Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I could really use some help on my paint/clear coat issue. I had some serious tree sap stuck on my white 2015 Acura MDX and I used the car safe goo gone to remove it and it has taken my clear coat off in the area I applied. How do I treat the car to get it looking like it once did. I'm not sure if Acura uses a special type of clear coat or top coat. I don't want to mess things up anymore than they are. Please help, thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you used Goo gone it would have never removed the clear coat.

What makes you think the clear is removed? Is it dull, or can you feel it peeling off with high and low spots?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like it's the clear coat has come off. I used the goo gone in a circular motion and you can clearly see the area I was treating. The pic doesn't do it justice, I can see it from across a parking lot and it's killing me

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could have marred the paint, however the darker spot in the center looks really strange.

What did you apply the Goo gone with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dark spot in the middle is where the tree sap was. I used a red shop rag and a paper towel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay. The good news is you haven't damaged the clear. You need to clean up the spot with a bit of swirl remover, and then polish with a slightly milder polish to bring back the gloss.

You could use Meguairs ultimate compound, and then finish with Meguairs ultimate polish.

Get yourself some microfiber applicators to apply these products, and microfiber towels to buff it off.

I suspect the dark spot in the center is the remaining tree sap that Goo gone has not removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the product recommendation, I will order all of that. The dark spot looks like a shadow from the tree sap, when I run my finger over it it's smooth

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree that's it is highly unlikely Goo Gone with a shop rag and paper towel damaged the clear coat beyond dulling it a bit. It's kind of hard to tell for sure, but it's a white car right? Did you wash the car right before you tried to clean the sap? Have you washed the car since you tried to clean it? Do you typically hand wash the car, used a soft cloth automatic car wash, or use a touchless automatic car wash? From the pic it reminds me of a car that either hasn't been washed recently or gets washed in a touchless automatic wash which often leaves a light film of dirt that is hard to detect until you give the car a proper cleaning. Using the Goo Gone would have removed that film creating a lighter spot where it was used. The protocol suggested above should do the trick and if you haven't given it a good wash by hand or at least in a soft cloth automatic I would add that. I've noticed on white and silver cars they can be deceptively dirty without showing it, then when washed I have to be very methodical about covering every inch of each panel or it's easy to miss spots that really stand out when you rinse off.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
How do I treat the car to get it looking like it once did.
From the photo it looks like you didn't remove the sap, but instead rubbed it into the clear coat. I would use a clay bar and lubricant to remove as much contaminants from the spot as you can and then use a fine polish to try and get it back to the proper finish. If the fine polish doesn't do it, switch to a compound. Use a microfiber towel to buff it off once you are done. If you don't have any experience in polishing, use Meguiar's Ultimate polish / Compound for this - it's a great tool for beginners. Also, do not press on the pad too much, do it lightly, as you are risking in burning your paint.

·
Registered
536 Posts
In the future consider using isopropyl alcohol to remove sap. I use it with paper towels to remove tree sap and it has never harmed the clear coat. It does take patience, and it takes more patience the longer it sits on the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay. The good news is you haven't damaged the clear. You need to clean up the spot with a bit of swirl remover, and then polish with a slightly milder polish to bring back the gloss.

You could use Meguairs ultimate compound, and then finish with Meguairs ultimate polish.

Get yourself some microfiber applicators to apply these products, and microfiber towels to buff it off.

I suspect the dark spot in the center is the remaining tree sap that Goo gone has not removed.

This worked wonderfully!! Thank you for the information!! I'm still looking into taking it in and having a professional clear coat restoration on the problem area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This worked wonderfully!! Thank you for the information!! I'm still looking into taking it in and having a professional clear coat restoration on the problem area.
Awesome!

Glad it worked out. I'm sure that was bugging the heck out of you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts