Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 MDX developed a clicking sound when turning right which sounds like a CV joint gone bad. Visually inspected the axles, boots look intact and there is no grease residue. Lifted the car, the wheels have normal play and nothing looks out of ordinary. Seems like the sound is more pronounced when the car is cold too. Did very aggressive 360 forward and backward turns in the parking lot and axles didn't make any sounds at all. It is only happening when making a normal 90 degree right turn with a moderate acceleration. The car only has 55K miles on it. Any thoughts?

Also, is there a reputable Honda/Acura mechanic in North Dallas/Plano/Frisco members here use?

·
Registered
859 Posts
My 2012 MDX developed a clicking sound when turning right which sounds like a CV joint gone bad. Visually inspected the axles, boots look intact and there is no grease residue. Lifted the car, the wheels have normal play and nothing looks out of ordinary. Seems like the sound is more pronounced when the car is cold too. Did very aggressive 360 forward and backward turns in the parking lot and axles didn't make any sounds at all. It is only happening when making a normal 90 degree right turn with a moderate acceleration. The car only has 55K miles on it. Any thoughts?

Also, is there a reputable Honda/Acura mechanic in North Dallas/Plano/Frisco members here use?
I had same thing happening for past two years, but only it happens when it is really cold like 20F and only on first right turn. Second turn sound is gone. It sounds exactly like bad CV joint, But since it happens when really cold and only first turn, i don't worry about it.... Mine mdx is at 55k right now, had that sound since 20k miles....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...it doesn't get that cold here usually and it did it this morning while the car was cold (high 40s outside)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I had the same issue... Fixed it by replacing the entire Strut Assembly (I needed the shock anyway)..

After lots of diagnosing I believe I found the issue from the 1st gen MDX Tech Tip...
It seems the affected part was the Strut Spring seat (or lack there of) for some bizarre Reason Acura did not add a Rubber insulator between the Strut Spring and Strut Top Hat, So if some kind of dirt or rocks find the right angle it will get stuck between the spring and the seat causing it to "shift" when Turning. Honda fixed it by creating some rubber pieces that can be easily installed between the spring and top hat (Part Number: 52442-S0X-A01*cost about 3bucks a piece), You can find more information here: Tech Tip: Acura MDX Suspension May Pop, Clunk or Thump

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yes mine is a 2G..
Only when turning, for example if I was standing still and I turned the wheels you could hear a clunk from the passenger wheel well. Then if I had to make a 3 point turn it will make those clunks like crazy.. It didn´t make any noise when going straight or If I turned at speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this something that needs to be addressed immediately or am I ok driving with it for a while?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
ONLY IF the issue is the spring then nah.. I believe is a cosmetical/annoying issue at best.. You can drive around no biggie.
But like I said only IF the issue is that of the spring making the clunk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts