Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've been an owner of a 2016 MDX SH-AWD Tech since March. We love the vehicle, great value and this is my 3rd acura and we just came from a 2012 lease that was expiring. At around 5000 i began to hear a faint chirp sound. After reading numerous posts I saw there was a TSB for it. Thanks to our wonderful dealership's service department (sarcasm) who kept saying they don't hear anything and that it's normal I, wondering why I had to convince them, had them do the TSB for the chirping sound. I was really excited and glad that it was being done. 20 minutes from the drive home from the dealership the sound was just as prevalent as before. The advisor said the tech is on vacation so wait so he can diagnose it. 9 days later we are finally allowed to bring it back and the tech, advisor and another advisor come out and listen only to say it is normal. I said wait, this is not normal. if it's normal then it would have sounded like this the day we drove it off the lot, not something that comes up after 5-8 thousand miles. Pretty much as was to just live with it. So, I called Acura Client relations. They call the dealership and thanks to their no-rush policy (5 days later) they say bring it back since it wasn't documented that the sound was normal. I bring it back and they keep it for another 3 days only to find out that it is considered normal. What's their form of diagnosis? Well, they said they parked it next to another MDX and let it idle for an hour or so thus coming to the ingenious conclusion that it's a normal sound. The advisor even went further to state it's like a diesel. I said no, i've sold BMWs in the past I know what diesel sounds like and our previous IS250 had direct injection so the ticking is different from the chirping. I call Acura Client relations again and I let them know i'm taking it to another dealership. I explained the situation and even played a video clip of the sound. The dealership takes it apart and puts it all back together. They find out that the TSB had been done but that the spacer was bent. So, the previous dealership we bought our 2nd MDX from doesn't even bother to take it apart to diagnose the problem and let me drive off the lot with our toddler and making it seem as there is no fix yet? Unbelievable. They really believe that the general public has no idea about vehicles and that we should truly trust them. Hmm, they dropped the ball on this one and I let Acura Client relations know. After numerous visits and days without our vehicle I am happy to say the sound is gone and for those with the issue to not rest until it's solved. The money one pays pays them so they're not really doing anyone a favor by going the extra mile. Oh, I called the original dealership to let them know. They're glad it's fixed but the advisor still says well, we couldn't hear it. I thought this was a luxury brand with impeccable service. I do not expect miracles but I do expect a level of trustworthiness.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm in the same battle with Audi over a bad rattle and howl. Had to contact Audi of America, and I've had to go on a drive with the tech on 3 separate issues. Each time I dropped the car off, the techs said the car is normal and nothing is wrong. Each time, driving with them for 5 minutes, they admit their is a problem.

Chasing down sounds rattles, etc. is just not what dealers are interested in doing. They'd rather just gouge people for service and normal stuff that is very black and white. Anything that requires substantial diagnosis, they seem to half-ass it.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Ugh tell me about it.

I'm in 5 years of this noise crap with Hyundai over our Genesis. They always first start with "it's normal" then I find the source and then they're like "oh, it's a broken weld." Now I've got a new one from the fan blower after only 40k miles on the car, and they're back to "it's normal." Probably should have just lemoned it when the car went back to the dealer four times in the first year for the same problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 14 MDX and did both 14-003 and 14-025 TSB. Unfortunately, my car is still making chirping noises. Took the issue to two dealers and both said the chirping is normal due to direct injection engine.

Escalated the issue to client relation and was told there is nothing they can do since the dealers both confirmed there is no issue with my vehicle.

It is possible most MDX don't have this issue or the forum would be flooded with complaints.

I am one of the lucky few stuck with this problem. :(

First Acura and probably my last.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, it is the TSB 14-025. All they have to do is admit to it and I would be fine because it's really the principle of things. But, to tell me it's normal when there was no such sound when we did the test drive & drove it off the lot you'd think they would say there is no fix and that's it. I'd rather have them tell me that then say it's normal and that's what direct injection engines do and blah blah blah. It may work with some people but it's not good enough for me. It really has me thinking twice about renewing our lease once it's done. If it's the high pressure fuel pump then say no problem we'll take care of it no questions asked and yes it was really a rude awakening to find out how poor the dealership I purchased our 2nd Acura from is really not about anything. i mean i really couldn't believe how they would tell me we don't hear it you must have really good ears to oh it's normal then we'll start it next to another vehicle to prove it's normal then for me to have to take it some where else to be told it's a warped part.If we get enough people to take notice & file a complaint then they will surely change their tune. Funny thing is every time i take to twitter, which is not often, to address acura client relations they get back to me almost instantaneously. I remember the old days where complaints would just be lost in paperwork but now with the advent of social media getting the word out much faster it's the last thing they would want to occur. i feel bad for those that have gone thru or are going thru it. i know it may be a first world problem and life is good if a chirp is the biggest problem but again it's more the run around rather than the problem itself that's a bother. spend money and once the check is cashed they're done? hmmm...oh, Andyk496 i would take it to dealer after dealer. i know it's a pain and it takes time but just schedule a loaner and keep telling them you want it looked at since it's hopefully still under warranty. i made a recording of the sound just in case they thought i was hearing things.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got the same problem as yours. Brought the car to Dealer and they all said it's Normal. They said the noise is from the Water Pump. :(

Mine is 2016 Tech Package.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
excuses are ranging from "normal" to high pressure fuel pump to direct injection diesel noise to blah blah blah...I say this because I really had a lot of faith in Acura but not this time around. Just keep pushing and escalating to client relations. Post on twitter and you'll be sure to receive a response. Also, take it to another dealership and another if you have to. It may be an inconvenience but just because it's the same manufacturer it does not mean every dealership is the same in regards to treatment. the very same dealership, as i mentioned before and bought our 2nd one from, said it's normal and just be on your way and deal with it. My gut told me it's not normal because we didn't drive it off the lot with this sound. Get enough people to file a complaint and the squeaky wheel will definitely get the oil. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sad thing was they were aware of the TSB but kept trying to deny that the problem existed. It was really odd to me so I asked for a different service advisor and he said oh yeah i've done one before we'll get you scheduled. Crazy part is after it was done he was the one that came out while the first service advisor was out there and said this is normal I can start one up next to it. He was also the one that didn't believe I had the transmission service done on our previous MDX since the database wasn't linked to the Acura dealership I took it to for that service. It's really unfortunate to get the runaround from a luxury brand. I keep thinking maybe I should have gone with Mercedes Benz, BMW, Land Rover, Lexus and Porsche.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
sad thing was they were aware of the TSB but kept trying to deny that the problem existed. It was really odd to me so I asked for a different service advisor and he said oh yeah i've done one before we'll get you scheduled. Crazy part is after it was done he was the one that came out while the first service advisor was out there and said this is normal I can start one up next to it. He was also the one that didn't believe I had the transmission service done on our previous MDX since the database wasn't linked to the Acura dealership I took it to for that service. It's really unfortunate to get the runaround from a luxury brand. I keep thinking maybe I should have gone with Mercedes Benz, BMW, Land Rover, Lexus and Porsche.
Honestly most of the time it's a bad service advisor who ruins the whole experience and causes this issue. Acura certainly has a lot of hit and miss dealerships. I've been kicked out of an Acura dealership for wanting them to call the Extended Warranty company to get them to pay Acura for the work before they performed it and they refused and said I had to do it either way (before or after) and I've never had to do that with over 500,000 miles of driving under extended warranties. Arguing with the Service Manager didn't help my case.

Either way, find another dealer that has good reviews and leave a ton of bad reviews wherever you can for that dealership with the people's names. Yelp, etc. are great places.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts