Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

City mileage ~11mpg?

7K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Lobo_z 
#1 ·
I realize we are only driving around town, but this seems even worse than you would expect. Anyone else experience similar or have some suggestions?

#8 ·
mdx50 said:
i have a new 06 mdx.since day one have not gotten over 13 mpg driving around town. mostly 12-12.5 mpg. the x gets terrible gas mileage unless you do long highway driving with little or no load.
I can get as low as 12 MPG driving in the city too. It really is a matter of how much time is spent at stoplights............and also how much you "race" people to the next light. Keep in mind when ever you at the light, you are getting ZERO miles-per-gallon!

The MDX responds well if you are very light on the throttle, and even back off a bit in 1st gear to let the upshift to 2nd happen early.

Also as far as little to no-load only highway gas mileage: I have gotten as high as 25 mpg even WELL loaded with camping gear and 3 people. Granted that is mostly 55 MPH 2 lane driving. But the load doesn't seem to affect it too much.

#9 ·
i got a lead foot so that's probably why i get super low mileage in the city. i notice it was around 9 mpg and it even got down to 8 mpg at one point. i got to ease off the gas pedal. does an intake lessen your mileage? i just installed a cai from manus 1980.

#10 ·
a&emdx said:
i got a lead foot so that's probably why i get super low mileage in the city. i notice it was around 9 mpg and it even got down to 8 mpg at one point. i got to ease off the gas pedal. does an intake lessen your mileage? i just installed an cai from manus 1980.
Isn't an intake supposed to allow the engine to take better advantage of the improved airflow to generate more HP and thus suffer fuel economy losses?

#12 ·
maddawg995 said:
I installed Manus' CAI too but haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage, still getting 13ish in town. As for performance, it feels a little more sluggish in first and second but quicker in the others. It may be just me.
maddawg995, what year is your mdx. mines is an 03. i couldn't use the blue gasket that came with the cai. it absolutely will not fit with it on. it was a lot harder install that i anticipated.

#13 ·
I have an '04. Yea, that blue thing didn't fit in mine either. I checked with Manus and he said that part's not neccessary. Maybe it's only used in the earlier models.

I thought the CAI itself was a breeze to install. It was removing the stock box that was harder than anticipated. Those bolts on the bottom are a real PITA.

a&emdx said:

maddawg995, what year is your mdx. mines is an 03. i couldn't use the blue gasket that came with the cai. it absolutely will not fit with it on. it was a lot harder install that i anticipated.

#15 ·
benpenjr said:
Ive usually gotten 20 MPG average, I installed a K&N filter, and it went to crap. now around 13-15 MPG. goin back to the regular honda filter.
Are you writing about an oil filter? If so the oil filter that you would have absolutely nothing to do with fuel economy.

Must be something coincidental at the time you changed the filter.
I would look for another problem.

G

#16 ·
G. COLTON said:
Are you writing about an oil filter? If so the oil filter that you would have absolutely nothing to do with fuel economy.
G
G-

Air Intake.

G

#19 ·
mileage

Gee I feel pretty good now!I use mobile 1 oil, have a tru-flow air filter, and rolling on 255-50-19 tires ,live in hilly w.PA.and am consistently getting 19 MPG!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.