1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chrome wheels pic

Here is my "X" with chrome factory wheels, just picked up today!

So far, the X has met my expectaions, I have found a couple errands to run today that just couldn't wait;)

I really like the chrome wheels look, goes well with the door handles and chrome trim. I am going to post pics in the gallery once I get the rest of my accessories installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: Chrome wheels pic

Calkc2 said:
Here is my "X" with chrome factory wheels, just picked up today!

So far, the X has met my expectaions, I have found a couple errands to run today that just couldn't wait;)

I really like the chrome wheels look, goes well with the door handles and chrome trim. I am going to post pics in the gallery once I get the rest of my accessories installed.
What was the cost if you don't mind me asking? I'm considering myself. Where did you have them done dealer or aftermarket?

Here some other pic's I found of another mdx.
These are from nanali thread above: didn't realize the thread was there.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
another

another, not my MDX found on this website it's actualy the one from the thread above from nanali.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
My dealer charged $1,000, if I remember right. They have a program set up with someone local who will keep chrome wheels in stock, and will take your stock wheels in trade. They then chrome your wheels for the next chrome order.

I wish I had checked around more locally, I might have found out who did the work and saved some money by going direct.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would like to have my oem wheels chromed, what's the going rate here in SF bay area?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Slow leaks

Has anyone experienced slow leaks once they had their wheels chromed. I heard that one drawback is that they sometimes leak where the chrome touches the sidewall of tire. They also mentioned that sometimes they start to peel when you chrome over aluminium. Alot of wheel distributors are starting to recommend replacing the entire wheel with a chromed one. Those don't peel down the road and have much fewer complains of the slow leaks at sidewall.:3: :8:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow - that pic of the the black with chrome rims looks so incredible!!!

There is nothing as pretty as a clean, shiny (Zaino?) black car. The upkeep scares me (I had a black Accord coupe a million years ago - my very first car I ever bought) but it sure is gorgeous...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Paul123

I've read that somewhere in the internet when I was researching for chrome wheels, so I guess I have to think this over real good. :8:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Chroming should NOT caause leaks.

A good chrome plater (and they are literally a dying breed, as plating is among the most toxic of all automotive-type industries) will know that you must strip/etch(chemically and/or physically through sanblasting) the aluminum wheel, plate in several layers of base metals to electrically isolate the aluminun from the incompatiable chrome, plate it in copper, polish the copper, etch the copper, plate on several layers of chrome -- buffing/cleaning between layers.

This is not an "overnight" process. I would expect $150-200/wheel would be a floor price, below that either they are cutting corners or losing money. If it is a shop in a highly regulated area (not just EPA/OSHA type stuff, but local ordinance might prohibit platers since in the past MANY platers dumped effulant into sewers and were banned) $1000 for a set is within the understandable range.

A friend's dad used to run a big operation in St. Louis, now all they do is plastics, much easier/less toxic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts