Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to the dealer service dept for the 4th time in 4 weeks in order to deal with the "Check Engine Light" problem. Have checked other threads and discovered this is not an uncommon problem. It is not the gas cap as the dealer first informs you. Have had a part replaced and the X out of action for 3 days during the 3rd visit. At least the dealer had let us use a loaner. Any one else with this problem that Acura cannot seem to resolve? Otherwise, the X, as others have reported, seems to run fine. Anybody else with this problem?

'late '01 Mesa Beige, Nav, plenty of accessories.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check Engine light is on.

Uh oh. My Check Engine light just went on 3 days ago. I screwed the gas cap on tighter (just like the book told me to) and nothing changed. I'm scheduled to take it in later this week. Sounds like this could be an adventure - that's one of the problems with buying a new car, you've got to be the one to work the bugs out of the system.

By the way, I've also noticed that the Brake and Battery light come on every now and then (at the same time) and then just disappear. 6000 miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check Engine Light

Good luck! Just had our X returned two days ago after one week waiting for a new "oygen sensor valve" I will post a more accurate description of the chain of events. (4 times for service on this same problem in 2 mos., very unAcura like!) So far so good. Acura claims there is no Tech Serv Bulliten (TSB), out on this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Slightly unrelated. Did they give you a loaner while it was out of commission? My dealer claims that they will only give loaners out for a day (not even overnight). I may need to change dealers!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loaner

insist! For the 2nd., 3rd., and 4th visits I insisted that we at least get a TL, which we did. The dealer actually is ok, polite, and really did not resist giving myl wife an auto that was at least not an integra. Again, good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
T.W. MC - As promised:
Mid November: Check engine light activates. One day at dealer service. "Advised customer to tighten gas cap until it clicks" they then reset the warning light.

Late November: Check engine light goes on again. One day dealer service. Dealer claimed that the gas cap was "loose again" or so their Diagnostic computer said so.

Early December: Check engine light goes on again. The dealer computer claims "Evap System Failure". Service "found cannister Purge Valve and replaced" the problem was that the valve was "bleeding vacuum". Kept the X 2.5 days/ loaned a low mileage fully loaded 2001 TL.

One week later: Deja Vu all over again. 4th visit. Service kept the X five working days. Loaned another TL for full five days. "Inspected and replaced emission 2 way valve and bypass valve." Picked the X up last Sat./ wife so far reports no light activation. Somewhat disappointing in a 40K premium Japanese auto/ 1st year or not. Will keep you posted. If you have the opportunity, keep us posted! Check the "Search" for other posts on this Engine Light problem. We are not alone! Good luck, hope your dealer is able to fix it the first time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took MDX in for one day. Checked all systems - everything okay. Reset the computer and no problems since. It's been 3 weeks, knock on wood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe that they performed the MDX version of Ctrl/Alt/Delete -
push the brake pedal, lay on the horn and turn on the radio - voila, system rebooted, ready to go!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Haven't had any "Check Engine Light" probs with my year old MDX but my 4 mo old RSX is behaving like all the rest of the threads. Sounds like an endemic Acura problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my suv started showing the same pblm. have appointment for monday.

but it's ok to drive car with 'chec engine warning led' ON ????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, according to the owner's manual it's okay to drive it. Also in the owners manual, it will tell you to first try tightening your gas cap. I don't believe that this has ever actually fixed the problem for anyone, but it will be the first question your garage will ask you when you go in. Hopefully, it will just be a computer glitch like mine and you'll have it back in a day!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same trouble!

:eek: MDS 2001 in th shop twice no fix. Third times for 3 weeks -got it fixed but I have to call Acura 1-800 numbers and their Regional Technical Support helps the service department. Everything is fine after all- except that ripping water for side mirror after car wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
WOW....I consider myself lucky then...So far knock on wood....since 1985 EVery Honda car and motorcycle and Acura I own have not had this problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Weveryone with Engine Warning Light:
Did the dealer tell you what was tripping the engine warning light?

Me, the service manager told me that the diagnostic computer is telling them its the torque converter....

Like to know what other stuff triggers the check engine light to come on.

Mike

·
Registered
250 Posts
megabuck2...

The check engine light will come on, if the gas cap is not tighten sufficiently....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Check Engine and VTM Warning Light

Our 2002 X with less than 2,000 miles lit up yesterday 100 miles from home. Check engine AND VTM warning lights came on. As cautioned by the this forum, we checked the gas cap first [it was on fine]. We took it to Acura dealer immediately [VTM light bothered me]. Once we covered the gas cap stuff, they read error codes and said codes showed:

(1) Defective Computer
and/or
(2) Oil Pressure Problem

Remote dealer checked oil pressure and determined it was fine. Said it would be safe to drive home [which we did], directly to local Acura dealer. Have a TL loaner, they have the X. Will let everyone know what they find ....

J

·
0 Posts
Can computer be reset by owner to see if check engine light will come on again or if it is just a glitch? Or can this only be done by service department?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it can only be reset at the garage - keeps money in their pockets!

Hopefully, if multiple lights are coming on, your problem will be similar to mine - just a computer glitch. I haven't had a problem since they reset it and I just went through my 7500 mile check.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Doubt Reset will Cover

X is at 2nd dealer now, 1st one [100 miles from home] checked it to determine whether it could be safely driven home. I suspect that they would have tried resetting it -- wouldn't they?

Then again ... maybe not !!

PS -- Wife is upset [her baby]. Worried it will turn out to be another Honda Passort. I have assured her "no way, this is "Honda built". Sure hope I am right [have read about poor guy with trans problems ....]

PSS -- Acura is treating us nicely [at least so far]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
srpbep
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing