Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hear and feel (thru the steering wheel) a slight clicking when turning at slow speeds? I experience this mostly when I am making slow turns. ..ie parking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
While it may be something more simple, the symptoms you describe are indicative of a bad cv (constant velocity) joint. have your local service department check it out.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Somebody, several months ago, reported an audible clicking when turning (esp into parking spaces). I can't recall who it was or whether there was tactile feedback as well. Nor can I recall whether the problem was even identified/fixed.

Do a search for "clicking AND parking" or "clicking AND turning" and it might pop up. I'd guess it's @ least 6 months ago if not longer. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
clciking when turning steering wheel

Worm,

Thanks, but I think that post that you are referring to seems to be the one that started this thread?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
soesed,

Thanks for the reminder to check the dates of posts! :) This one really had a lot of dust on it!

But...this isn't the one -- the thread I'm remembering (or inventing, since I haven't found it via search) was one where I posted a reply or two since I also vaguely recall the owner's dealer saying it was "normal" and I checked in with a "no it isn't".

I'll try and hunt it down, but to be honest I don't remember the diagnosis/fix being announced either...:confused:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Clicking noise while turning

Worm,

Thanks for that update. The problem that DL describes does not seem to be what I am noticing. My "clicking" sound is coming from the steering wheel/column. As the wheel is turned in either direction or at any speed, it makes a series of clicking sounds. At first I thought that it was the normal sound made while turning/releasing when the turn indicator is on, but the sound occurs whether or not the indicator is in use.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I noticed something more along the lines of the thread the Worm posted. I've only had it for less than 2 months.

Does this warrant going to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
MDXtrous,

I doubt it. The gastank slosh sounds like you've got a softball pounding in the rear storage compartment (just once, tho), and typically occurs with > 1/2 tank and on straightline stops/starts. It's also obvious that the sound comes from the rear. This is characteristic/normal -- there's a dealer notice on this from 01 (and includes the Oddy's, too, btw).

I'm assuming the stuff in this thread is a noise coming from the front of the car -- i.e. wheel area or steering column for lowspeed turns.

I have no idea what a clicking from the wheel area would be (that other thread mentioned CVs, but as you know the final disposition wasn't posted). But if the clicking is from the steering wheel itself, it could be the contraption that cancels the turn signals or an internal "cable reel" that I believe is hooked up to the airbag +/or the remote radio controls. In either case (wheels or steering column) any noises from that area NOT normal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
clicking sound when turning

I took it in to the dealer to have them address my clicking sound in steering column when making turns and releasing wheel - with or without the turn indicator on. They indicated that all MDX's make the sound. Mine DID NOT prior to my noticing the sound. Could several of you let me know if you have this noise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think I know exactly what you are talking about. I had the same clicking sound. I've now got 650 miles on my MDX and the clicking has seemed to have stopped. Or, I'm used to it. I'll pay more attention when I drive it home today.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Hmm.. clicking or ticking? I get more of a ticking sound. Have just under a 1000 miles. It's from the left front, sounds close to the dash and/or firewall.
It was gone for a few days, and now just shows up now and then.
Shows up under some bumps, mostly the shallow, floating kinds, or sometimes when turning left. So when the weight on the left side is unloading I guess.
It's kind of annoying when it happens, but happens infrequently, and is not very loud, so does not get my full attention.
I will wait to see if it gets much worse, or someone finds a solution.

·
Registered
27 Posts
GMoney,
OK, I paid attention. Once in a while I hear/feel the click, but much less than the first week or so. I don't notice it at all if I don't concentrate on hearing it. Maybe some little piece of plastic wore down to make it stop. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
GMoney said:
Anyone hear and feel (thru the steering wheel) a slight clicking when turning at slow speeds? I experience this mostly when I am making slow turns. ..ie parking.
I would ask the dealer to check the C/V Joint. It's the constant velosity joint where the front axles connect to the front wheels. These don't make noise until usually high mileage or a broken boot which allows dirt to get into the joint. There may be a chance that the c/v joint is defective. Usually the noise will get louder if you cut the wheel to the left or right all the way and drive in a circle. You can hear usually at a slow speed. It's worth a shot to check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Clicking?ticking

Hi Guys, I posted this a long time ago with no confirmations from any others. The clicking - ticking was coming from the steering column or lower ...it could actually be felt thru the steering wheel. I'm sure it was not a broken or worn control arm as the car was brand new.

The ticking when away after a while so there was not much to tell the dealer. I hope it was just something minor. Let me know what you find. It stopped around 3,000 miles or so ... just past the first oil change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts