Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___On the way to Maggiano’s last night, we past Pauly Acura in Highland Park and noticed they had 8 X’s (1 Premium and 7 Touring + trims) on the lot. This is stretching my line of thinking but I have never seen 8 X’s on Pauly’s lot at any time in the past. I don’t remember seeing even 3 at one time there so hopefully Acura is allowing supply to hit the market or Pauly just received a shipment and most are already pre-sold?

___I am sure they won’t deal but at least we are seeing an increased number of X’s on the lots in Northern Illinois which may help those looking for them in my locale. I can only hope this will become the norm all across the country for everyone’s sake.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
470 Posts
Similar at Libertyville

I drove by Acura of Libertyville last night and saw a similar sight... they probably had 15-20 X's lined up. Like you said, I don't now if they just took delivery and they are spoken for but, I agree with you that things seem to be 'loosening up' a bit. Libertyville has been advertising a lot of available MDXs recently but, I've never seen quite this many at one time on their lot.

I'm not a huge fan of Acura of Libertyville but, I've heard that they are starting to 'fall in line' with other dealers in the area (no more 'forced options', etc.).

·
Registered
22 Posts
When i picked up my X from Pauly, they ahd about 6 others in their parking lot. There were a couple of customers who were willing to pay more than MSRP if they could get their hands on one of them. But, unfortunately all of them were presold.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rjmitche:

___After reading your posts, I checked up on Libertyville’s inventory. I now see 20 X’s on their lot! That has never happened in the past … How many more do they need before they start dealing on the X’s for those that don’t have them yet in our locale?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Libertyville still amazes me.

A little before Christmas I just thought it would be fun to see if they could get me a Sage Brush Touring Navigation with no forced options sooner than Pauly and McGrath, yet I knew they previously were awful about the forced options.

So I sent them one email stating I already have orders down at other dealers, I'd rather not put down a deposit but I'd still be willing to buy if one came in soon, etc. etc.

And not more than a day later, my salesman from the email kept me updated and was more than willing to meet my requests.

Flash forward to Monday the 13 of January, and I had my new car (even though I already got the VIN from McGrath on my other order!).

Libertyville called me that day, said they got one in like I wanted, and if I was still interested, they'd hold it for me to pick up that night if I put down a $1,000. Not forcing me to part with $1,000 until the day of purchase was great! They were also very exact on the pricing and stated it would be nothing more than $41,000 + tax, title, license.

I'm telling you, Libertyville has done a 180 in my book. This was such a great purchase experience, because I didn't have to do anything. I made one email not expecting a serious response, and voila, a couple more back and forth emails and less than a month later they have my car.

I have know idea why Pauly gave me a 4 month waiting time, where Libertyville gave me a 2-3 week waiting time, but for whatever reason, Libertyville won.

I did feel sort of bad though canceling my order at McGrath, because my car came in the same day the one in Libertyville came in, but Libertyville was just a day sooner getting the car ready and 15 miles closer than Westmont. But my salesman was very understanding and said they wished us luck and if we were ever interested in an Acura again, drop them a line.

Pauly on the other hand tried to give me a guilt trip saying that they wished I wouldn't cancel and ordered from another dealer because as they said, "Gosh your car was due in less than a week...." But, thanks to Tim, I knew that what Pauly was giving me was bull, because there was no such Sage Brush scheduled for the week after January 13th. :rolleyes:

ANYWAY, yes the demand seems to be loosening, but I'm still pretty sure you can't just go to Pauly and get a new MDX like you might be able to do at Libertyville for whatever reason. I say this because our family friends just got a new unspoken for Havasu Blue Touring RES MDX at Pauly, but they were informed that they were lucky, but if they wanted ANY other color, trim, etc. they'd have to order. So even though they didn't really want the RES, they got it anyway. If I had known they were dumping their Durango, I would have told them to check around at Libertyville. Oh well, I guess Havasu Blue is a fairly slow seller (haven't seen many) :confused:

·
Registered
470 Posts
MDX4now:

It's good to hear that Libertyville is making a turnaround. It will take quite a bit for them to win back my business. They must have done a 180 in your book... a few months ago you said "Libertyville is definitely slime" in this post.

Out of curiosity, did Libertyville order the MDX (trim, color, etc.) at your request or did one happen to be coming in that matched your requirements? In other words, did you 'get lucky' with Libertyville and would your experience have been the same if a 'match' wasn't on the list of X's already on order? I ask because when I was shopping for my X, Libertyville couldn't (or wouldn't) order one to my specifications. They just looked at what was coming in and asked if I'd like to 'reserve' any of them that weren't spoken for. They wouldn't even take down my info and keep me posted (i.e. let me know if anything that matched my specs would be in the next month's allocation). The claimed that this was their standard practice and that their customers liked it better this way (which, I suppose is true if you want... or are willing to take... one of the MDXs that is 'on the list'). This was still back when forced options were the norm for AoL so, things may have changed.

After a fairly long e-mail exchange with the Internet manager, they did offer to add an X with my specs to the next order cycle but, by that time, they weren't going to be able to get it to me any sooner than other dealers in the area. They also loosened up on the forced options but, these two 'exceptions' to their normal policy made it seem as if they were doing me a HUGE favor. They made me feel as though I should be eternally grateful for them allowing me to pay MSRP for the MDX that I wanted without a bunch of forced options that I didn't want.

Individual circumstances certainly play a big role in the overall experience. To me, the wait time wasn't all that important but, getting the color/trim I wanted was. Things may have turned out a whole lot different at AoL had my specs matched a vehicle on their list.

At any rate, I'm glad your experience with them turned out to be pleasant.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi MDX4now:

___At MSRP, I would tell others to stay away from Libertyville as well. There is simply too much history with them in my few minutes there a few months ago. It is too bad they earned that reputation when there weren’t any X’s to be had because now that they are available, maybe they will feel the pain of financing that inventory for a longer period than they would have had to if they treated their customers like customers instead of Lambs to the slaughter. The Libertyville turnaround has nothing to do with their management deciding it was the right thing to do but the fact that the X is not as hot and is now available in quantity. That is the only reason! I don’t trust Pauly in my Honda dealership dealings with them either but if you have to buy an X in our locale, the inventory situation may help.

___Rjmitche, thanks for the link from so long ago. It seems like only yesterday. McGrath would still be on my short list as the dealer to purchase from in our area at MSRP but even they had some loaded up X’s with disregard to real prices. At least you could always get MSRP from their pre-orders. Thank god for the Group Buy 2 months ago in my case ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
470 Posts
xcel said:
I don’t trust Pauly in my Honda dealership dealings with them either...
Hi xcel:

I think you've mentioned it before but, what is/was your issue with Pauly? I seem to remember you saying that at one point they weren't accepting deposits or adding people to the order list.

I purchased my X from Pauly and, while I'm not gushing over the experience, I can't really complain either. I always felt that things were handled honestly. They told me up front about the wait (partially due to their size) and the price (MSRP) and didn't force options. Gave me as much (or as little) attention as I wanted. The sales manager was always willing to pull out the list and show me exactly where I stood (helped me feel that there were no shenanigans happening with my position in line). When it ended up that I got bumped up the list due to the NAV restrictions in January, I was pleasantly surprised. The delivery experience was hassle free with no unexpected surprises or pressure to buy accessories, extended warranty, etc. The biggest issue I had with the experience was the fact that they really couldn't tell me the exact dates that things were supposed to happen (build, delivery, etc.). Given the amount of questions that are thrown at Jaimie on this board, that seems to be about par for the course (no less frustrating though!).

I think your (and MDX4now's) situation goes to show that timing and individual circumstances play a big part in the overall experience. Heck, even the individual salesman you talk to can make a HUGE difference in the opinion you form of a particular dealership. I try to look past the salesman (not always easy) and try to focus on the actual business practices of the dealership - especially if I think I'll be taking my car their for service. This one of the reasons I decided against Libertyville and went with Pauly.

Out of curiosity - given your current 'disdain' for the dealerships in the area, where will you be taking your X for service when it gets here?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Rjmitche:

___It was their Honda dealership that steered me clear of them. Before looking at the X, my wife was considering a Honda Odyssey as well as an RX300, Camry GLE, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Sienna … In the case of the Ody, we went to their Libertyville Honda dealership. The one Mike Singletary used to push many years ago. With a salesman greeting us at the door saying we could not take a test drive of one and saying the (2) demo’s in the lot cannot be driven either … Before that, our 91 Accord needed a new front Stabilizer bar and the repair quote from Pauly was > $700. A trusted local shop replaced it for < $250.

___As for where we will get the X serviced, there is a newer Honda dealership just 1 mile away on Grand in Gurnee for minor maintenance when I need it. For any “under warranty” type failure, Libertyville or McGrath is where it will go.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
453 Posts
My big message just mysteriously disappeared, so I'll sum up what I just said sorta.

Basically, I'm not sure about Libertyville or McGrath. All I know is I told both what I wanted, and they told me when they could get it to me (both less than a month from inquiry). It wasn't a formal order process like Pauly (although I'm sure you *could* order one...it would seem stupid to not allow one to)

Secondly, while maybe a little hypocritical after calling Libertyville slime, I'm forgiving and just wanted my car. Libertyville was trashy in the past, but Pauly, McGrath Glenview, and Arlington were also all known to add $$$ in the past, at least on the unspoken for MDX's, so I wasn't really swayed by any dealerships so called "good reputation." Point was Libertyville took me by surprise, was no nonsense, lightning quick email responses, and said no problem to my no forced option request. So overall, they showed interest in wanting my business, and was 12 miles away from me vs. 27 miles away at McGrath.

rjmitche, I'm sorry you got the runaround. It was anything but for me, but I imagine not far fetched a little while ago.

And Pauly was okay, but I was put off my their VERY VERY vague ETA's. First it was February/March delivery, then 2nd half of January/1st half of February, then 1st or 2nd half of February. I just wanted a date! And their little guilt trip after the fact ticked me off when I canceled the order.

So we all have different feelings, reservations, guidelines, etc. that we go by to judge a dealership. For me, I was just concerned with the present day, and for that, Libertyville got me my car first, gave it to me for MSRP, and treated me phenomenally.

As for service, I don't see myself very often going up to Libertyville, although they seem to have a nice service department with nice benefits (free Starbucks and car wash every visit :p ) but for convenience probably McGrath Glenview or maybe for a lower price Muller Honda in Highland Park (not sure but MDX and Pilot are nearly identical). We'll see...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Let me just put in a plug for a really good dealership CONTINENTAL ACURA OF LISLE, Especially Kurtis Smith. Everone at the dealership I have had dealings with have been just SUPER and upfront.:2:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Are we seeing this many mdx's available across the country? Is the Toureg, GX470, XC90, etc finally making demand soften? I have one on order for March and I'm wondering if I should wait a little longer to pay below msrp. Thoughts?

·
Registered
335 Posts
jatharp said:
Let me just put in a plug for a really good dealership CONTINENTAL ACURA OF LISLE, Especially Kurtis Smith. Everone at the dealership I have had dealings with have been just SUPER and upfront.:2:
Yup, I've mentioned it before, but I'll second that - very good experience at Continental (I dealt with Greg Pew)...and they have free Starbucks and car washes, too :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Jswift2000:

___You can always get below MSRP on an X but you may have to travel some distance to do it … As far as the X’s inventory is concerned, I actually hope it is this way across the country. We are all seeing more X ads nowadays and with the numbers seen at Libertyville and Pauly, I can bet you will begin seeing discounts even at these notoriously unscrupulous dealerships sometime in the future. The plus to this is that these same dealerships will have to actually do some work for the customer instead of us walking into these same dealerships doors to be greeted by the “Hounds of Hell” ;)

___I have the feeling the economy may have more of an effect on the demand than the supply of X’s or the competition from the RX, GX, XC, X5, or the Toureg. Than again, I know a few that are looking at the Murano as a cheaper alternative to the X and RX as well … I say this while watching the local stores (Target, Kohl’s, and Walmart) sales. They are literally giving away inventory with some of the markdowns in a manner I have never seen before. Gas prices where they are today are probably not helping matters either. Here in Northern IL., we are up to $1.49 - $1.65/gal. for regular unleaded w/ a possible $2.00/gallon for regular unleaded headed this way for the summer driving months. Let’s all hope this doesn’t continue or demand for X’s will be the least of anyone’s worries …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
470 Posts
MDX4now said:
All I know is I told both what I wanted, and they told me when they could get it to me (both less than a month from inquiry). It wasn't a formal order process like Pauly (although I'm sure you *could* order one...it would seem stupid to not allow one to)
Given that the dealers were able to get you the vehicle you wanted less than a month from the time of inquiry, they must have had one that matched your specs already 'on order' and unspoken for (if I understand the order process correctly, January production orders are placed in November, etc.). If true, this obviously worked in your favor. I wasn't as fortunate when I tried the same thing - contacting dealers and telling them what I wanted. None had exactly what I wanted 'on the way'.

I COMPLETELY agree with your statement that 'it would seem stupid' not to be able to place an order for what you want - but that was exactly my experience with Acura of Libertyville. Below is an excerpt from an e-mail exchange I had with them back in late October that speaks directly to this. Again, things may be different today.
me: The way I understand things, you can't (or won't) order the 2003 MDX I want. I need to wait until something you 'pre-order' (or are allocated) matches my needs/wants. For instance, I am interested in a 2003 Midnight Blue Pearl with RES (no navigation system). When I last spoke with someone at Acura of Libertyville (a couple of weeks ago) there were no MDXs of this type 'on the list' and I was told to simply 'keep checking back' to see if/when one like that might be on order. Basically, if I understand things correctly, your dealership can't tell me if/when I might be able to obtain the car I want... and at MSRP...

AoL: We have made it a practice to accept deposits only on vehicles that we have have been allocated, and have production dates on. If I was to allow all customers to ask for whatever they want as far as options and color, etc. I would have to quote a delivery window months away (and often that spans months) as my competitors do. That is, I may have to tell you, once I have taken your order, that if placed today, you can expect your vehicle no earlier than February 1st, and it could be as late as March 30th. While this may work well for other Acura stores, we have found that our customers like a firmer delivery date, in closer range. To achieve that, we only sell what we have coming in.

me: I suppose that I can understand your rationale here but, it assumes that the buyers will be willing to 'take what they can get' as they are ordered. Who determines what colors, trim-levels and major options are included (i.e. Base vs. Touring, Navi and/or RES, etc.)? Perhaps my situation is relatively unique in that I can afford to wait for the exact vehicle that I want. $40K+ is a significant amount of money and I wouldn't feel right 'settling' for something (or, on the flip-side, paying for something extra) I didn't really want.

No response from AoL (on this point).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Update on Pauly inventory

I happened to be at Pauly today. I saw 3 MDXs in the lot that still had the 'protective coverings' on the doors and hood - 2 NBP, 1 MBP - all 3 were touring (i.e. they had a roof rack). There was another NBP/Touring in the showroom but, someone mentioned that it was sold... just not being picked up for a couple of weeks.

I saw another black MDX (in a different part of the lot) and asked about it. They said it was a '01 Base - asking price $35K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts