Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MDX Advance is 1 yr old, 12k miles. I've noticed a slight metallic click from the tailgate lock assembly. I hear it in two ways. First, if I stand behind the tailgate and open it, I hear a click when the tailgate is about 12" open. I can also hear it as I close the tailgate. Second, when I'm driving I sometimes get the same click (but louder) from the same source. (I've eliminated all other sources.) Happens when I go over some bumps, but not consistently.

I removed the small black plastic panel covering the lock assembly. I could locate what I think is the latch and, when I prod it sideways with my finger, I can create the same clicking noise. But I cannot see any way of muffling the sound or modifying the travel of the latch. The Dealer tells me that it is just the way the tailgate lock works.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have any idea for a DIY fix?
(Oh, another thing, I did notice that the tailgate does move fractionally to the right as it locks.)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've never noticed a clicking sound on the tailgate. Never trust when a dealer states 'it's normal'. If the issue is easy to replicate, as it seems yours is, challenge them to evaluate it objectively by checking the same scenario on another couple of MDXs on their lot with you participating to see if they do the same thing. If they don't then there's clearly a problem on yours that they need to fix. If the others do the same thing then it probably is 'normal', which doesn't mean something couldn't be done to improve it.

It sounds as if there's simply a loose component or dropped screw in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My MDX Advance is 1 yr old, 12k miles. I've noticed a slight metallic click from the tailgate lock assembly. I hear it in two ways. First, if I stand behind the tailgate and open it, I hear a click when the tailgate is about 12" open. I can also hear it as I close the tailgate. Second, when I'm driving I sometimes get the same click (but louder) from the same source. (I've eliminated all other sources.) Happens when I go over some bumps, but not consistently.

I removed the small black plastic panel covering the lock assembly. I could locate what I think is the latch and, when I prod it sideways with my finger, I can create the same clicking noise. But I cannot see any way of muffling the sound or modifying the travel of the latch. The Dealer tells me that it is just the way the tailgate lock works.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have any idea for a DIY fix?
(Oh, another thing, I did notice that the tailgate does move fractionally to the right as it locks.)
well. I had an exact same issue. went back two times for this to my dealership and they replaced parts for me under warranty. all fixed and gone. go visit dealer again and tell them compared to other mdxs on the floor and no other ones will have sound like yours. dealers often do not want to fix it if it is not related to . they say functioning issues. noisy is not a big deal for them as long as it functions it. well if it bothers you visit again and make a case. good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to mdxstang and adreamforall for your input. I will certainly follow up again with the Dealership and let you know what happens. Will take a few days before I can do that.

By the way we did find a loose object on the left side of the tailgate, but that was causing another noise!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts