Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022 MDX Aspec
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got myself a 2022 MDX Aspec a few months ago and have been trying to find out if the dashboard has real leather on it or if it’s a synthetic material? So far I’ve only cleaned the dash with a damp towel because I didn’t want to spray it with the wrong product and risk damaging it.
Hope someone can help!

·
Registered
2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD Black Copper Pearl/Espresso
173 Posts
I use Adam's leather and interior cleaner. So far no complaints and easily removes stains and other muck. Really useful for sunscreen stains all over the seats, doors, and dash after those beach days.

Reactions: Mrodge

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I don't know about the 4th gen dash but on my 3rd gen I've only used a damp cloth and now after it's 8.5 years old and sits outside the entire time in the Southern Cal sun, it looks as good as it did new.

My thought on cleaning like this is to use the least strength necessary to accomplish the job and generally that's just a damp cloth. If there seems to be any dirt at all on a seating surface then I'll step that up to mild detergent and water.

I don't use anything fancy. I absolutely wouldn't use Armor-All which is like spraying the surface with grease (but maybe they've changed it in the 40 years since I last used the stuff).

·
Registered
2022 MDX Aspec
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great tips.

Just came back from swapping my summer tires at the dealership and one of the floor reps dug into a store manual and confirmed for the A-spec it’s a synthetic blend for the dash and trimmings. Only the seats are genuine leather with suede middle. One also thought their might be some laws that don’t permit a dashboard from being pure leather? Interesting

·
Registered
173 Posts
Even if it was leather most products will not harm it. I, personally, think it is vinyl like most of the interior.
Unless it's the base car, the upper trims all have real leather. Both of mine have the Milano leather and I've been in base Acura's with the leatherette; there's definitely a difference. However, the Milano leather is highly treated for protection and durability, so it's probably difficult to ruin. It doesn't require the same care you'd expect for something like BMW's Merino leather.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Unless it's the base car, the upper trims all have real leather. Both of mine have the Milano leather and I've been in base Acura's with the leatherette; there's definitely a difference. However, the Milano leather is highly treated for protection and durability, so it's probably difficult to ruin. It doesn't require the same care you'd expect for something like BMW's Merino leather.
My dealer told me that only the top surface where you sit, steering wheel and possible arm rests are leather. Does not really matter as after they treat and “work over” the leather so is just a tough as the vinyl. No need for any fancy leather dressing as the leather has been like plasticized. My only complaint about the leather in my 2022 advanced is wrinkles in the seat which appeared very quickly after purchase.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My dealer told me that only the top surface where you sit, steering wheel and possible arm rests are leather. Does not really matter as after they treat and “work over” the leather so is just a tough as the vinyl. No need for any fancy leather dressing as the leather has been like plasticized. My only complaint about the leather in my 2022 advanced is wrinkles in the seat which appeared very quickly after purchase.
Yup - that's basically what I was saying in that it's highly treated and durable. Wrinkles and scratches are a result of it being real leather though; one of the side effects of having the nice stuff. Water gets almost everything off (constantly getting mucked up from kids) and my biggest issue was sunscreen staines that I couldn't get out for the life of me. I tried a variety of cleaners including dish detergent. I did some research and this leather cleaner happened to be recommended and worked like a charm. I probably use it a few times a year when needed, and don't regularly maintain the leather with any kind of special dressings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi all, just picked up my 2023 A-Spec a few days back & came across this thread while searching for cleaning products.
Mine is White with Red interior. Just wondering if any specific product for Red interior and leather seats as this thread seems to be a few months old & checking if any updates?
Btw, whatever you are recommending I need to see if available in Canada ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I continue to use Adam's and have had a good experience, been using it for a couple years without any issues. Cleans leather (and other surfaces) really well and doesn't discolor, leave any residue, etc. Keep in mind that these are family cars and the materials are designed for good old family heavy use and getting dirty. It's not an ultra high end luxury vehicle with super fancy leather that requires special treatment. I assume most general leather/interior cleaners will do the trick. I don't know about the alcantara though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Dash is definitely not leather. Ive been using CarPro InnerQD on the entire dash area mostly because its supposed to attract less dust on the black plastic, but it has UV blockers for the dash as well. For the real leather seats I use Gyeon LeatherCoat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts