Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chip in the windshield a few weeks ago. You can feel an indentation on the outside of the windshield, but it has not formed any cracks or grown since then. I guess it's the next size up from a chip ... what would that be ... a chunk sounds too big :D. When it hit I knew it was more than a chip and was expecting the windshield to start cracking, but I'm still waiting.

Is there anything I can do for this? I'm just waiting to go over a pot-hole and have the chip spread in every direction :eek:.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
CHIP with a dip

If you have a chip that has a crater not yet penetrated through the windshield and no "spider leg" cracks started yet, windshield repair is an excellent alternative as long as the chip is no bigger than a dime.

There is a glass liquid from windshield repairer used that when high pressured injected into the windshield...it will completely field the chip as you will not be able to tell that its there.

Pricing runs from $80.00 to $100.00 depending on the complexity of the chip.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Ms. MDX,

I agree with Fireblade6. Be careful before you get it fixed, don't wash the car if it has been sitting in the sun as it could cause the windshield to spider due to the cold water hitting the glass.....I know from a previous experience with another car.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Chip

I have GEICO Insurance and recently had a chip in the windshield of my Dodge Durango. I contacted GEICO who put me in touch with a glass repair service. The repair service came to my office and fixed the chip in the parking lot. No charge to me, they bill GEICO who will wave the deductable on this problem.
The repair man said they can fix any chip including spider legs as long as the whole thing will fit under a dollar bill.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your fate Ms. Mdx. I have had three pits filled on my windshield and the fillings are all but imperceivable (you really have to know precisely where to look and even then it is difficult to notice). Unless spidering has developed, the fill technique will provide a very adequate solution for you and it will last for the lifetime of your windshield.

If you do a search of these forums I have many posts regarding the pitting of my X windshield. I purchase my '03 X this past Oct. and now have a total of SEVEN pits, chunks and two half dollar sized (without spidering) impact fractures in my windshield. I have had it looked at by a number of windshield guys and others and have come to the conclusion that Acura uses a thinner if not a softer glass. I plan on getting the windshield replaced in soon. The feeling is that even the replacement windshield glass will have a higher degree of integrity than what I have on there now.

The X is is a pretty slippery vehicle by design with a short hood. If you drive roads that are prone to having debris and gravel littered on it's surface or if there is a quarry anywhere nearby, you may want to prepare yourself for a few more of these experiences. BTW, I learned that in fact I do have a quarry a distance away from my hometown, and the trucks haul their goods using the same route that I take for my daily commute.:eek:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! I will look at getting the chip filled in to avoid future growth.

Microman - This is my one and only chip in 9 months. We got this chip on a ski trip to Vermont, so it shouldn't become a common occurrence . Good luck with your windshield replacement :4: .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welllllllllllll, any injury encountered from a ski trip is almost a worthwhile scar (but not really). I am an avid skier and know what you are talking about with the way in which cinders, salt and shoulder debris can contribute to windshield mishaps. I lived in PA many yrs with frequent trips to Pococnos, VT & NY State. Stille very sorry about your prob and you should be thrilled with the relults from the fill in. Keep skiin:4:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
RE: Windshield replacements in general

What about the Inspection and Registration stickers?

·
Registered
228 Posts
MSU, about inspection/registration stickers, the glass installer cut out that corner of the windshield and gave it back to me for display on the dash. That can become pretty dangerous because you now have a sharp projectile sitting on your dash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts