Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the process of cleaning my throttle body because it's been acting a little sticky and I wanted to get way out in front of that, and I also wanted to take the time to clean the MAF, because that normally makes sense, I think. Anyway, the thing I pulied out of the filter box that I believe is the MAF looks clean and it's confusing me; is this thing actually the MAF? Can I spray/clean it with the MAF spray in the attached picture? Side note, this Chilton manual sucks butt.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Followup question as a result of prior mention of manual suckage: how in the hell do you remove this infernal hard-line from the intake tube (picture attached)?!?!?! No amount of wiggling the hose clamp on it, yanking, wiggling the tube itself, etc. have worked, it seems to be inserted into some kind of one-way clip or joint inside its entrance to the tube itself. Can't really see what it's connected to behind the engine block but I think I've got it clamped correctly. I just need to get it out of the way to take the throttle body off. 2007 model btw. HALP!

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes that is the MAF that you pulled out.

The best way for you to separate the hard line from the intake tube is to loosen the tube from the TB and then pull the tube off the hard line leaving the actual hard line in place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that is the MAF that you pulled out.

The best way for you to separate the hard line from the intake tube is to loosen the tube from the TB and then pull the tube off the hard line leaving the actual hard line in place.
I tried that already as well, that tube does not want to budge... :[ But, I will keep trying that then, if that's really the way to do it, so be it. What about spraying that MAF with that cleaner? This isn't some kind of funky-special MAF that can't be sprayed with that stuff, or does it have a unique spray of its own or something?

Thanks for answering!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I tried that already as well, that tube does not want to budge... :[ But, I will keep trying that then, if that's really the way to do it, so be it. What about spraying that MAF with that cleaner? This isn't some kind of funky-special MAF that can't be sprayed with that stuff, or does it have a unique spray of its own or something?

Thanks for answering!
That's the cleaner I used to clean mine. I didn't remove mine from the intake tube though for fear of damaging it. You don't want to accidentally nick or scratch it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I just put it right back in the tube when I saw it, it looked basically perfectly clean so I didn't bother with that. However, I have encountered two new problems in the course of doing this:

1. I apparently have some kind of issue with whatever catchment systems that are supposed to keep excess oil out of my intake manifold, because the entire inside of that manifold is coated black with oil.

2. I now have a P0507 Idle Air Control error code being thrown by the ECU and showing up in my console, despite doing the idle relearn process thing. I mean I just put a brick on the gas pedal and kept it as close to 3k RPM as I could, but yeah.

I'm pretty sure everything is cinched up like it was before I took it all apart, I gave the throttle body plenty of time to dry out (overnight) from being sprayed with that cleaner stuff, and I'm pretty sure there's no missing hoses or anything like that that are disconnected. I did opt for a K&N air filter to replace the dirty paper one, but I don't think that should be an issue here, right?

Should I try the idle relearn process over again? Do I need to keep it at *exactly* 3K RPM without fluctuations, and if so how exactly do I pull that off? I'm supposed to run it for 5 minutes at 3K RPM, right? Or does the fan HAVE to come on even if 5 minutes already passed? DAMN YOU CHILTON AMBIGUITY. Anything else it could be? It definitely idles way too high and erratically now; consistently around the 1.8K RPM mark, sometimes over 2K. Occasionally it settles back down to like 1k or just around that. Halp!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where is the accumulated oil? Did you remove the TB to clean it?

K&N filters are crap.
Evenly coated all over the inside of the intake manifold; this was especially obvious because I did indeed remove the throttle body to clean it. I've used K&N air filters for more than a decade, never had a bad experience with them--not like they make a massive difference, it's just nice to be able to reuse something instead of chuck it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts