Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19 MDX and am curious if anyone has a Chicco Keyfit or Keyfit 30 and has it installed rear facing? I'm curious if I can have the front seat all the way back with the Keyfit in the 2nd row or if it's too large and it forces the front seat to be shifted forward in order to make room?

Similarly I'd be curious for feedback on which other infant seats fit in the 2nd row rear facing while still allowing front seat to be slid all the way back to maximize legroom in the first row?

Thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remember the second row seat is adjustable. Moving it all the way back should allow ample space for a kid seat.
I'm aware of this, however I also realize that rear facing (especially infant seats) come in all shapes and sizes and some have a larger footprint compared to others. There are some seats that require a large enough footprint that the front row seat has to be slid forward in order to make room in the 2nd row even with 2nd row seat slid all the way back.

We don't own a seat yet and am doing research, so am looking for feedback for those who have run into issues with front row legroom with an infant seat in the 2nd row even with the 2nd row seat slid all the way back to maximize 2nd row legroom.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Hmm well the most common ones I hear about are the Keyfit 30, the Diono stuff like the RXT, Graco Milestone, Cybex Aton 2, Clek Fllo. I use a Doona and a Graco 4Ever Extend2Fit, and neither of them allow the front seat to be pushed back all the way (but we are both comfy in the front seats at 5'7"). If you did, you would pretty much be sitting upright or hunched over. But even when I tried the Diono RXT, it was actually longer than my Graco 4Ever Extend2Fit. We also have a Scenera Next for travel. I'm also never sure what sites to trust because they all work off sponsorships... but here's something: https://www.babycenter.com/609_got-a-small-car-8-compact-car-seats-sure-to-fit_20001048.bc

And another (this site I trust more actually): https://csftl.org/battle-of-the-infant-seats/

They all seem to be catered toward thin rather than whether or not we can sit comfortably in front of them lol

Good luck sir. Then the stroller search starts and oh man... I will tell you one thing. I've gone straight up lightweight strollers only now. My jogger sits in the garage...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have that exact car seat. You can move the front seat back a bit but since my passenger seat is rarely used I'll have to get back to you in terms of how far back it can go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 19 MDX and am curious if anyone has a Chicco Keyfit or Keyfit 30 and has it installed rear facing? I'm curious if I can have the front seat all the way back with the Keyfit in the 2nd row or if it's too large and it forces the front seat to be shifted forward in order to make room?

Similarly I'd be curious for feedback on which other infant seats fit in the 2nd row rear facing while still allowing front seat to be slid all the way back to maximize legroom in the first row?

Thanks!
I have the Keyfit 30 and the seat cannot go all the way back. My previous car was a Santa Fe and it had the same problem. Many of these rear facing seats are long/deep and they all have that problem. It’s the arch/bend in the front seat that hurts the fit. I’m sure you know this, the Chicco Keyfit line is the best out there. It consistently gets top marks for safety and ease of use. The matching stroller is great too. I was prepared to stick with Chicco for the convertible seat but it’s not as safe as the Britax units we bought. Our second is due in six weeks so the Keyfit will be returning to my car soon. I haven’t figured out who is going where yet, but someone will be in the middle position so one rear seat is useable. Unless your passenger is 6’2” I don’t think you can go wrong with the KeyFit. There’s still a lot of room in the passenger seat with the seat slid forward enough. But I don’t know of any options that aren’t also that tight. It’s all about the position and angle the infant seat needs to be in relative to the angle of the front seat-back.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 17 and occasionally put the Chicco 30 in my car.
Granddaughter’s!
The little one still faces back, I hit the seat memory to #2, put her in, then hit #1. The seat is tight but it works. I’m about 6 foot, not sure what you would if you are taller. Move the seat forward I guess.
Plenty of room for forward facing. Then they can kick the seat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
@bobby2478 how is that chicco keyfit treating you?
I've been eyeing it for a while and wanted to know if you're happy with it and maybe you would recommend it?
I have a little one on its way and she is due in a month or so. I want to be as prepared as possible.
This means that the past few weeks I've been researching car seats. Now this pretty much qualifies with a PHD thesis. The amount to choose from is staggering. And for some reasons I'm on the fence. Most of the blog reviews are hype and the amazon reviews are scary. After a ton of searching I've found a different site. When I read this chicco keyfit 30 review i knew i was on to something. What i liked about it was that they actually mention the drawbacks of the seat. How do you see it?

Any tips are welcome

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got the keyfit 2, which might be a hair bigger than the regular keyfit but pretty sure they're about the same footprint. If you need max legroom with seat all the way back then you need to put it in the middle or behind the passenger side (assuming passenger is shorter than the driver). We also got the cybex aton 2 (long story why we have 2 seats) and that one allows the front seat to be all the way back (limited recline) but I don't like the base ( attach/detatch) mechanism as much as the keyfit. Overall keyfit is a great seat u just lose legroom like most infant seats.

Nice thing about the keyfit 2 is its good until 2 years of age. So with 2 bases u only need 1 seat and can swap between cars instead of having to buy 2 convertibles right away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
31 Posts
We have a Keyfit 30 as well, I'm 6'3" and can sit in the front pax seat easily if needed. Also remember that the rears slide back an extra inch or so from the "max back" position that it sets after folding the seat back...if that makes sense. Basically, with the seat back upright, grab the bottom bar and slide it back from there to ensure it is truly as far back as it can go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts