebuilt transmissions around already for MDXs. Anybody have any suggestions? My sister will not let me forget my recommendation if this turns out to be another Bellteck nightmare!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I'd ask for a new car or, at the very least, an extended warranty. No way they should have to drop a new tranny in a 1400mi car.

FWIW (and too late now): it's usually a bad idea to lease a car for longer than the warranty: you end up paying for repairs on a car somebody else owns (learned that the hard way on my Bimmer).

Back to your clicking: WHERE is it coming from (left/right), WHAT does it sound like (fast/slow/pitch/change-with-speed), HOW LOUD is it? There are a variety of "click" discussions going on, and none have been isolated to the tranny (there are some tranny issues on the TL but I don't know the symptoms):

- There's the throttle-cable bracket (acceleration-related, and fixable)
- There are some complaints of what sounds like pinging under load.
- There are also a few mystery clicks over bumps coming from the front-driver's suspension area (but that hasn't been isolated yet, either; could be the suspension (not the thud) and could be from underdash area).

You might ask them to install some "chassis ears" to localize the problem before ripping out the tranny; that's what they did to identify The Thud.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In squeezing a few more details out of my sister, it is pretty obvious the service department is tap dancing here.

The ticking sounds to her like it is coming from the speedometer. It is a constant tick while the truck is in motion...no variation with speed. My first thought was the speedometer cable...do the electronic speedos even have cables anymore?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
So it's a constant-speed tick, rather than increasing/decreasing depending on speed/gear? I'd think that if it's tranny related, the ticking would get faster/slower depending on speed and gear, no? I'd also think that tranny clicking would be coming from the floorboards, or from lower in the engine compartment, rather than from the dash.

I'm just taking potshots here -- I have no clue. I think we've seen a pattern w/service where if there's no TSB for an issue that isn't blatantly obvious that the service guys are more likely to just start swapping parts rather than spending a lot of diagnostic time tracking down the problems/gremlins. My guess is Acura has probably found it's less expensive from a labor-hour perspective.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Update from service department:
Technician notes:
Ticking noise @ 35-55 MPH at test drive.
Checked tech line summary concerning underhood buzzing noise.
Checked throttle brackets position next to firewall, mounting bold tight, bracket clear from firewall (Not related to noise)
Checked with aid of "chassis ear" (audio equip) area around transmission, differential housing, transmission housing, intermediate output shaft (front). Found loudest noise transmitted to bearing on intermediate output shaft. Replaced intermediate output shaft (Not related to noise)
Checked bolts and tightness surrounding transmission. No loose bolts found.
Checked vehicle noise with other MDX. Found more noise from transmission than other MDX.
Recommend to replace transmission only after approval from customer.

The service department will give my sister an answer on the extended warranty for the transmission before they replace it. I was fishing on a TL forum (might replace mini van with a new TL) and was surprised by the number of transmission problem complaints. I hope there is no pattern here.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Well, it certainly sounds like the service tech is trying pretty hard to isolate it (too bad we don't live closer -- mine just swaps parts in a guessing game).

New tranny at such low mileage is pretty disappointing; I'm sure sis will be able to get a free 7/100 warranty out of them for the trouble. She might have to ask the regional service person rather than the local shop -- that seems to be the route others with major problems took with success. I ask for the 7/100 on the whole car and not just the part.

Did see the multiple tranny posts @ CL and TL forums; fortunately :)rolleyes:) their failures seem to be traditional-symptom ones, like slipping and surging. Nonetheless, it is concerning. Checked the Oddy board, too, but no relevant info there (I often find that the Oddy owners aren't as in-touch w/their cars as we are over here).

Good luck and definitely keep us posted!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's sis again. The service manager at my dealership spoke with Acura, who is refusing to provide an extended warranty for the transmission. The service manager referred me to 1-800; I told him it was an insult and I wanted to speak to the district manager. Reluctantly, he's paging him and I will hopefully have a number to reach him today.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hope you get it. You can always say "OK, if you're not going to extend the warranty, take the car back and give me a new one that works". Worst case is Acura gives you nothing, and you can always take it out on your brother :)

To be honest, the only warranty upgrades I recall were engine related (a couple of early-mile rebuilds), and of course Teck's infamous lemon buyback.

Someone, WAY back when, had the rear diff replaced (also early mileage) but I don't recall them mentioning any comp from Acura.

Let us know what happens. We're crossing our fingers for your brother. Uh, I mean for you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am thinking twice about that TL purchase...Acura really does have a lot to learn about making you feel like more than a Yugo buyer.

I am in KY and jmt is in FL....did you know that there were 8 TL lemon law buy backs in FL?:eek:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
jd,

Yea, I'd be thinking twice (or more) about that TL/TLS based on that board. Granted, we online folks aren't exactly 'typical' consumers, but the # of tranny problems happening sure seem HUGE.

The latest guy over there took his limping TLS straight into the servicebay and picked up his 4cyl Corolla loaner.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Still waiting for appointment with regional rep, who is supposed to be in town this week. I will post any updates.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great News!

My sister talked to the District Service Manager today and he told her that they will replace the transmission and if it does not fix the problem, they will put her transmission back in. If it does fix the problem, Acura will give her an extended warranty on the new transmission through the end of her lease. She said she felt like he was really making an effort to make sure she is happy. I will post the resolution when it is fixed. By the way, she thinks she is developing the "thud."

·
Registered
104 Posts
After 3 days at the dealer for transmission replacement, my sister got the MDX back with a notation from the dealer that the noise "seems" to be gone. My sister says it now is a higher frequency noise at higher speeds. I will be down for a quick visit next weekend and she wants me to drive to give my opinion.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Oh boy--this is giving me shivers...I really hope the best for you (you too bro). Please do keep us updated, and please don't let Acura push you around.

For reference, take a look at BellTeck's oil leak thread to see how Acura will run you around in circles--just be persistent, and I'm sure Teck would be happy to give you pointers. Thankfully, his attitude kept him alive through the process and it turned out well...

Godspeed,
Rob :cool:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Update: I drove the MDX when I was there several weeks back and did hear the ticking once. The ocean breezes made the wind noise so loud, I really could not hear it all the time. My brother-in-law started driving the MDX to work a few weeks ago and he hears it constantly now, too. Another trip to the dealer coming up :( .

My sister called me on her cell phone the other day and I got a chorus of the MDX kazoo....it also sounds like she has the "thud." Looks like this will be her first, and last, Acura. On the bright side, the nephews love it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
TheWorm said:
jd,

Yea, I'd be thinking twice (or more) about that TL/TLS based on that board. Granted, we online folks aren't exactly 'typical' consumers, but the # of tranny problems happening sure seem HUGE.

The latest guy over there took his limping TLS straight into the servicebay and picked up his 4cyl Corolla loaner.
I have a TL-S in addition to my MDX. I bought the TL-S in March and haven't had a single problem with it. For that matter, other than the weeping mirrors (which I consider an annoyance, not a problem) my MDX has been trouble free also. Keep in mind, that the type of people that post on the TL-S frequently modify their cars with aftermarket performance parts including lowering springs, third party sway bars, and after market headers. You can safely assume that those that modify their cars drive a lot harder than the average Acura owner. Also, the TL and CL have a "sport shift" feature that allows you to shift manually. Between the TL and CL Acura has sold over 250K units. The number of transmission problems reported on both boards are less than 50. Acura hasn't disclosed what's wrong yet and there's no assurance that driving habits make a difference. Still, the number of failures vs. the number of cars built is not alarming and I'd still recommed a TL to anyone in the market for a car in the $30K range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts