Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has experienced a loud clanking noise when they brake. My situation is when I initially get in the X on my very first braking I hear a loud clank noise, now bare with me since I am not a mechanic, but if I had to guess I would say the noise sounds as if my brake calipers were loose and upon braking they would make the noise I am trying to describe. Very annoying and frustrating for such a pricey vehicle, I made an appointment with the dealer already but was wondering if others might have come across a similar situation/issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I'm also having the loud clanking sound when initially braking. Haven't reported it to the dealer yet, but it's on the list I'll give to the service manager when I get the time....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have this annoying problem too. Usually most noticeable when you first start out. I checked with my service dept. and the advisor on the phone said he wasn't aware of this problem, but when I mentioned that many MDX owners on this website also had this problem, he suddenly fessed up about other complaints. He said it was normal for all Acuras. The brakes are floating on the calipers and when you change directions you'll hear a clunking sound, ie the brakes are adjusting.

I've never had this problem with my other vehicles. Altho, this is my first Acura. He said it's a characteristic of all Acuras. Is this a "cop-out" response?

Also, there is also a problem of slight hesitation when first starting out in the morning. It only happens for a few hundred feet. I thought it was just the 4-wheel drive system. The service advisor said this occurs because the vehicle isn't warmed-up yet. But, I said with fuel injection you shouldn't need to warm-up before driving. He said this is a big engine and may need warming up.

Again, the advisor said he hadn't gotten any complaints. But I stated that many members on the MDX website had complained about this occurring. (Hard to believe no one has complained about these problems to HOPKIN'S ACURA in Redwood City,Ca.).

He did say I should be careful about what I read on this website. Who would I believe?? One copping-out service advisor or a whole bunch of intelligent MDX owners....It;s obvious...I'm with all the X'ers.

I know people who have owned Lexus vehicles and they don't get this type of second rate treatment. I love the MDX, but have not been happy that the treatment is not like you would get from Lexus.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have similar problems, if you can call it that. The part about brake pads floating on calipers sound about right. That's what I thought it was since I only hear it when cold, wet, and stopping in reverse first thing in the morning out the garage. It's gone now that it's warm out though.

Similar with hesitations when first starting. Gone now that weather is warm too. I'm not too worried about these issues, however.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EXACTLY!!!!

it was normal for all Acuras

Marfong my situation is exactly as described by you....I went to the dealer and spoke to the service manager and all they could tell me (mind you it takes some cojones to tell a customer this)

"We have several other X's in the lot that do the same thing"

I looked at him in shock at first then told him I could care less about the X's in the lot, I care about mine and I sure hope any future customers voice the same concern about this noise if in fact it exists on the rest of the X's in the lot. Trust me I was bickering and making a fuss over there at Montclaire Acura (Jersey).....they just simply ruled it as normal and nothing they could do...that is @!#[email protected][email protected]# I told him and while my pourchase was a pleasant one, I cant say the same thing about the service dept.

If by chance this is normal or part of the engineering of the MDX...then what in the hell was Acura thinking!!!!??!?!?!? This is annoying! Not to mention when I have people asking me, what in the world was that noise...and my only reply is that its normal even though it sounds like we should lose braking any moment now. IMO, this is a huge defect if you ask me...I have to hear this for the life of the car and convince myself that it is normal....for $40k this is not normal, hell I wouldnt think it was be normal on a Hyundai let alone my X!

For all you mechanical minds on the forum is their a way around this, to silence this noise? :confused: Quite embarrassing when you have people admiring the X and hear that sound.... :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
floating brake pads

Hi guys & gals,
I hear this same brake noise on my brand new 1 day old black bauty, then I remember when I first got the new 97 Honda Accord I heard the same thing. When I took that car back to the dealer, they told me that all Honda's do that, Accord, Civic...... so I think this is normal behavior for MDX since it's a Honda.
Now if I can just get rid of that &%#@ vibrating sound from under the dash. My mom's 2002 RX300 has no such quality problem, zero, zilch...silence.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
????????????????????????

Well then looks like I will have to settle for the fact that it is normal for these brakes to sound this way...however if it were that normal how come your moms RX300 has no such sound....does that mean her ride is abnormal since it doesnt make that sound...:)

Does anyone know if there is some advantage to this floating brake thing? Does it let you brake faster, is it part of the anti-locking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you guys talking about a clunking noise in the rear?
My 02 X makes a clunking noise from the rear whenever I come to a stop. When I step on the brakes and the rear of the car drops back I hear a noise from the rear passenger side.
I took it to the dealer and they said it was the gas moving back and forth. I do hear the movement of the gas but I also know the difference between a knocking and water movement. The X is back in the service dept again for a tranny leak and the noise in the rear. Lets see what they have to say this time.

This is really not what I expected for a $40k car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you guys talking about a clunking noise in the rear?

Yup! Its not your imagination or gas....if anything Acura is blowing gas out their [email protected]#

The clanking noise is real, usually when you first get in the X and brake for the first time. After that it usually doesnt occur again until it has been parked for some time. I agree with you, this shouldnt be for a $40k vehicle. :mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same problems here. 1900 miles. Between the horrible sloshing gas tank, the rough engine idle at start up, the "crashing" sound every time I pass by Reverse in the transmission, the transmission hesitation when cold, the brakes , of course....I'm baffled! What junk for 45k.

I almost wish I had my 98 4Runner back. None of these problems with that vehicle. It was perfect. I guess I fell in love with all the extra toys on the X.

·
Registered
411 Posts
dbptx1:

I agree with you that these are features not desirable for a 45K car. I also can not argue with you that your vehicle might be 45K worth junk. There are several others who do not have any problem with their vehicles and do love them. The only issue I have is the gas tank slosh. I do not like it. However, being an engineer, we do try to design a lot of things in a confined space. This sometimes restricts the flexiblity you have in designing. Should the gas tank be mounted horizanttaly (side-side), there is a good chance that some other features might have been sacrificed. Overall, it's a good vehicle for 45K. No vehicle or design is perfect. It's just what you like or not like about the vehicle makes it worth it or a piece of junk. Hopefully, your and your brother's problems will not be long lasting.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Please see:
Another Clunking Noise When Braking

Yes, depending on the specific braking noise you are hearing, it can be very common across manufacturers. And, as the manufacturers move to larger and larger disc rotors, more and more people will become *aware* of this noise (it was noticeable in our Lexus RX300 but is very pronounced on our Lexus IS300 - much more than on the MDX).

J

·
0 Posts
Maybe I'm Lucky but

I have had absolutely no problems with my 2001 MDX after 9200 miles (delivery 6/26/01). No clunking from brakes, no thud, no leaking mirrors, no nav problems, no excessive wind noise, no transmission problems, no problems starting, no hesitation after cold start, absolutely none of the problems which I have seen mentioned on this forum. If your dealer tells you any of these problems are normal I can assure you that there is at least one MDX on the road that doesn't have them. So evidently it is not typical for ALL the MDX's out there. The MDX is the best riding, most comfortable, and fun to drive vehicle I have ever owned and I'm sure that there are many other owners who can vouch for it's reliability and trouble-free performance, only you don't hear from them. So I thought I'd speak for what I believe is the vast majority of owners to help reassure potential buyers that not all MDX's are clunkers.

Regards,

Johnnyreb
New Market, VA

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Maybe I'm Lucky but

johnnyreb said:
I have had absolutely no problems with my 2001 MDX after 9200 miles (delivery 6/26/01).
I share your experience with my 2002, especially with regard to noises. It's very quiet. But with under 1000 miles I am reluctant to say it will stay this way. My experience with previous cars leads me to believe things do loosen up in time, but then my previous vehicles were not in this class.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: Maybe I'm Lucky but

johnnyreb said:
I have had absolutely no problems with my 2001 MDX after 9200 miles (delivery 6/26/01). No clunking from brakes, no thud, no leaking mirrors, no nav problems, no excessive wind noise, no transmission problems, no problems starting, no hesitation after cold start, absolutely none of the problems which I have seen mentioned on this forum. If your dealer tells you any of these problems are normal I can assure you that there is at least one MDX on the road that doesn't have them. So evidently it is not typical for ALL the MDX's out there. The MDX is the best riding, most comfortable, and fun to drive vehicle I have ever owned and I'm sure that there are many other owners who can vouch for it's reliability and trouble-free performance, only you don't hear from them. So I thought I'd speak for what I believe is the vast majority of owners to help reassure potential buyers that not all MDX's are clunkers.

Regards,

Johnnyreb
New Market, VA

How about this - please bare with me! ;)
When you are reading the health magazine and it describes some sort of illness, don't you find all the same sympthomes in yourself? :eek: :13:

I can't say I have no complaints about my MDX, I also hear some strange noises and clanking, but I guess I am just less demanding of a vehicle. IMO, Acura would've benefited much more if they kept the production in Japan. Than, MDX would be a 45k vehicle, though, not a 36k like mine. :2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
clank after brake

I have similar problems. Yesteday, I sent my car to Montclaire Acura NJ for them to fix it . I just get back my X today. They told me that it was the movement of the gas and they did not find any other noise (Clank after braking). I told the service manager that my 9 years old daughter was able to notice the nosie. He told me to do a test drive with a technician. Since I pick up my X around 7.30pm today they told me it is too late to do a test drive. I wonder Montclaire Acura NJ has fixed MDXplosion problems. If so, can you keep me posted. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have just picked up my car from the dealer - and am not in a good mood! This thread describes the response from the dealer - it is a loose brake component and there is no remedy at the moment. On my car the problem is intermitent, but is not related to the first time the brakes are applied or to the weather. On my car when braking gently, there will be a fairly loud noise - some time during the slowdown - not at the beginning. Also there is a similar but quieter sound when I move off - again a few seconds after starting.

The dealer lubed the brake components and the noise is far less. They told me that all MDX's do this after a while as the brakes start to wear - my immediate reaction is that Acura should fit a new part as soon as the noise comes back, and keep on replacing until they come out with a part that works! If the noise returns, that is what I will ask for!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My MDX had its 7500 check up yesterday. I mentioned the brake clunk. The service rep immediately knew what I was talking about, asked if I could stay for the repair of it, "a known problem". When I said I had limited time - he gave me the keys to a loaner. Awesome. Also awesome was that that repair was No Charge.

The repair they did was called MOLYCOAT - they take all four wheels off and apply some stuff to deaden the sound. Works well so far! And it is supposed to last the life of the car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder Montclaire Acura NJ has fixed MDXplosion problems

I wonder Montclaire Acura NJ has fixed MDXplosion problems

Dan they were not able to fix my clanking brake problems...as a matter of fact Montclaire (Service Dept.) in my opinion does not put the customer first...when you approach them about an issue your having they always look at you as if you were lying or making the stuff up just to make them work more...not to mention they are not on top of their game as far as service is concerned.

Example:

I asked them about the Service bulletin on the weeping mirrors and they never heard of it...mind you I brought to them several month after the bulletin went out....then I inform them about the brakes and their response was "We have 4-5 other MDX's in the lot with the same noise." That is when I didnt even argue with them since even if I did get them to look into it they would do a crap job...and decided not to have my car serviced with Montclaire anymore. I am not sure what your experience has been with the Service @ Mont. Dan but I will never go back there.

I will however look for a dealer that will provide the fix MDXMOM received, thanks for posting this info MDXMOM...that clanking really gets on my last nerve everytime I hear it...

Are you in the NJ/NY area MDXMOM? If not I will search for a dealer that can provide the same fix since my X is nearing the 15k service mark. Keep us posted mdxmom and let us know if it ever wears off...the MOLYCOAT that is. I am wondering if they apply that molycoat to the brake pads or what? I would guess not since the brake pads will eventually wear down...no?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts