Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 03 MDX w/touring and nav silver w/quartz at Clair Acura tonight. For anyone in the New England area, I would strongly recommend this dealership. I worked with Michael Choate and he was honest and upfront from the start. Most of my deal was made via e-mails due to the fact that the dealership is 40 miles from my home and I didn't want to play any games. I originally tried to deal with Acura of Boston where I purchased my 2000 TL, but they would not consider any kind of reasonable deal. Once they found out I started working with Clair, they tried every underhanded scheme they could come up with to discredit the deal and the dealership.
I purchased this vehicle with front grill, fender flares, winter mats, cargo tray and cover, burlwood shift knob, wood interior, tailgate deflector, moonroof visor, running boards & wheel locks and 7yr/75k warranty for 47,628. Some options were already on the vehicle due to a prior cancellation.
This dealership went out of there way to make this deal happen and for delivery to go flawless. I only wish I lived closer to take advantage of their service department!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy with Clair, although a little surprised, I might add. I visited them when trying to decide where to order my X from. I had gone to Acura of Boston before, and when I told them that, the sales manager IMMEDIATELY started bashing Boston. He refuted every claim that Boston made (this was after Boston had bashed other dealers on why "they were the best"). After Clair I said, I've had enough. NO WAY was I going to give my business to a dealer who is so childish as to bash the other one. I honestly felt that Boston and Clair were in a war against each other and were using the most low-down, dirty tactics possible to get customers. Also, Clair told me that I wouldn't have the X until about a month later than other dealers had told me. But how much did you pay for your accessories? Because when I saw their list, and acc. prices were the ONE DETERMINING factor in where I bought my X from, I was not impressed. They were asking too much. Not as much as Boston, which was outrageous, but still too much. Acura of Peabody asked too much, too. I finally ended up buying mine from Acura of Auburn, where I got my 1997 Integra. Sooo, long explanation as to why I didn't buy from Clair, but I'm glad you're happy with your new MDX! That's all that matters. Maybe I'll see you on my way into Boston sometime!

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW, I hope you negoitated off MSRP before adding all those options!!!
Yea, I also purchased from Michael Choate at Claire, and generally found it to be a positive experience. Had a little problem with the trade-in value that kept moving each time we spoke, and was forced to sell on the open market to get a fair price.

And, yes, I also found there is some real nasty feelings between Acura of Boston and Claire. (you can read my detailed reviews of each dealership in the dealer rating section.)

However, I felt both had way over-priced accessories, so Tim got all my business!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I paid $45,189 before wonderful Mass Sales tax. Some accessories were already installed due to someone that put a deposit on the car and then backed out. I did negotiate $500 of MSRP.
Accessory prices were: front lower trim $574, mats $120, running boards $725 Moonroof visor n/c and wheel locks n/c. fender flares $750, wood instrument panel $150, knob $125, cargo tray $120, Cargo cover $175, tailgate deflector $500. I also added the extended warranty for $1450. I probably wouldn't have bothered with a couple of items (front grill and visor) but I was happy with deal and the excellent service. I was going to trade my 2000 TL with 25k miles and they were giving me $18,500, Acura of Boston told me they would give me $17,000 and if I waited they would offer less. My brother purchased the car instead. There may be a competition between these two dealers, but I believe I got a great deal and my total experience with Clair was nothing but positive. Acura of Boston had the nerve to tell me he would put me in the same vehicle for $400 more w/o many of the accessories to save me from going all the way to Walpole! All they kept asking is what options can you live without? We can get the price a little lower if you will sacrifice the options. They played with the finance rates as well.
I think that the competition between these dealers can only help us as the consumer, because Clair went to great lengths to make this deal happen quickly and easily.
I have purchased the cargo net, the separation net (for 2 small dogs) and the vent-visors from Tim. I am also adding the Viper alarm and remote start next week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Meza-Meza on Clair

Just picked up our new X on Saturday.
After having a bad experience with Acura of Peabody, we looked around
for another dealer who could get us the vehicle in the time frame we
needed. Clair was the only one that could. Our salesman, Andy Clair (owners son?) was excellent. No pressure from him to buy any extras. The finance manager Rodger, on the other hand hounded us every other day to see what dealer add-ons, if any we wanted. Also he just assumed we would use the financing they offered (4.99%). When we told him we had a better rate
through AAA he suddenly found a rate of 3.99% through a different bank. He also tried to charge us $50 for finding that better rate. When we pressed him on it
he took it off the bill.
If not for Rodger, I would give Clair an excellent rating. Oh, due to a cancellation
we took delivery one month early. Hooray!

Mike

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Congratulations gsacca on your new MDX.:7:

It's nice to hear about a positive dealer experience. Thanks for sharing this.

How do like the MDX so far?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the beginning of October the Jimmy Fund and Boston Red Sox announced new license plates for MA. Part of the proceeds would go to the Jimmy Fund. The plates were due to be released last Friday 1/17/03. Since I picked up my car on the 16th , Clair's runner was unable to get the new plates. As I was leaving, I mentioned I would now have to go to Boston to pick up the plates at a later time because it was inconvenient for me to get into Boston. Someone in the office overheard me and told my salesman to tell me they would take care of it. Friday when they went to the registry the runner was told they could not release the new plates without the old ones. Michael told me that because Monday was a holiday, they couldn't help me until Tuesday at which time he would send someone from Walpole to my office in Cambridge (about 35 miles) to take my old plates off, put a dealer plate on my car and would go to the registry on Wednesday for me. At that point I told him not to bother, he replied "we promised we would take care of it and we will." "Our runners are used to doing this, it's no problem." Today, Thursday, Michael called to tell me the runner had the plates and would be coming back to my office to put them on and give me my new registration.
Another example in my opinion, of a dealership far exceeding any expectations. They could have easily let me worry about getting the plates transferred, especially once they learned how involved the process had to be. At the very least they could have had me drive back to Walpole tonight to get them. They did all this with no mention of additional money. Now I know there are a few skeptics that will say I payed them to do the running and they do it everyday anyway, but my point is they did not have to do it. They have earned my business now and in the future!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too had a good experience at Clair. Working in Walpole and living in Boston there were two obvious choices for dealers.

The Boston dealer was unable to pull themselves together to arrange a test drive or produce a brochure.

The salesperson Pat(ricia) was very conscientious. When a silver / black opened up she got back to me immediately and I had a 2003 within ten days of placing an order.

My last three cars have been a Lexus, a BMW and a Mercedes and I would characterize the purchase experience as comparable.

Of course what will matter more is the service department. I have some vibration at 70 MPH and a cargo cover which rolls up going over bumps so we will see how seamlessly these issues are resolved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts