Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got this letter today too. It doesn’t do anything for those of us that went to get a consumption test and didn’t qualify for the warranty work.
I went to go get a test last year and they had me go back after 1000 miles and it only showed 3/4 of a quarter loss and showed me the door. I went to change my oil myself and only 2 quarts came out after 3k miles. And it sucks cause this class action does nothing for me.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I just got this letter today too. It doesn’t do anything for those of us that went to get a consumption test and didn’t qualify for the warranty work.
I went to go get a test last year and they had me go back after 1000 miles and it only showed 3/4 of a quarter loss and showed me the door. I went to change my oil myself and only 2 quarts came out after 3k miles. And it sucks cause this class action does nothing for me.
So they told you it was losing 3/4 quart in 1,000 miles. Then you proceed to drive a couple thousand more miles without checking the oil?

·
Registered
653 Posts
So they told you it was losing 3/4 quart in 1,000 miles. Then you proceed to drive a couple thousand more miles without checking the oil?
There are some things... I just cant find an answer ....

·
Registered
30 Posts
what does the powertrain warranty gap period mean? Does that mean if people who get the pistons fixed now can still be rimbursed for it?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
what does the powertrain warranty gap period mean? Does that mean if people who get the pistons fixed now can still be rimbursed for it?
It's a six month period after the effective date of the class settlement. Essentially extends the piston warranty from now until six months after the settlement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the letter of free extended warranty last year but did not go to dealer to check the oil consumption but now I experience the excessive oil consumption. Can I still get the free extended warranty since my car is 2010 MDX with 120k miles on it?

I got the settlement letter today too. I do not need the settlement, just need the piston repair. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got the letter of free extended warranty last year but did not go to dealer to check the oil consumption but now I experience the excessive oil consumption. Can I still get the free extended warranty since my car is 2010 MDX with 120k miles on it?

I got the settlement letter today too. I do not need the settlement, just need the piston repair. :(
Same. The problem was i wasnt burning enough oil, they just topped it up, didnt say how much i burnt and sent me on my way, totally scammed i think, now im burning alot more. Does this mean we can get a new test? I dont think any acura dealers can cope as it is!? Acura should just pay out to everyone who is consuming oil. Our vehicles are worthless and we all need some kind of repair as we are burning some quantity of oil.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’ll have to double check but I thought the 6 month warranty extension period started the date of the proposed settlement notice, not the date of the actual settlement.
It's a six month period after the effective date of the class settlement. Essentially extends the piston warranty from now until six months after the settlement.

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX Advance
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's some ambiguous wording in this lawsuit. First, they say that "Excessive oil consumption" is covered. So, what exactly is "excessive"? We know that Acura says 1 quart per 1,000 miles. But, theoretically, one could argue that ANY oil consumption is excessive.

Second, if I am reading this correctly (and I am not an attorney, so there's a possibility I am incorrect), there is a new gap period where you can obtain coverage. First, it was only until September 1, 2019. Now, it seems that after the settlement is effective, you have an additional 6 months. However, I am not sure when that effective date is. It sounds like there is a hearing at 10:30 a.m. on May 28, 2020. So, it might be some time after that date. If that is true, then basically anyone is covered if you haven't already had the repair done and your car is consuming oil excessively.

The settlement also provides a warranty extension. Honda will cover under warranty the costs for a Piston Repair related to a confirmed excessive oil consumption complaint during the Powertrain Warranty Period or, if applicable, during the Powertrain Warranty Gap Period.

The Powertrain Warranty Gap Period is the six (6) month period after the settlement becomes “effective” and applies only to Class Vehicles that are outside the Powertrain Warranty Period when the settlement becomes “effective” and have not had a prior Piston Repair for which a claim for an out-of-pocket cost can be made. Check back on this settlement website for information on when the settlement becomes “effective.”

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a 2014 TL which is involved in the law suit. However, it was a Lease. I assume I can't file a claim? Since I didn't own the car nor did I spend any money on it due to excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX Advance
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about the US cars imported to Canada, is there any info regarding that?
Sounds like you would not be covered because you are not a US resident and the vehicle was registered outside the US:

The Class consists of all residents of the United States, Puerto Rico, and all U.S. territories who currently own or lease, or previously owned or leased, a Class Vehicle. Class Vehicles are 2010-2013 Acura MDX, 2011-2012 Acura RL, 2009-2014 Acura TL, and 2010-2013 Acura ZDX vehicles with J37 engines, made for sale and/or lease in the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S territories and that were sold or leased to a Class Member who registered and operated the vehicle in the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. territories.(Settlement Agreement § I.)

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX Advance
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a 2014 TL which is involved in the law suit. However, it was a Lease. I assume I can't file a claim? Since I didn't own the car nor did I spend any money on it due to excessive oil consumption.
You would still be a class member, even though you don't currently own or lease the car. I don't think you would be entitled to any benefits, though as it seems like the settlement provides an extended warranty and reimbursement for previous repairs.

There is mention in the court documents about some kind of monetary compensation ($5,000 per class member, I believe). But, I can't tell if that is something we would be able to collect or if it was only for the original plaintiffs in the case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
is there a way to check the pistons to see if there is an issue without doing the oil consumption test which requires the car to be driven like 1k miles?

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX Advance
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is there a way to check the pistons to see if there is an issue without doing the oil consumption test which requires the car to be driven like 1k miles?
I don't think you can without removing the piston itself. It's the oil control rings that are bad. You'd basically have to do half of the repair labor to remove them. You could use a boroscope to look at the valves, piston top, and cylinder walls. But, again, it's the oil control rings that you'd need to look at and they're pressed in between the piston and the cylinder wall.

I dunno. I guess there would be a ton of carbon on top of the piston and that could be a good indication. But, it might not be enough for Acura.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Btw, this lawsuit/settlement is only for US vehicles... There might be a similar case filed in Canada or Mexico. Not sure about that.
How about the US cars imported to Canada, is there any info regarding that?
Mine is a US car and I am currently in Canada. I have received the notice, I am waiting to received the scanned copy. I will reach out to them and find out if I would be part of this suite or not.

My car is on temporary import in Canada and not Permanent.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts