Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I cleaned my EGR as the code popped up when it was really loose spark plugs. However after 100k+ miles, it needed it anyways and I didn't mind doing it.

There are two schools of thought and neither are wrong IMO. The more thorough and official way would be to remove the entire intake manifold. With it being winter and not having a lot of time on my hands, I decided to do it without removing intake manifold.

I couldn't find too much on this forum so my apologies if it's here somewhere. I found a few vids on youtube though.

Our EGR valves are electronically actuated so unlike vacuum systems, there's going to be a rare chance of it failing due to the electronics rather than just having some carbon buildup, unlike the manual ones where diaphragms could break or leak and such. If you don't want to be replacing parts just for the heck of it, I'd recommend testing the actuator by connecting the pins to the 12v source(forgot which ones off the top).

Anywho, if you're going to keep the intake manifold on, you just need to remove the black "T" pipe on the right side of the manifold. What I did was place some paper towels at the EGR opening to catch any fluids and carbon.

2 cans of carb cleaner should be enough and you want to spray it down the hole where the "T" pipe was removed. There's really nothing to it other than that. I also took my compressed air hose and shot it down the top to loosen and get out any stuck carbon.

For the actual EGR valve, you can take a needle nose plier and pull on the valve to get behind it and such.

I skipped over basic instructions as you can find them anywhere but the "T" pipe is the key to doing a decent cleaning job without removing the intake manifold.

Top intake manifold cover removed and "T" pipe removed as you can see the hole on the right side of the manifold.

Underside of the intake manifold cover where you can see the heavy carbon buildup over 100k miles of driving.

EGR valve removed:

Dirty EGR Valve:

Cleaned up most of the carbon from EGR port area and surrounding areas:

Cleaned EGR valve, intake cover, "T" pipe:

Clean EGR valve. Good as new:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Nice!
was it hard to remove the EGR Solenoid? at plain sight looks like just some extensions, 2 bolts and it comes free?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice!
was it hard to remove the EGR Solenoid? at plain sight looks like just some extensions, 2 bolts and it comes free?
Not at all. Super easy especially since you swapped the radiators. It's like a 0.2 out of 10 difficulty after that. LOL. Yup, just the 2 bolts IIRC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts