Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

Dealer and I having a hard to figure out where is the noise and what caused!

When I brake I can hear a clicking/popping noise from the drivers front. After it has clicked/popped once it will not pop under braking until I accelerate. It is the same with accelerating if I just braked it will pop under acceleration but it will not do it until I brake again. And only appear when i brake and accelerating, but not while driving.

The noise been there long time, but in hot or warm weather the noise seem quiet and hard to tell, now weather get colder and the noise appear to be louder and louder every time i brake and accelerating.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

PS: Dealer already replaced the Strut Shocks, both front and rear. But the noise still there.

2016 MDX Sh-AWD/Tech
32,000 Miles

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I had a persistent clicking noise that was eventually traced to a faulty CV axle. Boot was intact but inner parts were worn.

good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is the brakes. Common issue for this generation, it is the pads shifting within the caliper. Supposedly normal operation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have that problem now. Ours is a problem with the Compliance Bushings on the front lower control arms. Have someone take a look at those.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the brakes. Common issue for this generation, it is the pads shifting within the caliper. Supposedly normal operation.
well that can't be "normal" a luxury car like MDX can't have that annoy sound. It's drive me crazy!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have that problem now. Ours is a problem with the Compliance Bushings on the front lower control arms. Have someone take a look at those.
Did you got it fixed by dealer? Do you have any info and tsb?
Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer fixed the problem. It's not the BRAKES. There seems to be something under the car, there are 2 pieces of metal that hit against each other that make the noise.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Dealer fixed the problem. It's not the BRAKES. There seems to be something under the car, there are 2 pieces of metal that hit against each other that make the noise.
something must have been loose then.

i was going to say maybe it's the ball join found on the upper control arm (replaced one on my '03 Accord that was making popping noise upon turning and braking).

so they didnt go into details as to what it was, huh?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
something must have been loose then.

i was going to say maybe it's the ball join found on the upper control arm (replaced one on my '03 Accord that was making poping noice upon turning and braking).

so they didnt go into details as to what it was, huh?
not really, they just said there are two pieces of metal that against each other and making noise every time i hit the brakes and acceleration. I'll have to jack my car up and see where they fixed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would agree it isn't normal for a vehicle such as this, or any vehicle really. I'm glad they fixed your issue which may not have been your brakes, but it is a common complaint and it is usually the brakes.

This is the "official" explanation:

The clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pad backing plates can cause the pads to
hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new direction of travel (for example: backing up, applying the
brakes, then driving forward and applying the brakes). The clicking you hear is just a normal characteristic of the brake
system. That clearance is there to allow for heat expansion and/or corrosion of the pads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was referring to instances when the pads shift. What was the fix that the dealer did for the op? Wonder if it is the upper spring rubbers, there's a service bulletin for that as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I hear ya

You know what's interesting I just had my relatively new brakes relubed as the shims were sticking and clunking and now the pad shifting is gone .... for now ... does it always come back over time?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brake Pop Click Noise

Dealer told me this is a known issue and even gave me a print out- he said its normal operation BUT i dont believe him.
I think something else is going on.

Mine is a 16 MDX bought brand new, only 20k miles on it so far.
Popping noise wasnt there first 15k miles only started recently..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had exact same problem. Dealer replaced clip that holds brake and noise was a bit bettet for few months and right back to noisy again they say normal charateristic of this brake. And they redesinged brake from 2019 mdx due to that issue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts