Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site/forum and after getting our new X about 4 weeks ago, I can't get over how much info. is shared and how helpful this is. Some great reading. How about a real basic question from a rookie ...

Does anyone have any tricks or easy solutions for getting wax residue off of rubber mouldings, black plastic areas or mud flaps? Armor-All only seems to mask over it temporarily.

Also, any suggestions on keeping it off in the 1st place?

It seems no matter how careful we are in doing a new wax job there is always some wax that gets on the mouldings.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
creamy peanut butter gets it off

not get it on? use a polymer instead of wax...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Worm...

You are a wealth of information and have taught me a great deal, but......how does one come to know that creamy peanut butter removes wax residue? I just had to ask!!;) :D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I read it on the Internet...therefore it must be true. ;) As u know, Zaino doesn't leave residue so I've never had to use peanut butter myself. It does work, though...presumably the oils break down the wax :4:

·
Registered
254 Posts
NBD's Black Trim

NBD's MDX -
Armor All will turn white when exposed to the elements in very little time. Don't use it. If you want, try Black Magic. It WILL NOT turn white. Armor All has wax in it and that's why it turns white.
I started using Zaino as a result of posts on this site. It is great because it can be applied directly on black plastic trim pieces and does not turn white - no wax. You also will not have the white excess problem in the cracks and crevices because Zaino does not dry white and will not leave a lot of dust.
If you do decide to pass on Zaino, switching to Black Magic for black trim and tires will solve most of your problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the risk of looking silly to the neighbors, I'll bite and try the peanut butter. Fortunately, my problem isn't on the new X but on our CL.

Wouldn't crunchy make more sense than smooth? More grit and texture for rubbing. :D :2: :D

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Solution for White on Trim

Found a product which says it will do what you need. Wurth's Rubber Care spray. Say's it removes wax and white marks.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Believe it or not, peanut butter actually works. I tried it last night and found that it removed the white wax on some black trim that had been with me since day 1, before I switched to Zaino.
Left a nice shiny finish! I did , however, use a premium brand of course...no store brand for my MDX!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zaino care products for the car finish and only "premium" peanut butter for the moulding. Is this a great forum or what. Nothing but the best care (and best info.) here. You gotta love it.

Is Wurth's Rubber Care spray hard to find? Or only available thru mail order or internet?

I'll give the peanut butter a try 1st but probably something less than premium, atleast initially.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner works very well on both interior and exterior plastic or rubber surfaces -- much better than Armor All ever did, IMO. I use it on the dash, door trim, cargo trim, and outside black/gray plastic trim. You probably can't find it at Wal-Mart; I get it at an auto-paint store that sells Meguiar's professional products. It comes in a tan bottle with a reddish sprayer. Warning: DO NOT store it in your car in hot weather -- the liquid expands enough with heat that the bottle will explode, coating everything within reach (plus some places out of reach! :3: ) [My younger daughter can tell you all about it!]

Black Magic works well for black "stuff", but the Meguiar's #40 seems to be more versatile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts