Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I have a 09 mdx and having the low engine oil light flash on and off ,check engine oil level flash on and off in the display.
Engine oil level ok.
Anyone having this problem
Please advise me on what going on...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Because you have checked that your oil level is fine the cause will be the Oil pressure switch failing. Easy 5 min fix remove harness use deep socket to unscrew , screw new pressure switch in, attach harness! Done

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
+1 on the Oil Pressure Switch
Common fail on in Hondas.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I did this on my 2007 MDX, with around 100,000 miles.

Before I installed my new part, I cleaned out my engine with some BG EPR.
1. I kept the oil filter on and installed clean conventional oil.
2. I drove up to the store and back.
3. I poured in a can of BG EPR and let the engine run at 2000 RPM, for 15 minutes.

4. I changed my oil filter and installed full synthetic oil.
5. I changed my oil pressure switch. I did not want to clog up my new oil pressure switch with the crud that the EPR was going to break free.

Remove the passenger front wheel for easier access, for better access to the oil pressure switch.
The hardest part was getting the plastic plug off of the old pressure switch and getting a 2nd plastic plug off an adjacent connection.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I did this on my 2007 MDX, with around 100,000 miles.

Before I installed my new part, I cleaned out my engine with some BG EPR.
1. I kept the oil filter on and installed clean conventional oil.
2. I drove up to the store and back.
3. I poured in a can of BG EPR and let the engine run at 2000 RPM, for 15 minutes.

4. I changed my oil filter and installed full synthetic oil.
5. I changed my oil pressure switch. I did not want to clog up my new oil pressure switch with the crud that the EPR was going to break free.

Remove the passenger front wheel for easier access, for better access to the oil pressure switch.
The hardest part was getting the plastic plug off of the old pressure switch and getting a 2nd plastic plug off an adjacent connection.
you didnt clog up the oil press switch, but what did you clog up???:surprise:

·
Registered
751 Posts
you didnt clog up the oil press switch, but what did you clog up???:surprise:
Nothing got clogged, at 100,000 miles. I'm at 105,000 now. It's part of my maintenance scheme.

I would expect a 200,000 mile engine, which was never "flushed" as part of regular maintenance, to dislodge contaminates and have issues induced by BG EPR.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nothing got clogged, at 100,000 miles. I'm at 105,000 now. It's part of my maintenance scheme.

I would expect a 200,000 mile engine, which was never "flushed" as part of regular maintenance, to dislodge contaminates and have issues induced by BG EPR.
everything that you,re dislodging then travels thru the oil pump before it goes thru the oil filter, oil pumps have very close tolerances, i believe if you change your oil every 3k you wont have to worry about a sludged up engine good luck

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
everything that you,re dislodging then travels thru the oil pump before it goes thru the oil filter, oil pumps have very close tolerances, i believe if you change your oil every 3k you wont have to worry about a sludged up engine good luck

You are wasting time, money and pollute the environment by changing oil every 3k miles! It’s 2019, time to change your habits!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I am doing 15K oil changes for almost 10 years now with no issues on either of my cars....
This is my 2002 TLS J32A2 Drivetrain with 190K and oil changes every 15K since 2007:

·
Registered
739 Posts
You are wasting time, money and pollute the environment by changing oil every 3k miles! It’s 2019, time to change your habits!!

It shouldn't be a blacket statement. The oil change interval depends on the driving condition. Most people are in the "severe" condition category. Amsoil Signature series oil that can go to 25,000 miles, and Amsoil recommends to change the oil at approximately at 10000 miles when driving in severe conditions.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Only oil analysis can tell you how you are pushing the oil. As the parameters for "Severe Conditions" fluctuate wildly between oil Manufacturers..
Oil analysis can precisely show you how long you can push the oil..

·
Registered
322 Posts

my used oil gets recycled it keeps many people employed at recycling plants, it keeps us from having to drill for millions of gallons of crude oil each year ( how much pollution does that cause? ) Recycling oil is cheaper than refining oil from crude. It takes 42 gallons of crude oil but only 1 gallon of used motor oil to produce the same 2.5 quarts of lubricating oil. Recycling oil also reduces our independence on foreign oil; the more oil we recycle, the less oil we need to purchase from other sources.
like u say It’s 2019, time to change your habits!! besides i drive very short trips to and from work, my engine does not completely get up to operating temp bad for oil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts